Poignant Photograph discovery

devildog34

I have attached a few photos to a few Marines that I thought were poignant reminders of the people behind the statistical figures.

Miles H. Dodge was a 21-one year old writer for the Rochester Herald when he enlisted in the Marines on April 18, 1917. He was from Camden, Maine and was with the 18th Company 2nd Battalion 5th Marines. He was killed in action June 1, 1918. I believe that he was the first Marine killed at the engagement at Belleau Wood. His unit had just moved into Bois de Veuilly a few kilometers west of Belleau Wood, St. Martin Woods and Lucy-le-Bocage. I am awaiting his records to verify the cause of death but undoubtedly he was killed by artillery fire although according to Capt. Elliott Cooke, an army officer assigned as a platoon commander with the 18th Company, there were casualties caused by strafing enemy planes.

post-2182-1291863769.jpg

post-2182-1291863826.jpg

Pvt. Willard G. Leenhouts was the son of a physician from Detroit, Michigan and enlisted May 2, 1917. He was assigned to Headquarters Company working as a messman. On July 3, 1918 while occupying a position in Belleau Wood, according to PhM Forest Medkirk, mail call was sounded and Leenhouts had just gotten up out of his hole to go see if any mail had arrived for him. Medkirk claims he had just talked to Leenhouts a few minutes before mail call when an air burst shell detonated and a piece of shrapnal hit him in the chest killing him instantly. Pvt. Robert Carroll also a member of Headquarters company stated that Leenhouts was instantly killed and never knew what hit him. He was buried in the nearby town of Voi du Chatel. Acccording to a April 14, 1930 letter by Willard's aunt, Dr. Leenhouts, Willard's father, left his practice to go overseas to assist as a doctor in a Paris Base hospital immediately after learning of his son's death. Very sad reminder. From what I have been able to discern, Pvt. Leenouts is likely the last or among the very last Marines to die at Belleau Wood, we cannot of course forget that members of the 26th Division added further heartache and tragedy to the soils in and around Belleau Wood during much of July 1918.

post-2182-1291865271.jpg

post-2182-1291865369.jpg

Sorry I just realized I posted this in the edge weapons section, did not realize I was in that section when I posted it. It probably belongs in photographs and ephemera. I hope you enjoy nonetheless.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

Miles H DODGE

ASN:117045

Enlisted April 15, 1917

18th Co

KIA

Willard G LEENHOUTS

ASN:120536

Enl May 2nd 1917

HQ Co

5th Regiment

KIA

Teufelhund

Kurt Barickman

As always, great research Kevin. :thumbsup: Any thoughts about publishing your Belleau Wood work for the masses?

Kurt Barickman

Slowly working on it, it is a very long arduous process especially with my schedule but it certainly is nice to hear such awesome words of encouragment! Many thanks.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

• 1 month later...

Photos sent by Lt. Victor F. Bleasdale to Cpl. Frank W. Dunham (15th Co. 6th Machine Gun Battalion)

USMC in Belleau Wood June 1918

"1st Sgt. Hunter carted to the grave Belleau Woods"

post-22711-1295537196.jpg

Photos sent by Lt. Victor F. Bleasdale to Cpl. Frank W. Dunham (15th Co. 6th Machine Gun Battalion)

"The crack MG Sect of the world after 28 days in Belleau Woods"

post-22711-1295539605.jpg

"Bigelow Belleau Woods" (referring to Sgt. Irving F. Bigelow)

post-22711-1295556003.jpg

Reverse of photo

post-22711-1295556105.jpg

Pvts Hagan Meyers + Duda

post-22711-1295556561.jpg

reverse of photo

post-22711-1295556584.jpg

Pvt. Edward Duda - Gassed June 3, 1918

Pvt. Harvey J. Hagan - Killed by enemy shell fire 6-22-1918

Pvt. Nicholas Meyer - not wounded or killed at Belleau Wood

post-22711-1295557199.jpg

post-22711-1295557219.jpg

Here is a memorial to him in Maine. He is buried in France at the Aisne-Marne cemetery

Camden is 20 minutes from me where is the memorial? thanks Jason

post-22711-1295569762.jpg

reverse of photo

post-22711-1295569780.jpg

Pvt. Russell D. Smith (on left) Cpl. Frank W. Dunham (on right)

Amazing photos.......thank you so much for sharing. Semper Fi......

DITTO That! Great pics. Thank you. Semper Fi....Bobgee

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle

"1st Sgt. Hunter carted to the grave Belleau Woods"

post-22711-1295537196.jpg

pahiggins,

Please post more pictures from this group. These are great pictures showing fresh views of a hallowed place to us old Marines.

Semper Fi,

Jim Tarleton