Leather preservation

carl1944

Hi all,

I recently purchased a pair of Buckle Boots. And as so often, the leather top with the buckles has begun to crack.

How can I prevent the boots from deteriorating even more?? Any ideas, tips and/or tricks are very welcome at this point.

Thanks

Carl

craig_pickrall

I think the most popular is PECARD'S LEATHER DRESSING. There is one of these made just for antique leather.

craig_pickrall

I found two other threads in this section, that cover leather preservation, and bumped them to the top.

You might also try doing a search on:

Pecards

Leather preservation

That should find additional info.

FWIW, per Sweeting, the Smithsonian uses Picards on their leather goods. They are also big supporters of Lexol.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

I use a product called "Bick 4," made by a company called "Bickmore." They have a cleaner called Bick 1. Despite the unimaginative names, they make good leather potions. I've had leather that is like cardboard, and after liberal applications of the Bick 4, it returns to decent condition. Its not going to be like new, but it is a lot better.

BLACKROCK BLACKROCK BLACKROCK

I'd swear by that stuff.

Superb stuff. I first used it when I collected civil war militaria back in the day. I still have some I use on my WWI and WWII era leather. Check with some civil war dealers. I got mine from the Union Drummer Boy, Gettysburg, PA