Marine Barracks, Mare Island Navy Yard

Rustykamel

Toured the former navy yard last week and snapped this photo. Signs on Mare Island state some of the old homes are for sale, but doubt the barracks is one of them. I am told scavengers have gotten inside ripping out copper. View from backside faces San Francisco Bay. Barracks are near the golf course---possible apartments for retired Marines? Semper Fidelis, Jim

post-397-1290358942.jpg

• 11 months later...

As a Marine stationed here in the early/mid 80's. We're looking into trying to get the old barracks back from a Bankrupt Lennar Homes who purchased it from a bankrupt city of Vallejo for $1, that's right one dollar. ennar was going to turn the inside into Condo's. Anyhow, we're contacting the powers that be including headquarters Marine Corps and attempt to get their endorsement as well, turning the old barracks back to what it looked like during active duty but with a twist. It's now a historical landmark of course. The Marines who were stationed there over the years would like to turn this old barracks into a Bed and Breakfast/museum. Returning the old Chesty's chow hall inside along with game room, meeting rooms, the library, the basketball court and weight room in the basement, the admin side utilize as a recruiting office for active duty Marines, MCROTC etc. On the Guard side, returning the old TV room to watch old military movies etc. The pistol range in the basement along with armory. Damn shame the way the place looks but hopefully with a few good investors we can get it back and return it back to it's original glory.

Semper Fi!

Mike W. Marine Barracks Mare Island 06/84-12/85

post-50877-1321376145.jpg

Mike-

Welcome to the forum!

Is that the bulldog who died from being strangled by his collar when he jumped over his house? My father in law was base commander while you were there and my wife (as a little girl) still talks about the poor dog... :pinch:

We were actually just at Mare Island on Sunday. I've been wanting to go up and take a look at the Marine Barracks, but haven't yet. Not sure if you've seen the Marine senior officer houses that have been "in process" of being moved for a while now. Two of the Marine officer houses were for sale, but as of Sunday the sale signs were gone and they still look empty. Not sure what the situation is on those.

My in-laws have actually discussed buying their old house (Qtrs D) from the city, but at this time they won't sell them. Since the city is bankrupt though...who knows what will happen with everything.

Keep me posted on your quest...I'd like to help out if I can since Mare Island means a lot to my family.

Dave

Is anyone looking into the possibility of getting it declared as a Historic Landmark?

I believe they are a historical landmark, as is most of the base. Still won't stop someone from tearing them down though... :pinch:

teufelhunde.ret
I believe they are a historical landmark, as is most of the base. Still won't stop someone from tearing them down though... :pinch:

Yes they can, under certain "historic district" standards, one can file an injunction relief. Which effectively puts any destruction on hold until the Courts & Dept of the Interior can review.

teufelhunde.ret
... Anyhow, we're contacting the powers that be including headquarters Marine Corps and attempt to get their endorsement as well,

BTW, has your group filed for 501c(19) status or similar?

Welcome to the forum, Mike. The former Mare Island Marine Barracks still has a million dollar view--do hope that you're successful. Last week took Skaggs Island road off Hwy. 37. Gated less than a mile in. Nowadays, jerks using road as dump--shame the gate isn't right at Hwy. 37. Semper Fidelis, Jim

As a Marine stationed here in the early/mid 80's. We're looking into trying to get the old barracks back from a Bankrupt Lennar Homes who purchased it from a bankrupt city of Vallejo for $1, that's right one dollar. ennar was going to turn the inside into Condo's. Anyhow, we're contacting the powers that be including headquarters Marine Corps and attempt to get their endorsement as well, turning the old barracks back to what it looked like during active duty but with a twist. It's now a historical landmark of course. The Marines who were stationed there over the years would like to turn this old barracks into a Bed and Breakfast/museum. Returning the old Chesty's chow hall inside along with game room, meeting rooms, the library, the basketball court and weight room in the basement, the admin side utilize as a recruiting office for active duty Marines, MCROTC etc. On the Guard side, returning the old TV room to watch old military movies etc. The pistol range in the basement along with armory. Damn shame the way the place looks but hopefully with a few good investors we can get it back and return it back to it's original glory.

Semper Fi!

Mike W. Marine Barracks Mare Island 06/84-12/85

Mike,

If you add one aspect to your goal it may help it succeed. Since the VA is in a lot of turmoil and trouble about what's going on down in LA, if you incorporate a section for housing homeless vets you maybe able to get some added support.

When you think of all the buildings that are just left to rot and all the vets without a roof over them, it's enough to make you sick and want to bash some gov official over the head!

• 1 month later...
Is anyone looking into the possibility of getting it declared as a Historic Landmark?

The Marine Barracks is in fact a historical landmark. Not exactly sure at what level but whom ever owns it can do what they like with the interior but nothing to the exterior. There are as I've mentioned allot of Marines who were stationed there who would like to get it back and restore it and looking for investors etc.

Semper Fi!

Mike, Marine Barracks Vallejo/Mare Island 6/84-12/85

Mike,

If you add one aspect to your goal it may help it succeed. Since the VA is in a lot of turmoil and trouble about what's going on down in LA, if you incorporate a section for housing homeless vets you maybe able to get some added support.

When you think of all the buildings that are just left to rot and all the vets without a roof over them, it's enough to make you sick and want to bash some gov official over the head!

This is interesting and something to consider for sure. Thank you

Mike, Marine Barracks Vallejo/Mare Island 6/84-12/85

Welcome to the forum, Mike. The former Mare Island Marine Barracks still has a million dollar view--do hope that you're successful. Last week took Skaggs Island road off Hwy. 37. Gated less than a mile in. Nowadays, jerks using road as dump--shame the gate isn't right at Hwy. 37. Semper Fidelis, Jim

Thank you Sir! Yes it does have quite a view and quieta site to look at. It is in real bad shape and we hope to do something with it fast. Skaggs is real bad also.

Semper Fi!

Mike

Mike-

Welcome to the forum!

Is that the bulldog who died from being strangled by his collar when he jumped over his house? My father in law was base commander while you were there and my wife (as a little girl) still talks about the poor dog... :pinch:

We were actually just at Mare Island on Sunday. I've been wanting to go up and take a look at the Marine Barracks, but haven't yet. Not sure if you've seen the Marine senior officer houses that have been "in process" of being moved for a while now. Two of the Marine officer houses were for sale, but as of Sunday the sale signs were gone and they still look empty. Not sure what the situation is on those.

My in-laws have actually discussed buying their old house (Qtrs D) from the city, but at this time they won't sell them. Since the city is bankrupt though...who knows what will happen with everything.

Keep me posted on your quest...I'd like to help out if I can since Mare Island means a lot to my family.

Dave

Mike-

Welcome to the forum!

Dave

Yes that is and at the time PFC Chesty who hung himself. The dog had his own SRB (Service Record Book) and was promoted and demoted I don't know how many times while I was there. A L/Cpl Peters was in charge of him and had to clean up after him daily. He would do his business up and down the main hallway from Admin to the Guard offices. Funny looking back on it. I believe I stood tall before your father-in-law when I won the base Superstars Competition in 85.

Mike

post-50877-1326129279.jpg