Civil War Trunk Id'd to Union Soldier

Collector5516

Collector5516

I purchased this trunk approximately 12-15 years ago when I just started collecting military items. The construction/nails certainly look Civil War period to me. I will take additional photos in the next few days and add them to this thread.

I'd like to make sure it is 100% Civil War period authentic and am also hoping you guys can help me and/or point me in the right direction so I can find out more information regarding this soldier. Thanks!

post-9906-0-55604400-1401850558.jpg

Collector5516

Brad,

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into it but that very well could be him. I'll measure the trunk soon but I'd say its about 30" long x 15" wide.

I would have thought an officer's trunk would not have been so plain. How big is it?

My ancestor had the same experience during the Civil War... went in as an enlisted man, spent most of the war as a Sergeant and then was promoted to a Lieutenant as the war was winding down and then mustered out.

Given that, I think it would be quite plausible that a field promoted officer probably continued to use much of his existing kit. If he was authorized additional baggage with his promotion, he may simply of had a second trunk.

If I recall correctly I saw one of Gen Custers trunks at the Small museum at the Little Big Horn Battlefield.Similiar in construction and not highly decorated.

RD

Collector5516

Thanks for the additional input. If its good enough for General Custer its good enough for me :D

What do you guys think a trunk like this is worth assuming nothing extra special turns up(like he fought at Gettysburg etc)?

Just before the Civil War trunks were covered with leather and had iron straps running around them, but leather and iron were strategic materials in wartime so they stopped making them that way. Civilian trunks were actually then covered with printed paper lithograph that looked like the old leather with iron bands.

Ads for value: I found a couple of named Civil War trunks that sold at Cowan's Auctions in 2005 for around $300, but I see dealers currently asking over $1,000 for some named CW trunks. If this solder and/his unit had some special distinctions (fighting at one of the major battles) then that might add to value, but with the state of the economy (i.e. continuing consumer nervousness) I would not expect values to be much higher than they were five years ago. Here's info on where they did fight http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/c...92ndInfMain.htm

Collector5516

I went to my father's house yesterday where I have the trunk and took some photos as well as measurements. It measures 18" wide, 30" long and 18" high. I will add pics later this evening.

Collector5516
I went to my father's house yesterday where I have the trunk and took some photos as well as measurements. It measures 18" wide, 30" long and 18" high. I will add pics later this evening.

post-9906-0-59890800-1401850946.jpg

post-9906-0-71449700-1401850707.jpg