Lets see your medical uniforms. Any Branch any era!!

PaulR

This one is the named and 1936-dated Army Medical Corps dress blue uniform of Dr Albert Kenner. Dr Kenner first saw action on the Mexican Border in 1916 where he first met George Patton. Kenner was later assigned to the 1st Division and deployed with it to France in WW-I as part of the AEF. While serving in France he was cited for valor several times by both the US and France. In WW-II Dr Kenner attained the rank of Major General and was Gen Eisenhower's surgeon. When Gen Patton was injured on an auto accident shortly after WW-II, Eisenhower sent Kenner to oversee Patton's care.

post-1107-1288960700.jpg

post-1107-1288960708.jpg

post-1107-1288960831.jpg

Here's a Pharmacist Mate 1cl Navy jumper from WW-I or possibly the early 20s. Unfortunately, someone removed the rating patch but the patch is with it and there is a clearly defined dark shadow on the sleeve that exactly matches the rating patch and much of the original thread is on either the sleeve or the patch. The third picture shows the rating lying on the sleeve over the dark shadow of where it had been sewn on.

post-1107-1288961072.jpg

post-1107-1288961080.jpg

post-1107-1288961087.jpg

Next is a Pharmacist's Mate Apprentice uniform (jumper and bell bottoms). The white striping remains on the jumper cuffs but looks like it was removed from the "bib" as dark shadows of where it had been remain.

post-1107-1288961263.jpg

post-1107-1288961277.jpg

post-1107-1288961309.jpg

Thank you guys for posting these amazing uniform items. The PHS camo is pretty darn rare. We have PHS Doctors and Pharmacists in the CG, who wear the CG uniform, with their insignia replacing that of the CG's.

USMC Recon, I am totally blown away by the Army Surgeons dress blues and the PhM3 Service Jacket. Beyond cool stuff!

Bugme, I really like that Medical Sgt's jacket. Was the Combat Medic's Badge the equivalent to the CIB? Would he have been eligible for the Bronze Star as well?

Thank you guys for posting these amazing uniform items. The PHS camo is pretty darn rare. We have PHS Doctors and Pharmacists in the CG, who wear the CG uniform, with their insignia replacing that of the CG's.

USMC Recon, I am totally blown away by the Army Surgeons dress blues and the PhM3 Service Jacket. Beyond cool stuff!

Bugme, I really like that Medical Sgt's jacket. Was the Combat Medic's Badge the equivalent to the CIB? Would he have been eligible for the Bronze Star as well?

Yes, the CMB was the non-combatant equivalent to the CIB. Wachtel was eligible for two combat stars but, he never added them so, I've left it the way he had it. He did not join the 29th as a replacement until several months after D-Day. He came back to his hometown and set up business with his brother(also a WWII vet) doing appliance repair. Below is a photo of his final place of rest.

Hilary_Wachtal_002.jpg

Next is a Pharmacist's Mate Apprentice uniform (jumper and bell bottoms). The white striping remains on the jumper cuffs but looks like it was removed from the "bib" as dark shadows of where it had been remain.

post-1107-1288961263.jpg

post-1107-1288961277.jpg

post-1107-1288961309.jpg

This is pretty interesting. The loop on the front of the jumper puts it pre 1933. Prior to the 1917 regs, there were only dress blue jumpers (there were whites, but that in not important for this). Older jumpers were to have the "Piping" removed from the collars and the stars cut orr (rounding the collars) and the cuffs cut off to turn them inot "Undress Blue" working jumpers. Many had the piping removed, but a lot never had the colalr stars trimmed off. This one still has the cuffs too, so is could just be that at sometime in it's life, someone just pulled off the colalr piping. It did tend to get pretty grimey and eventually would wear and fray. Pretty cool either way.

Steve Hesson

Here's a few photos of my dad's dress uniform top (sorry they aren't very good - I do have the pants and hat also).

Since it was my father's and being that we lost him 7 years ago, it's the most imporant uniform in my collection by far. He served a year in Vietnam during his 22 year army nurse career.

I miss him very much.

-Derek

101_0023.jpg

101_0022.jpg

That is a great service jacket. Do you know what year your dad joined the Army?

Hi Paul,

Thanks. My dad joined in 1965 when he gradutated nursing school and served with the 22nd M.U.S.T. in Phu Bai from 12/67 - 12/68.

He retired in 1987 as an O-5.

-Derek

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the bad photos but i didn0t find the time to get some new and better wiev of them

m1938 Full Blue dress medic

dscf1001k.th.jpgdscf10y03.th.jpgdscf1007a.th.jpg

2 version of cape : 1 in all wool and one with silk inside

dscf10050.th.jpg

pre war ( early 30s) Special evening dress

b9sfegkkgrhqqokoyeztjnm.th.jpgb9z6wbgkkgrhqyokpgeyjcz.th.jpg

White leather gloves

b9bd4gbwkkgrhquoko4eyjc.th.jpg

Bullion insigna on the sleeves

b9bo6wkkgrhqqokpeyjcytz.th.jpg

i've other 2 medic blue dress (1 mess dress with Veterinary corps sewn on the sleeve in bullion material and a common blue dress m1938 made in wool gabardine ) but i've no photos of them sry i'll try to get some photos soon

dscn2426resize5me.jpg

dscn2425resize0fc.jpg

From his FOIA file:

8 Sep 66: General Medical Officer, Co D, 307th Med Bn, 82nd Abn Div, Fort Bragg NC

14 Feb 68: General Medical Officer (Counterinsurgency), Co D, 307th Med Bn, 82nd Abn Div, USARPAC

8 Jun 68: General Medical Officer, Co D, 307th Med Bn, 82nd Abn Div, Fort Bragg NC

25 Jul 68: discharged

Apparently he spent only four months in Vietnam, enough to get a CMB though. Only Co B of the 307th Med Bn was deployed, so I guess he was TDY to this company while still assigned to Co D in Ft Bragg.

Name: YELLE ARMAND J

Branch: ARMY

Rate: O03

MOS: 3100

MOS Title: General Medical Officer

Entered: 6607

Discharged:

Service Number:

State: UNKNOWN

Race: CAUCASIAN

SFC Benny Wigginton jacket. Name tape was missing but the bulk of the name letters were embossed onto the jacket by the repeated ironings and starching. IGGINT was clearly readable. Steve Sherman helped me to ID the original owner and Jeff recreate the new name tape.

I could not pass on this jacket !

http://www.angelfire.com/ks/bhd8ball/NBDPageAllHTML.htm

post-467-1291647846.jpg

post-467-1291648407.jpg

Vietnam Veterans Database

Name: NALLS THOMAS R

Branch: ARMY

Rate: E07

MOS: 91B

MOS Title: Medical NCO

Entered: 5610

Discharged: 780801