WW1 photos/postcard/manuals

JKrebs21

Here is a grouping of photos and objects passed down through my family. I am not sure who the field manual belonged to, but everything else is from a Great Great Uncle that served, William Kirby Smith.

If you cant read it, the inside of the field manual reads "If this book gets off its tracks, Kick its rump and send it back To Uncle Sam"

The soldier photo is my uncle, with his new testament issued by the Bromley Christian Church in Bromley Kentucky, as well as on of two of the USS Zeppelin postcards that I have. Both of his enlistment papers are complete, however the scanner cut off the bottom inch or so.

post-1516-1187906572.jpg

post-1516-1187906579.jpg

post-1516-1187906588.jpg

one more set of photos, The second photo down has my uncle again, back row, second from right. The others are of a neighbor I believe. Here is the story I have on the buttons. Another Great Uncle was in the service and in Europe after the war was over. According to my Great Aunt he had offered a German a cigarrette in a cemetery and in turn the German gave him the lead buttons off of his coat. Dont know if it is true, I dont even know if the germans used lead buttons at any point but that is the story that came with them.

Enjoy.

post-1516-1187907232.jpg

Couple of quick questions.

The field manual is marked for the 100th ambulance train attached to the 33rd div. but i cannot find any info to that effect. All i can find is the 108th ambulance train being attached.

Also can anyone decipher the unit last assigned on my uncles discharge papers? Thanks in Advance!

101st Company, 21st Grand Division, Transportation Corps. The Grand Divisions were part of the AEF's railway system. The 21st was organized and demobilized overseas. I think the name comes from the way civilian railroads were organized.

A little more information on the units-- The 101st Company, Transportation Corps was overseas from Dec 1918-Feb 1919. It had been organized from Company L, 35th Regiment, Transportation Corps. The 35th Regiment, Transportation Corps was overseas from Sep 1918- Dec 1918 and had been organized from the 35th Engineer Regiment, a railway and shop regiment and part of the AEF Services of Supply. The 35th Engineers was organized in Oct 1917 at Camp Grant IL and was overseas from Jan 1918 until it was converted to the 35th Regiment, Transportation Corps in Sep 1918.

Regarding the lead "buttons," I have dug many of these using a metal detector. Most are round, but are of the same construction and design. I have been told these are petticoat weights. They were sewn onto the garment to help keep the shape and prevent it from bellowing or lifting in the wind.