WW1 blanket?

ww2_1943

Hey gang,

I have a blanket I bought for $10 over the summer. I thought it was a standard issue ww1 blanket because of the stripes and not knowing much else about ww1 blankets :). I have done some research on this page http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/ww1-blankets.html and now believe it may be a horse blanket. I don't have the dimensions, but it is big and heavy. I have attached a couple pictures I took of it back in the summer. Any ideas?

post-641-1292776975.jpg

It is one stripe on each end, but I think it may be a blanket that covers an actual horse.

Does the tag on the blanket look like a military tag? Has anybody ever come across one like mine?

it appears to be what the others have said, a WWI era bedding blanket. The saddle blanket is quite alot different (2 stripes and the US and ordnance bomb embroidered in the center) and the tag is what I expect to see on lightly used WWI bedding blankets. I don't think there is any horse or cavalry connection whatever. Still has value as a nice example of the WWI blanket

Tom Bowers

it appears to be what the others have said, a WWI era bedding blanket. The saddle blanket is quite alot different (2 stripes and the US and ordnance bomb embroidered in the center) and the tag is what I expect to see on lightly used WWI bedding blankets. I don't think there is any horse or cavalry connection whatever. Still has value as a nice example of the WWI blanket

Tom Bowers

Thanks for the info Tom. The blanket is thicker than other ww1 blankets I have come across. As for the tag it doesn’t list the name of the contractor, contract date, the depot, and a blank for the inspector. The blanket doesn't have a US mark in the middle.

Despite all this would you say this is 100% ww1?

Tom Bowers

From what I have seen, all branches of service were issued the same bedding blanket, which is what this blanket appears to be. Those persons who rode horses had a horse or saddle blanket issued along with the rest of the appropriate tack. A horse "cover" is a totally different kind of covering for the horse for use in severe climates which was canvass duck lined with wool blanketing material with closures on the front and slots for the surcingle to fit through to secure it to the horses back.

WB

From what I have seen, all branches of service were issued the same bedding blanket, which is what this blanket appears to be. Those persons who rode horses had a horse or saddle blanket issued along with the rest of the appropriate tack. A horse "cover" is a totally different kind of covering for the horse for use in severe climates which was canvass duck lined with wool blanketing material with closures on the front and slots for the surcingle to fit through to secure it to the horses back.

WB

Great info. This is what I was going on as far as horse blankets are concerned:

In addition to bedding blankets, horse blankets are fairly common as well on the collector market. The Ordnance Department was responsible for tack and mounted equipment (meaning the Ordnance Department was responsible for horse blankets while the Quartermaster department was responsible for bedding blankets) and prior to the war the horse blanket had both the “US” brand and the Ordnance Department’s “flaming bomb” embroidered in the center of the blanket. The “US” brand and flaming bomb were dropped from wartime production of horse blankets, and if the label is missing from these blankets, they may be mistaken for bedding blankets. A large number horse blankets have appeared on the market both with and without the “US” and flaming bomb, which were sold off by a number of New England National Guard organizations dumping surplus equipment. Also according to curator Steve McGeorge, “review of catalogs from military clothiers and suppliers of the period selling officer uniform and equipment include blankets alleged to be made to government specification. In the case of these and later commercially manufactured ‘Camp Blankets’ it may very well be impossible to distinguish these from Government Issue blankets if there is no legible tag present, especially after some 80+ years of wear and tear.”

Here's one of my M1908 horse blankets with the 2 stripes and US and Ordnance bomb embroidered in the center. Horse blankets are also larger than bedding blankets.

MVC_106S.JPG

Bonjour.

WB

;)

post-241-1292835603.jpg

post-241-1292835625.jpg

post-241-1292835646.jpg

post-241-1292835546.jpg

The post 1900 military horse blankets are generally 72" by 84" in new condition and a few inches less either way due to shrinkage for the older more used ones. This link is a pretty decent break down for WW1 blankets.

http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/ww1-blankets.html

Thats a great link. I included that link in my first post in this thread.

I will measure the blanket this week.

Does anybody have a ww1 blanket with a tag like mine?

Dose the blanket have to have US in the middle to be military issue?

Thank you to everybody who has chimed in.

Gosh I am taking this too far :wacko: I just sent an e-mail to the BERKSHIRE HISTORICAL SOCIETY in Pittsfield Mass. I asked for the dates that the Mill was in operation and if they had any records pertaining to military contracts issued to the mill. I googled the Mill, but only some old textile directories showed up referring to JAS. & E.H.