• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:34 AM

Folks, these showed up on ebay today. Do not be fooled, I doubt they are actually "theater – made"… but anything is possible. Look very closely at the rear; note a new "c" clip on one, different color pin's and pin holder mounted to bottom of and the other to the top of the anchor, with pins going in opposite directions. I think someone took a legit pair of Ronson screw backs and converted to pinbacks…? At best these are a conversation piece, with little value now and certainly not the opening bid price... s/f D.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Attached Images

• _B9yks1Q_mk___KGrHqF__lkEy_jC1OjmBM6__iV_z____3.jpg
  • _B9ykwLgEWk___KGrHqJ__hYEze_PSTv6BM6__sOHz____3.jpg

#2 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,676 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:04 AM

He also has this - and it too appears to be a fantasy piece:

blackega1.jpg

blackega2.jpg

Are these from the guy who Washington DC who makes all the EGA's that don't look like any actual known EGA's?

#3 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:32 AM

He also has this - and it too appears to be a fantasy piece:

Are these from the guy who Washington DC who makes all the EGA's that don't look like any actual known EGA's?

The lead pin pictured above is from WW2 era and referred to by most as a sweetheart type.

"USNUSA" is located in Illinois, http://feedback.ebay...tab=AllFeedback he has been selling ones like the fantasy piece I included above for 10 years or more. However slacked off selling them once the forum became widely known.

"NCHS" http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item3ca1547897
is located in VA and sells the reproductions.

#4 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:16 PM

appears he painted them too

#5 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:33 PM

Ronson pieces? Maybe, a big maybe. No known evidence suggests that these type insignia were made by Ronson or Art Metal Works. Orgel's reference mentions Ronson as a maker for a similar looking hat device that has the same looking eagle, but again, no evidence exists (as he doesnt cite where he got that info). There are quite a number of information gaffs in that reference. I have looked in Ronson catalogues and have consulted Ronson collectors and no one knows anything or has seen anything.

As for these two, the left side piece is an original, possibly collar, possibly sweetheart. The right side is a poor lead looking copy, with a poor attempt at making a pin and catch. Both of these have been poorly painted to make them look like officer's insignia. I believe that matching sets do exist in pinback and screwback. I have seen these (as singles) in gold plate, gold wash, sterling silver, and blackened bronze with a plethora of attachment styles. I have only seen one set of matching bronze and I think two sets of mismatched colors. I do not own a set in my collection. I have about 4 or 5 different singles (all lefts). I speculate the majority of these as sweethearts or possibly made for jewelry as their seems to be a large amount of lefts.

I do have one photo of an officer wearing these in the late 1920's. However based off of their cheap appearance and oversized look, and that better looking collar versions were available, I am speculating that they were not popular nor worn to much degree.

This collector's opinion...and am still waiting for a "real" set.

#6 williamsmilitaryrelics

williamsmilitaryrelics
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,240
  • 378 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:00 AM

I have one like that somewhere...

#7 williamsmilitaryrelics

williamsmilitaryrelics
  • Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:19 PM

I have one like that somewhere...

I find it...
but, I guess it's not a good one, because of the pin type...

Attached Images

• 004_Medium_Web_view.jpg

#8 williamsmilitaryrelics

williamsmilitaryrelics
  • Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:20 PM

I find it...

Attached Images

• 008_Medium_Web_view.jpg

#9 Leatherneck72

Leatherneck72
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,737
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:18 PM

Really?? Is there even a question here? The ones currently listed on Ebay are OBVIOUSLY BAD. They are very clearly re-casts off of a known example, the continents are painted gold, and the pins are recently brazed on with the discoloration to the attachment points even visible in the photos. I see they are up to 300 bucks....nice. :thumbdown:

#10 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:40 PM

don't think a question, more of a humor post IMO

#11 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:06 PM

I find it...

William,
You are totally missing the point.. the one you just posted above is fine..the crude cast one that has been painted by a third grader that is currently at auction as a manipulated " dress officer" set... is bad.

Mike

#12 williamsmilitaryrelics

williamsmilitaryrelics
  • Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:56 AM

William,
You are totally missing the point.. the one you just posted above is fine..the crude cast one that has been painted by a third grader that is currently at auction as a manipulated " dress officer" set... is bad.

Mike

mike
:lol: , I just love it... typical about me, for now on, I'm just gonna post pictures and try to avoid comments... :lol: :lol:

william

#13 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:55 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users