ROBESON CUTLERY USMC Knife

Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

I recently got to handle this piece. Although it has issues such as wrong scabbard and sharpening which lightly scratched the blade it's essentially unused. A nice enough example to show of why collectors go ape over these. It's the handsomest and highest quality of all the WW2 USMC 1219c2 fighting knives. According to Alec Tulkof's "Grunt Gear", only 10,000 of these were made.

post-4-1188045166.jpg

Greg Robinson
Greg,

What a beauty! thumbsup.gif

Yeah....I liked it also but it was more money than I could put into one of those, especially one with "issues". Holding that knife was one of those times I wish I had unlimited money to spend.

Greg

Hey guys,

I've just registered on this impressive forum and I'm coming with lots of questions!

Actually I try to collect information about Ka-Bars, since I don't know how to distinguish a WWII-era made Ka-Bar from a post-war one. I only know the different manufacturers : Ka-Bar, Pal, Camillus, Robeson.

Looking forward to hearing from you alll,

Fox

PS: please have a look on my introduction where people are supposed to do so.

Hey guys,

I've just registered on this impressive forum and I'm coming with lots of questions!

Actually I try to collect information about Ka-Bars, since I don't know how to distinguish a WWII-era made Ka-Bar from a post-war one. I only know the different manufacturers : Ka-Bar, Pal, Camillus, Robeson.

Fox

If you want a good education on WWII fighting knives, then just start working your say through the posts in the EDGED WEAPONS section: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showforum=8 - there's a wealth of info there and I have learned by asking questions of Greg and some others guys with similar experience.

Greg Robinson
Hey guys,

Fox

Hey Fox

Welcome aboard!!

After the end of WW2 no more "k-bars" were made until 1960. And those are easily to spot by their markings. Instead of maker name and branch of service markings the post ww2 knives are marked "US" / and maker name.

Greg

I try to collect information about Ka-Bars...

Fox,

You've come to the right place. Greg Robinson has forgotten more about Mark 2 knives than most of us will ever know!

Welcome aboard. thumbsup.gif

After the end of WW2 no more "k-bars" were made until 1960. And those are easily to spot by their markings. Instead of maker name and branch of service markings the post ww2 knives are marked "US" / and maker name.

Thus, the only difference is about the markings? So, for example: if a blade has 'Ka-Bar' or 'Camillus' (maker name) at one side and 'USMC' or 'USN' (branch of service) at the other, it means it was made before 1960?

What about the finition of the blade itself? Should it be shiny, 'blue', 'black'...?

I also thought there could have been some differences about the handle, the pommel -- type of metal used, type of nail, etc.

Thanks a lot, I feel at home right here!

Regards,

Fox

very nice greg..how much was he asking if you dont mind me asking..

welcome fox...you are in the right place for all your questions ..i will be in normandy 06/09/07..staying at La Madeleine, Ste Marie du Mont just down from utah beach..did you know there is a militaria fair on saturday 08/08/07 in normandy..all the best bigjoe ( usmc collector )

Thus, the only difference is about the markings? So, for example: if a blade has 'Ka-Bar' or 'Camillus' (maker name) at one side and 'USMC' or 'USN' (branch of service) at the other, it means it was made before 1960?

What about the finition of the blade itself? Should it be shiny, 'blue', 'black'...?

I also thought there could have been some differences about the handle, the pommel -- type of metal used, type of nail, etc.

Thanks a lot, I feel at home right here!

Regards,

Fox

The basic differences between new and old can be pretty easy to figure out, but the details of the pommel, etc help determine when it was made in WWII. The best thing to do is to just start with the oldest posts in the EDGED WEAPONS section and start looking through those one at a time. Blade condition is an area of study all itself, but as someone who owns a few WWII kabars, I find they are all cool to own.

I've been looking around for an hour and a half on the forum and found very interesting information about what I'm looking for.

Now, I'd like to know how much I should pay for an original Mk 2 combat knife with USMC (or USN) markings, made by :

-Ka-Bar?

-PAL?

-Camillus?

-Robeson?

Concerning the sheath, is a leather one better than a plastic one?

Thanks for your help,

Fox

Fox,

If this was my first Mark 2, I would buy a WWII USMC issue Mark 2, specifically a Ka-bar. They are the ones that made these knives famous. Greg has one for sale on this forum for a fair price. Like he says on the post, if it's not a nice one, it would not be in his collection. It has the correct leather sheath, which is more desirable for a USMC Mark 2. The plastic scabbards go better with a USN Mark 2. Here is a link to it:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...amp;#entry56640

Now, I don't know if Greg ships to France--you would have to ask him. After this knife, I would buy the book "Military Knives: A Reference Book" published by Knife World. After reading through it, I would then decide which one I would get next if I wanted another one.

These are my 2¢ worth. Hope it helps.

Greg Robinson

The topic of all the US issue "k-bars" is just too broad to discuss on a single forum posting. There have been some good suggestions made such as reviewing the forum archives and buying books. The one edited by Frank Trzaska which is a new edition of the M H Cole books is a good one. I'm fortunate to own the original M H Cole books and they've been a fantastic reference since they contain line drawings of all the known varations showing markings.

As for scabbards, you want to stick with leather ones for USMC knives since the Marine Corps never adopted the plastic Navy Mk 2 scabbard.

Greg