WWII Marine & Army generals portraits

Bob Hudson

At an estate sale last week I picked up more than 30 WWII issues of Time Magazine featuring American, Allied and Axis generals. The style of cover illustration used then produced some dynamic portraits.

These first two are Marine Corps generals Holland Smith and Archer Vandegrift.

smith1.jpg

smith2.jpg

vandegrift1.jpg

vandegrift2.jpg

At an estate sale last week I picked up more than 30 WWII issues of Time Magazine featuring American, Allied and Axis generals. The style of cover illustration used then produced some dynamic portraits.

These first two are Marine Corps generals Holland Smith and Archer Vandegrift.

post-214-1288155615.jpg

post-214-1288155621.jpg

post-214-1288155641.jpg

post-214-1288155647.jpg

Way Cool! My Dad was USMC in WWII and his unit..Amphibious Recon worked DIRECTLY for LT Gen HM Smith! Dad saw Smith in person a number of times. As a Harcharging Marine PFC in 1966 I had the rare privilege to speak with the General myownself!

WB

Way Cool! My Dad was USMC in WWII and his unit..Amphibious Recon worked DIRECTLY for LT Gen HM Smith! Dad saw Smith in person a number of times. As a Harcharging Marine PFC in 1966 I had the rare privilege to speak with the General myownself!

WB

Well heck, you need that magazine to frame and hang on the wall of you war room :)

I just got done scanning the covers of the Army generals and will post those tonight (these are the full issues, not just the covers, and just glancing at the articles - and ads - makes me want to read them all).

To save server space I'll just show the closeup of the portrait and not the whole cover. These are presented in roughly chronological order:

Here's Ike in 1942:

ike2.jpg

General George C. Marshall

marshall2.jpg

General Omar Bradley

bradley2.jpg

General Jonathan Wainwright

wainwright2.jpg

General Joseph Stilwell

stillwell2.jpg

Bradley - again

bradleyb2.jpg

General Hoyt S. Vandenberg

vandenberg2.jpg

General Matthew B Ridgway

ridgeway2.jpg

I have to say that it would be fantastic to own an original of any one of these illustrations: there's just so much character in these images.

Time did not just feature US Generals (and Admirals) on their WWII covers: they also put the top Army and Navy women on covers, plus numerous Allied military figures from other countries, as well as German, Japanese and Italian Axis military leaders.