"Patton" Cavalry Sword -- Anyone know much about these?

shrapneldude

Hello! Does anyone here know anything about the "Patton" Cavalry Sword in terms of collectability, usage in WWI, last issue, etc? I know the Army asked 'Master Swordsman' then Lt. George Patton to come up with a new design for the Cavaly Saber, etc. etc.

I seem to be smitten with one I saw in a local shop, but the $650 price tag seems a bit high, thought it seems in pristine condtion. Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

One thing you need to keep in mind is that this sword has been convincingly reproduced within the last few years so look very closely at minty examples. the price sounds a bit high to me even for an original.

Early ones had a peg on the end of the scabbard so it could be used as a tent pole and later ones do not. They have different dates and the WWI examples seem to command more money. Look closely at the one you are considering and see what the date on the blade is and who made it. Newly black painted fittings probably indicate a fake.

I hope this is helpful.

Last one that I had sold for $525

V35180-1.jpg

Had a slightly better one that sold for $575 a few months previous to that:

V31278-1.jpg

They are desirable, but not "rare". Unfortunately, some of the Civil War / Gun Show guys have been trying to get anywhere from $800 to $1200+ for them lately. They do not seem to be selling at those prices, but such speculation can have a domino effect - enough people see others asking that kind of price, and assume that it is the going rate.

They are commonly seen on tables with these kind of speculative price tags at the big gun shows in Louisville and at the Baltimore Antique Arms show (where your average $325 M1905 bayonet and scabbard also carries a price tag marked between $650 and $1000 as well.)

At normal militaria shows and on websites run by dealers who like to turn their stock over quickly rather than sit on it for years, you can find good examples of the "Patton" saber for $450 to $600 depending on the date and condition. Earlier dates are more popular of course, and finding one with the tent pole 'toot' still intact on the scabbard drag will dramatically increase the price.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that this sword has been convincingly reproduced within the last few years so look very closely at minty examples.

Not even *close*. I collect M1913 sabers, and out of curiosity I bought one of the Sarco copies and one of the Windlass copies. Both are nowhere near an original in terms of detail, markings, quality or balance. And the repro scabbards are particulary deficient in terms of authenticity.

The Springfield Armory produced these swords from 1913 to 1918 in various quantities, with 1914 being by far the most common year. These swords are marked with SA and a date on one side of the ricasso, and US with a serial number on the other side. SA produced approximately 35,000 of them.

When WWI cranked up, the Springfield Armory focused more on bayonet production, and the firm of Landers, Frary and Clark was contracted to produce the M1913 sabers. They are marked with LF&C on one side of the ricasso, and have an inspector's mark on the other side. There are supposedly some serial-numbered LF&C sabers, but I have never even seen a photo of one. LF&C cranked out approximately 93,000 of the sabers.

Sabers from both manufacturers are of very high quality. The SA swords bring a premium over the LF&C swords, being dated, serial-numbered and produced in fewer numbers.

I don't know which sword you're looking at, but $650 is rather steep unless the saber has some scarce accouterment, like a nickeled officer's scabbard or an original saber knot. They regularly go on Ebay for around $400...

This site has some basic info: http://www.springfieldedge.com/saber_m-1913.html

finding one with the tent pole 'toot' still intact on the scabbard drag will dramatically increase the price.

$2300, ended today.

post-1047-1188701304.jpg

Very, very nice swords gentlemen! I thank you all very much for the help. Did these ever actually make their way into combat? I've about "maxed out" my collection with the Trench Knives, and for whatever reason, I'd never seen or even heard of the Patton Sword until this weekend, and now, being the helpless collecter I am, I've got to have one!

Thanks again for all the help!

There's no documented case of the sabers being used in combat, but there were several thousand knives made from cut-up pieces of the sabers during WWII. The odds are good that one of those were used in actual combat.

armistice111118

Thirty years ago I purchased an un-issued M1913 "Patton" cavalry sword with a single serial number, made at the Springfield Armory. The scabbard has the tip. I'm a bit startled by this quoted selling price but not that surprised. I recently saw an issued M1913 in nice shape for $675. The date was 1913 but the scabbard was without the now sought after tip.

The M1913s are an interesting addition to any collection and the accessories - though hard to find - are worth looking for.

Thirty years ago I purchased an un-issued M1913 "Patton" cavalry sword with a single serial number, made at the Springfield Armory. The scabbard has the tip.

Can I be in your will? w00t.gif