Fathers report of seperation

painter777

Hello,

I am trying to research My fathers history in WWII. He is in the late stages of Alzheimers so my brother and I are trying to get power of attorney to handle his personal affairs. I am in the process of filing the forms to get his military records from the Goverments NARA site with the form 180. I have heard that many records were damaged due to a fire in 1973, mostly water damage. I've also been told they have a way of recovery of some these records but don't until their requested. In the mean time I know the meaning of a few of the things listed on this seperation paper but not all. I understand that he was in the 1387th ENG EBO CO. I've tried all types of searches but can't find any record of the 1387th. I also don't know the meaning of EBO CO. I'm hoping to one day know what REG/Div he was with. If you can help with ANYTHING on this document your help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Charlie-painter777

scan.jpg

scan0001.jpg

Hello Sofie,

Might I ask ..What is a Provisional Unit? Also do you think I posted this in the right forum?

Kind regards

Charlie-painter777

The Joint Forces Command Glossary defines EBO as “effects-based operations” which is a process for obtaining a desired strategic outcome or ‘effect’ on the enemy, through the synergistic, multiplicative, and cumulative application of the full range of military and nonmilitary capabilities at the tactical, operational, and strategic levels” (http:// www.jfcom.mil/about/glossary.htm). I hope this helps a little. Best.

Charles

None of the sources I have break down engineer units as far as the company level, but Engineer units at that number level contain several "Engineer Base Depot Groups", so the "EBO" abbreviation is probably a subset of that, paerhaps "Engineer Base Operations Company".

A Thank You to All that are trying to help, it's greatly appreciated.

My father never spoke much about the war. We just got tid bits of information over the years. He did say once that he worked with Plilippino Scouts, helping train them with new weapons and tactics. Even though he was in the Philippines late/post war the Japs that had not given up were causing problems. Any info you can pass on to me from his Seperation papers will be helpful. I posted a pic of his ID card hoping someone might recognize the insignia on it. It is also posted in this forum.

Again...Thank You

Charlie-painter777

A Thank You to All that are trying to help, it's greatly appreciated.

My father never spoke much about the war. We just got tid bits of information over the years. He did say once that he worked with Plilippino Scouts, helping train them with new weapons and tactics. Even though he was in the Philippines late/post war the Japs that had not given up were causing problems. Any info you can pass on to me from his Seperation papers will be helpful. I posted a pic of his ID card hoping someone might recognize the insignia on it. It is also posted in this forum.

Again...Thank You

Charlie-painter777

Charlie,

Did your father ever file for VA benefits? For example a VA home loan, medical treatment, education benefits, etc.? If so, you can contact your VA regional office (not the local hospital) and request his discharge info through them. Also check with the county recorder's office where he lived after the war. He may have provided them with a copy of his discharge to receive a bonus.

If you need help with any of this, feel free to send me a PM.

Charlie,

Did your father ever file for VA benefits? For example a VA home loan, medical treatment, education benefits, etc.? If so, you can contact your VA regional office (not the local hospital) and request his discharge info through them. Also check with the county recorder's office where he lived after the war. He may have provided them with a copy of his discharge to receive a bonus.

If you need help with any of this, feel free to send me a PM.

Beast,

He is in Nashville Tenn. I know he is getting his medical needs taken care of at the VA hospital there. I will be leaving this weekend to meet up with my brother to tend to my fathers medical and personnel affairs. I have planned a visit to a VA counselor for help. I'll try asking while there about any info I can collect. I just printed off the SF 180 form to have him sign, so I can submit it to try to recover his Military Records. I just hope that I can get some bits of info from him on what REG/DIV he was assigned to.

I truely appreciate everyones help.

Thank You

Charlie-painter777

I personally suspect the unit designation abbreviated here is for the 1387th Engineer Boat Company. That would jive with his branch of service being Engineers too, as noted in the top right portion of the discharge papers.

Mike

Also, my WW2 Order of Battle book lists, in the Engineer section, at least one Engineer Boat Regiment, so I would guess that since there was in fact such a thing as an Engineer Boat Regiment, and there was, that a Regiment like that had Engineer Boat Companys too. In addition, there are a number of Engineer Boat and Shore Regiments listed, as well as Heavy Pontoon units too. Many of them I see listed with Boat as at least part of their Engineer unit designation had Pacific Theater service too.

Also worth noting is the large number of Engineer Groups and Provisional units, which I suspect were a hodge podge of all sorts of assorted specialty companies probably, jumbled together and created for specific tasks or operations.

The problem you may really have even if you start searching the 'net for Engineer Boat units is to figure out which larger unit his company was subordinate to, as it is also possible that it was a unique enough small unit that it was temporarily assigned all over creation geograhpically speaking, and to a variety of "parent" units but only for a short period of time.

Good luck!

Mike

MilitaryResearchAssociates

I checked the Engineer records at the National Archives today.

There was a 1387th Engineer Base Depot Co.

The archives has their History (Apr-May, Jul-Dec 45 to Feb 46 and June-Dec 46-Feb, Apr 47).

They also have a chronological history 1 Sept. 44 to 28 Feb 46 and an Historical Summary 1-30 June 1945.

They have the daily historical journal from 25 Apr to 31 July 1945 and the Statistical Data of Operations from 1 Aug - 26 Sept. 45.

Hope this helps.

Tim Frank

www.militaryresearchassociates.com