Admiral Thomas H. Moorer Chief of Naval Operations Book Ends

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior
post-1412-1188006500.jpgThis is the first time I have tried to send a photo and I hope it works. If the photo is to big I apologize I am learning on the go. I recently went to an estate auction in Maryland that included many items from Admiral Thomas Moore. He was Chief of Naval Operations from 1967 to 1970 when and Nixon appointed him Chief of Staff, he retired in 1974. There were many pieces of sterling silver at the auction such as cigar boxes given to him by some admiral in the Argentine navy. Because I know nothing about silver I did not bid on any of those items but I did buy these book ends. They have the year he graduated from Annapolis on them, 1933, and on the flat part is cast in the bronze Admiral Thomas H. Moorer Chief of Naval Operations. I went there looking for a one of a kind item and this is what I came away with . I paid $80.00 for them but I figured what a set of book ends to put my units histories and other military books between. John

post-1412-1188006500.jpgThis is the first time I have tried to send a photo and I hope it works. If the photo is to big I apologize I am learning on the go. I recently went to an estate auction in Maryland that included many items from Admiral Thomas Moore. He was Chief of Naval Operations from 1967 to 1970 when and Nixon appointed him Chief of Staff, he retired in 1974. There were many pieces of sterling silver at the auction such as cigar boxes given to him by some admiral in the Argentine navy. Because I know nothing about silver I did not bid on any of those items but I did buy these book ends. They have the year he graduated from Annapolis on them, 1933, and on the flat part is cast in the bronze Admiral Thomas H. Moorer Chief of Naval Operations. I went there looking for a one of a kind item and this is what I came away with . I paid $80.00 for them but I figured what a set of book ends to put my units histories and other military books between. John

Those are great friend. Admiral Moore was the CNO when I was in. I remember standing inspection for him once. Not me personally but the whole command. He was a southern man and very likeable. Pulled no punches in talking to you. He was the kind of guy that you would follow into hell and back. I think he was a mustanger if I remember right. But at my age I don't remember right a lot of times. Anyway I really enjoy you posting them brings back fond memories.

Steve

Manchu Warrior

I am happy you enjoyed seeing them I just wish I would have purchased more of Adm. Moorer's items. John