Show your WWII Soldiers Photographs

Ricardo

This is my Uncle, Dennis Glover from Wheeler MS. He was an engineer in Europe, and kept just about everything he could from the war. He started me with the WWII collecting sickness, and I hope I'm never cured. People that worked with him after the war said he could weld wood together. The Gold mothers pin in the photo has nothing to do with him, it was just a place to put it during a display.

000_0025.jpg

This is my Uncle, Randell Tarpley from Saltillo,MS. He was in the 70th Div., was at the Battle of the Bulge and went thru Dachau camp. Received the Bronze Star, was really fond of a 30 cal.machine gun.

post-22-0-54479500-1400624098.jpg

post-22-0-64314800-1400624100.jpg

This is my Uncle, Dennis Glover from Wheeler MS. He was an engineer in Europe, and kept just about everything he could from the war.

I like that stubby wing 8th AAF patch in the picture. It's great that he got you started in collecting!

Adam

I like that stubby wing 8th AAF patch in the picture. It's great that he got you started in collecting!

Adam

My Aunt still has this jacket and visor, she still isn't ready to part with them.

This is my Uncle, Randell Tarpley from Saltillo,MS. He was in the 70th Div., was at the Battle of the Bulge and went thru Dachau camp. Received the Bronze Star, was really fond of a 30 cal.machine gun.

Your Uncle did not participate in the Battle of the Bulge, but in Operation Nordwind which was launched right after the Battle of The Bulge (=the front between Luxembourg City and Aachen roughly set).

your Uncle and his Division were south of this (Saarbrucken area).

Task Force Herren took over defensive positions along the west bank of the Rhine, 28 December 1944, in the vicinity of Bischweiler, south of Haguenau Forest. Elements took part in the fight to stop the German winter offensive, and struck at the enemy at Phillipsbourg and at Wingen. In mid-January 1945, the Task Force moved to an area directly south of Saarbrucken, where it carried out reconnaissance and combat patrols, and improved defensive positions. Upon the arrival of the remainder of the Division, Task Force Herren was dissolved.

Nordwind Operation

70th Division pictures

70th Division

My father enlisted in the US Navy in November 1939. He received "Boot" training at Newport News, Rhode Island and was briefly assigned to the USS Texas (BB-35). The following 3 images are from my father's log album that he kept from shortly after he reported aboard the USS Chicago (CA-29) in 1940.

A typical "Here I am in Hawaii" image with tropical props and a ukelele. Note that he marked the print "T.H." Territory of Hawaii.

post-85-1167948929.jpg

He served on Chicago through three battles and other operations in the South-West Pacific. He was on board when Chicago was sunk by aerial delivered torpedoes in February 1943. He was eventually put into the replacement pool on Noumea, New Caladonia but was retained there because he was a carpenter's mate and there was considerable base building construction. Part of his time he served on Shore Patrol duties and had this locally photographed image taken. Fortunately "seeing the hand writing on the wall" he sent the log album home while the battle damage from the Battle of Savo Island Chicago was being repaired.

post-85-1167948960.jpg

While in Noumea a transport arrived and put a dog ashore that the crew had picked up off a formerly Japanese held island. My father took care of the dog and called him "Brown Dog." When he rotated stateside he managed to get the dog to San Francisco. From there he shipped Brown Dog home to Maine. My grandfather worked for the railroad in Maine, and the dog was very well taken care of by the train crews. The story of where the dog came from was known to the train crews and the name "Tojo" was chalked onto the crate. By the time my father got home where the next image was taken everyone in town called the dog "Tojo" and that is the name my father inked on the image that also appeared in the local newspaper with a short story of my father and the dog.

post-85-1167950713.jpg

These images are of my uncle in his Navel Aviator Cadet uniforms. He went into the Navy after completing college. He was trained on TBFs but the war ended while he was still in training. He remained in the Navel Reserve, flew F4Us and retired as Captain.

post-85-1167950944.jpg

Your Uncle did not participate in the Battle of the Bulge, but in Operation Nordwind which was launched right after the Battle of The Bulge (=the front between Luxembourg City and Aachen roughly set).

your Uncle and his Division were south of this (Saarbrucken area).

Nordwind Operation

70th Division pictures

70th Division

I stand corrected. He just always refered to it that way, old habits are hard to break.

Championhilz

Here's a picture of my father (on the right) and two of his buddies taken in Oklahoma after the war ended. My father turned 19 on the troopship that was taking him to Europe. He arrived in France in December 1944 and was assigned to Troop B, 18th Cavalry Recon. Squadron.

post-274-1167962201.jpg

Championhilz

I picked this photo up at a flea market in Jackson, Mississippi, for the grand sum of two dollars. The soldier is wearing DI's for the 26th Infantry Regiment, and he wrote on the back of the photo, "This is the way we went into Battle, the way I am dressed in this picture, Harry L."

post-274-1167962560.jpg

This is my Dad, James J. Cannon Jr. He was with the 363rd Engineer Special Services Regiment for his whole time in the service. I'm fairly certain this was taken in Tehran, although on one of the few days it was bearable to wear a wool uniform. He spent nearly three years in the Gulf, and hated every damn minute of it. There wasn't any enemy war souvenirs in the house when I was growing up, but Persian prayer rugs fit nicely into a duffle bag for mailing home!

Jim

post-129-1168024284.jpg

Last one... this came with the grouping, but the seller wasn't sure if it was really part of it or not.

Note the M17A1 on the ground.

post-101-1168030891.jpg

Soldiers and sailors together.

From left to right:

Unknown friend, My uncle Paul, My father (with my oldest sister) My uncle Robert

and the little guy is my father's stepbrother.

Picture nr2 two is my father (T3) somewhere in France

post-87-1168054973.jpg

post-87-1168055159.jpg

Charlie Flick
Next, still in England

Hey Adam:

Some great pics there. You may already know this, so if so just ignore the following. I did a little checking on Lt. Col. Wesley Behel. He apparently was the Group Executive Officer for the famous 303rd Bomb Group of the 8th AF stationed at Molesworth in England. They were known as the Hell's Angels.

The 303rd has an excellent website with a good search feature. It brings up several hits on Lt. Col. Behel, including a group pic of him with other officers in front of the station HQ. I suspect it was taken the same date as your Post #44. Note the sign. He is pictured seated in the front row, 9th from the left.

sp-brass.jpg

Also, the same pic of the B-17 crew of "Missmanooki" is on the site identified as the Noel E. Shoup crew. Shoup was KIA in another aircraft.

Thanks for the post.

Charlie Flick

Yes, I've been doing quite a bit of research since I posted those pictures. 7 of the 10 members of Shoup's Crew was KIA, 2 evaded capture until the US invaded, and the last was a POW in stalag 3C and 7A for the rest of the war.

Thanks!

Adam Townsend

Bought this picture on ebay last month! Its a nice original one.
I was lucky because the seller didnt know it was 101st, AB. The item title only said...picture of ww2 gi's, so there wasnt a hype on it. I paid almost nothing for it!

Ive been told:That this picture is made by Al Krocha, photographer of HQ/501st, on D-Day. The Gi's wearing the M41 are glider pilots, and next to them stands a demolist of 326th AEB. All the others are HQ/501st.

Standing: Jack Robins, Paul Biron, Dick Maurer, John Kildare, Earle Sheen.
In the front: Frank Wolf, Foster Beamsley en Bill Canfield.

Picture is also in Vanguard of the Crusade, by M. Bando!
(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

Sebas

One of my WW2 US army pics:

This is Robert E. Gundlock. (HQ Det. 233rd ORD BASE DEPOT). He was enlisted in 1942 (Oct. 26). This picture was taken in November 1944, in Belgium and was sent to his girl Betty as a Christmas Card...

grts
Bart

post-22-0-83094100-1400624225.jpg