Ens. George Gay's Dogtag

KASTAUFFER

I recently acquired Ens. George Gay's dogtag from his Grandson and thought you all might like to see it.

For those of you who may not know who he was, Ens. Gay was the sole survivor of the USS Hornet detatchment of Torpedo Squadron 8 during the Battle of Midway. He was a true American hero.

There were 2 survivors of the VT-8 detatchment that flew from Midway Island that day. I posted a group to one of the pilots here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=57155

Kurt

GHG_Dog_Tag_front_1_.jpg

Man that's something. I read the name and knew I recognized it. Wonderful piece of history. A local man wasn't so lucky at Midway. He was one of the members of VB3 that crippled the Hiryu and was bounced by a pack of Zeroes afterwards.

Wow. That is priceless. I used to watch Midway religiously when I was younger. Come to think of it, I still do. That would definitely be something to own. Congrats on the pick-up.

Wow, what a piece of history! I was very shocked to find his grandson at the local flea market a few months back, and since meeting him, I felt compelled to read more about this squadron and Ens. Gay. Truly an incredible piece of history for your collection! Congrats,

G

What a "gem". I know it has to be one of your most treasured items, out of your many historical pieces.

Congrats. :twothumbup:

Carey

After Gay was picked up by the US sub, he was transferred to the USS Vincennes (CA-44) where he spent several days. I believe he left the ship when they arrived back at Pearl after the Midway battle.

Kurt,

This dog tag to Gay is just crazy!! The more I think about it, the more amazed I am. You can tell by some of the reactions who knows the story and who doesn't. You are going to have to buy one of those small glass domes to display it under next to a copy of his book.

I know we collect these KIA PH's and such, but in most cases the vet never even touches them. Here you have George Gay's dog tag. Could it be the one he wore while in the water??

Damn, what a great piece. Again, congrats on a real piece of WWII history. :thumbsup:

Kurt,

I know we collect these KIA PH's and such, but in most cases the vet never even touches them. Here you have George Gay's dog tag. Could it be the one he wore while in the water??

Well, considering the tetanus shot date is after his ordeal, I don't think so...

-Ski

Well, considering the tetanus shot date is after his ordeal, I don't think so...

Didn't even notice. :pinch:

It would still be under a dome in a place of honor if it were mine.

That Dog-Tag has a lot of history behind it.My Dad flew with VT-8 after the battle of Midway was a replacement and was a ball turret gunner on the avenger.He lives in Montana right now.He came down to Calif were I live took him to the USS Hornet Museum they had a Avenger that was getting fixed up they had the turret out and on the deck my Dad looked at it and said dam I can't fit in that.Some time's I wonder why family sells stuff about there family history if my dad gave me any thing it would be past down to the next generation Ens George Gay is real history that most people have read or seen movies about the Battle of Midway.

That Dog-Tag has a lot of history behind it.My Dad flew with VT-8 after the battle of Midway was a replacement and was a ball turret gunner on the avenger.He lives in Montana right now.He came down to Calif were I live took him to the USS Hornet Museum they had a Avenger that was getting fixed up they had the turret out and on the deck my Dad looked at it and said dam I can't fit in that.Some time's I wonder why family sells stuff about there family history if my dad gave me any thing it would be past down to the next generation Ens George Gay is real history that most people have read or seen movies about the Battle of Midway.

In this case Eric ( his grandson ) and I have spoken quite a bit and the family is keeping for themselves and has also donated quite a bit of George's stuff to Museums. He knows of my interest in VT-8 and he decided sending the tag my way was a good place for it.

If you get a chance to post some of your Dad's items we would love to see it here! I have a Flight Logbook to a gunner who also flew with VT-8 at Guadalcanal. VT-8 did some amazing flying there. As much as a lot of the guys in the squadron despised Swede Larsen, the man got results. He also made some questionable decisions too.

Kurt

In this case Eric ( his grandson ) and I have spoken quite a bit and the family is keeping for themselves and has also donated quite a bit of George's stuff to Museums. He knows of my interest in VT-8 and he decided sending the tag my way was a good place for it.

If you get a chance to post some of your Dad's items we would love to see it here! I have a Flight Logbook to a gunner who also flew with VT-8 at Guadalcanal. VT-8 did some amazing flying there. As much as a lot of the guys in the squadron despised Swede Larsen, the man got results. He also made some questionable decisions too.

Kurt

My Dad gave me some of my Granddads stuff like the cruise book from the USS New Mexico when they went over the line in the 1920's even got three of his subpoena's that they give for going over the equator from the USS New Mexico,USS West Virginia,USS Saratoga and some photo's but I got a book by Dad gave me that some one wrote about a Squadron my Dad was with in Alaska were he was a crew member in PBY's before he transferred to the Pacific later in the War.It had a photo of my Dad in the book.He is still around and I am glad of that but he has not given me any thing yet of his from his time in the service but a lot of stories he is one of those vet's if you ask he will talk your ear off about his time in the Navy.

Nice, I met George and Pappy Boyington at an air show in California in the early 80's. Have his autograph around here some where. Man that should be loaned as a historical artifact to one of the big museums in DC like the Navy Museum at the Washington Navy Yard or Pensacola. :think:

A friend of mine and I had a bet as to which would be posted first…

A. The “no way it can be real because it is WAY too cool and I am jealous” post or

B. The ever popular “that belongs in a museum” comment.

Thanks for the post swmdo I just won a case of beer. :)

Kurt, Congrats and that phenomenal piece of history is in the perfect home and will be cherished more than if it were in ANY museum’s collection. Heck, you should wear it at least once!