25 replies to this topic

#1 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:58 PM

here's a group of bars I can't find in my chart. maybe you guys can help.

Top is all dark blue with a silver star device. 2nd bar, I'm guessing VFW? it'smounted on plastic. Never seen that type before. 3rd I believe is WWI Army of Occupation ribbon? First one in the third row, I'm guessing Air Force? Can't find it on my chart. Next is very weird, a non-US type pin, rear marked Paris with a device saying 'Maroc'. Foreign decoration for the US?? Last bar, 3 place, what's the red one with green stripes? it's wider than the National Defense and Reserve. thanks

Attached Images

• Ribbons_Front.JPG

#2 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:59 PM

rears

Attached Images

• Ribbons_Rear.JPG

#3 Laury Allison

Laury Allison
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,365
  • 701 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:18 PM

I believe the red one with green stripes is the Belgium Croix de Guerre for WWII.

I am thinking the blue one with the star is the Texas NG Lone Star Medal of Valor.

Laury

#4 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:47 PM

thanks. is there a list of the units authorized the Beligan award? and the Texas NG has its own valor medals?

#5 Bluejacket

Bluejacket
  • Members
    • Member ID: 193
  • 460 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:25 PM

Brig,

The third row ribbons are ;

(l.) PA National Guard General Stewart Medal
(r.) France - Medal for Operations in North Africa
w/ bar for Morocco, "MAROC" in French.
The medal was created in 1958 and issued for service between 1952 and 1962.

Regarding the Texas NG award, I think all State guard organizations have various valor and distinguished service medals. Texas has the Legislative Medal of Honor, the Lone Star Medal of Valor and a Distinguished Service Medal as their top three awards.

Bluejacket

#6 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:31 PM

thanks for the info. French ribbon bar. Very interesting.

#7 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

what I found out about the blue ribbon with the star. 2nd highest state award:

Texas Govt Code Sec. 431.132.
Lone Star Medal of Valor.

The Lone Star Medal of Valor shall be awarded to a member of the military forces of this state, another state, or the United States who performs specific acts of bravery or outstanding courage, or who performs within an exceptionally short period a closely related series of heroic acts, if the acts involve personal hazard or danger and the voluntary risk of life and result in an accomplishment so exceptional and outstanding as to clearly set the person apart from the person's comrades or from other persons in similar circumstances. Awarding of the medal requires a lesser degree of gallantry than awarding of the Texas Legislative Medal of Honor, but requires that the acts be performed with marked distinction.

Edited by Brig, 19 August 2007 - 04:37 PM.

#8 JBFloyd

JBFloyd
  • Members
    • Member ID: 293
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:52 PM

The Texas Medal of Valor uses a large white enameled star device, as I recall. More likely that this is the Pennsylvania Thomas Stewart Medal, first type.

#9 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:54 PM

I thought the ribbon in the third row was the Stewart medal?

#10 jim2

jim2
  • Members
    • Member ID: 100
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:09 PM

Here is an auction for a Gen Stewart medal

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

#11 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:23 PM

link doesn't seem to work

#12 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,424
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:32 PM

The ribbon on the far right on the bottom row, next to Nat'l. Defense is the Armed Forces Reserve medal -- 20 years in the Reserve with an hourglass device, or when they mobilize you you wear an "M" -- I don't think I've ever seen it issued without a device on it.

#13 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:52 AM

The ribbon on the far right on the bottom row, next to Nat'l. Defense is the Armed Forces Reserve medal -- 20 years in the Reserve with an hourglass device, or when they mobilize you you wear an "M" -- I don't think I've ever seen it issued without a device on it.

thanks, but I already know about that one http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

I've seen plenty issued without the device. reservists basically get a medal for being reserves, is how I hear it. seems kind of dumb. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif

#14 Laury Allison

Laury Allison
  • Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:24 AM

thanks, but I already know about that one http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

I've seen plenty issued without the device. reservists basically get a medal for being reserves, is how I hear it. seems kind of dumb. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif

The Armed Forces Reserve Medal is currently awarded after 10 years for Reserve (or National Guard) service. For 10 years of service, a bronze hourglass device is attached, after 20 years a silver hourglass is attached and a gold hourglass is attached after 30 years service. The medal is also authorized for individuals who have less than 10 year of reserve service who are mobilized for an authorized operation. When an individual is mobilized, the "M" device is worn on the left side of the ribbon. The hourglass device is worn in the center, and Roman numerals are worn on the right side of the ribbon denoting the number of mobilizations begining with the 2nd one.

Prior to 9-11, the AFRM was awarded after 10 years of Reserve (or NG) service and the bronze hourglass was awarded for 20 years, the silver for 30 years, and the gold for 40 years service.

I have the AFRM with an "M" device and a bronze hourglass for 13 years of Army & Air NG service and 1 mobilization (Global War on Terrorism). I was activated twice for GWOT, but since it once the same operation, I don't rate a Roman numeral on my ribbon/medal.

It can get confusing, but when you see older ribbon racks, a basic ribbon will indicate at least 10, but less than 20 years of Reserve/National Guard service.

Hope this helps to clear up the AFRM ribbon.

Laury

#15 Ricardo

Ricardo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 202
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:51 AM

Hi Brig,

The frech medal, but "Argerie" bar:

Posted Image

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Edited by Ricardo, 20 August 2007 - 05:51 AM.

#16 Ricardo

Ricardo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 202
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:54 AM

Tha WW2 Belgium Croix de Guerre medal, but with palm:

Posted Image

#17 Laury Allison

Laury Allison
  • Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:08 AM

I just looked at my ribbons and the "M" is worn in the center and the hourglass is on the left. I doubt you will find very many reservists/guardsmen these days with 10 years of service without at least one deployment after 10 years. Most of them will have 2 or 3 of them. I don't think the AFRM
will be awarded without a device under the current guidelines. Any AFRM (without device) should date prior to 9-11.

Laury

#18 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:48 AM

do active years count towards the reserve years for the hour glass device?

Ricardo, thanks for posting those pics!

#19 Laury Allison

Laury Allison
  • Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:28 AM

do active years count towards the reserve years for the hour glass device?

Ricardo, thanks for posting those pics!

Active duty time while in a Reserve/NG status does count toward the hourglass device. Regular active duty time does not. So if a Guardsman is activated, they are still in the National Guard and that time counts toward credit for the hourglass.

Laury

#20 PATCHRAT

PATCHRAT
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,604
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:46 PM

HERE IS A GREAT WEB SITE FOR AWARDS, NICE RACK BUILDER. AND HAS MOST OF THE NATIOANL GUARD AS WELL. http://armyawards.com/index.html

#21 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:40 PM

the only rack builder I use is the official military reference, as most sources are slightly wrong

#22 PATCHRAT

PATCHRAT
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,604
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:46 PM

this guy is pretty squared away. Army SFC, aside from the rack builder option, it is good for identifying ribbons. state and federal

#23 USMCRECON

USMCRECON
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,107
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:20 AM

I believe the red one with green stripes is the Belgium Croix de Guerre for WWII.

I am thinking the blue one with the star is the Texas NG Lone Star Medal of Valor.

Laury

Hi all. I'm coming into this late...sorry. I've never seen the Texas medal before so have no information on it. I do, however, have a couple "fat" Marine ribbon sets with what appears to be the same ribbon on them - they are pictured below.

One has two very tarnished silver star devices and the other has one brown device that looks like an oak leaf and another hole where a device is missing. Neither set pictured displays all of the ribbons. The upper photo is missing the middle bar (I just can't find it at the moment) which has a Marine Expeditionary ribbon w/star, 2nd Nicaragua Service, and Haiti Service. I don't know what oyther ribbons should be with the bottom set as it came to me by itself. The top two are pinback with the older style open "C" catch. the bottom one is a direct sew-on type.

A friend, whom I considered fairly knowledgeable, told me several years ago that the blue ones were the Nicaraguan Medal of Merit but I have no personal knowledge to that effect. On the upper set, I know the Navy Cross, Purple Heart and Marine GCM on the top row but, other than what my friend told me about the blue one, I don't know what the other two bottom row ones are. The lower set has, of course, the Am Def, Yang, and the blue one with one brown and one missing device.

Marine_Navy_Unk.jpg

Edited by USMCRECON, 25 August 2007 - 06:21 AM.

#24 Steve B.

Steve B.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:29 AM

reservists basically get a medal for being reserves, is how I hear it. seems kind of dumb.

Yeah, I guess the AFRM is "for being in the reserves" in the same way the National Defense Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal, Global War on Terrorism Medal, etc. are just for "being in the military."

#25 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 04:14 AM

Yeah, I guess the AFRM is "for being in the reserves" in the same way the National Defense Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal, Global War on Terrorism Medal, etc. are just for "being in the military."

practically. for serving during a time, regardless if you've done anything or not. The National Defense Medal is given upon completion of Boot Camp. We used to call it the Firewatch Medal, because that's all we'd done up to that point

Sorry, but I think a lot of award out there are nothing more than morale boosters. Medals don't make troops better at their jobs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users