WW2 LINER RESTORED

BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH

I got this liner with my latest helmet, as you can see the inside of the liner is junk. so i statrted to restore it. i'm almost done any comments fell free. since i pretty new to helmet collecting community i was wondering since i restored this is it worth anything? i mean i see what ww2 liners are going for this is only good for display purposes or reinactors. i see what some of the other company are selling retored ones for and i for one think there priced to high.post-11207-1290003669.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

not difficult at all, you need to buy the tool to do it. i got mine from j. murray inc 1944. it costs about 20.00. thanks you for the compliment. bill

• 2 weeks later...
pvt.pursifull

Good work Bill, however you put the main webbing part in the wrong way. The three straps that tie together at the top go between the liner and the webbing that the sweatband attaches to, Not the webbing that the sweatband attaches to and the A washer. But a sweatband will hide that a bit.

Also for you others that are interested in restoring a liner check this out:

http://90thidpg.us/Equipment/Projects/M1He...iner/index.html

Rob

Good thorough article, makes me want to reweb a liner now.

I've done about 25-30 helmet liners total sofar and the process has been slowly improved. I'm personally most satisfied with using Klean-Strip Paint Stripper, At the Front webbing kits, Kilz Aerosol interior white high solids primer, and Rapco paint.

Really strongly reccomend the use of a high solids primer such as kilz, after stripping the liners down to the bare shell. It really saves quite a bit on application of the final color. Lightly sand the bumps or blems - AFTER priming, with 220 grit paper. Usually 2 to 3 coats of final color over the primer gives me the appearance I desire.

Chris-

BILL THE PATCH

what do you think of j. muray inc for helmets accesories. web kits liner kits etc etc? i get my stuuf from him i have no complaints but like to have a back up company. thanks bill

what do you think of j. muray inc for helmets accesories. web kits liner kits etc etc? i get my stuuf from him i have no complaints but like to have a back up company. thanks bill

The last J Murray Kit I was supplied with was last fall, so things may have changed between then and now. At the time, I was happier with the weave, color and hand of the ATF webbing. This was simply a matter of the tape itself - rather than any percieved differences in construction or accessories.

I've stuck with ATF since then. They have changed webbing tape a couple of times over the past year, with some being a bit better htan others as far as weave and hand. All have been within the acceptable color shade range.

Not saying the Murray kits are bad or sub par in any way - as theyre a good product, I just prefer the ATF ones.