• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#51 Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert
  • Members
    • Member ID: 92
  • 8,393 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:02 AM

While in NYC last week, I picked up a book in a B&N bookstore that has this picture in it...
It shows War Photographer Bert Brandt along with a couple of GIs all wearing Assault Vests...
I had never seen that picture before....

Attached Images

• BertBrandtAssaultJacket.jpg

#52 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,022
  • 37,412 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

Great pic Johan. Is that an A2 he's wearing beneath it? :think:

#53 Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert
  • Members
    • Member ID: 92
  • 8,393 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

Is that an A2 he's wearing beneath it? :think:

Yes, I believe it is... Here's another picture of Bert Brandt, taken in Normandy with what looks like the Assault Vest laying at his feet. His A2 jacket clearly visible..

Picture from: http://www.corbisimages.com

Attached Images

• BertBrandtNormandy.jpg

#54 capa

capa
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,646
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:28 AM

Here's a link for some interesting video of a soldier wearing an assault jacket http://www.criticalp...British-sailors. He appears at 2 min. in. Can't tell which unit he was with. Clip is of wounded troops being returned to England.

Wow. I had not seen this until now. VERY moving. The kindness of our British cousins really comes across in this film. The lack of noise, the reverence if you will, was astounding. (Their is indeed sound-turn up the speakers).
Thanks for sharing the video, it meant a lot to see it.
Fielding

Edited by capa, 25 May 2012 - 08:34 AM.

#55 capa

capa
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,646
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

Yes, I believe it is... Here's another picture of Bert Brandt, taken in Normandy with what looks like the Assault Vest laying at his feet. His A2 jacket clearly visible..

Picture from: http://www.corbisimages.com

Those suave photographers! Always trying to look good no matter where they go. My man Robert Capa tried to carry his Burberry's overcoat on his arm on the way in but dropped it pretty quickly when he figured out this was no North Africa landing.

#56 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,022
  • 37,412 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

Wow. I had not seen this until now. VERY moving. The kindness of our British cousins really comes across in this film. The lack of noise, the reverence if you will, was astounding. (Their is indeed sound-turn up the speakers).
Thanks for sharing the video, it meant a lot to see it.
Fielding

That is indeed a remarkable clip. Their shoulder patches identify them as first wave attackers of the 29th and 1st Divisions. Interesting to see what they had retained of their kit...a few rifles and carbines...even an assault gas-mask! Interesting also to see one GI wearing what appears to be a British dispatch rider's helmet.

#57 Shade Ruff

Shade Ruff
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,196
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

Sold on eBay for $5,400.99 on May 9th, 2012. Opening price was .99 cents. Item description follows:

Item Description

Hi, I have up for sale this WWII army vest. It is stamped US on the back top and 1944 Harian on the inside of that pocket. The size is medium. There are 6 pockets on the front and 2 large pockets on the back

The 4 small pockets on the front have a dark green strap that folds out from that pocket. Not sure what that's for. I'm not sure how it attaches in the front there is no zipper. It has two sets of straps that look like it closes that way but I'm not sure how they work

The jacket is in nice condition. It shows little use. I don't see any damage. The jackert looks like new old stock. The medium stamping on the inside is faded

Shade

Attached Images

• Harian.jpg

Edited by Shade Ruff, 27 May 2012 - 02:26 PM.

#58 stealthytyler

stealthytyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 131,595
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:34 PM

Found a great photo of 2 soldiers wearing their assault vests. They appear to be on their way to an invasion or training exercise. 

WWII Assault Vest.jpeg

#59 GITom1944

GITom1944
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,064
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:30 PM

Gere's some video of the vests being worn in training by a flamethrower team starting at 1:52

. Interesting that the vests are born by soldiers who will be carrying heavy loads on their backs during the landings.

Tom

#60 USARV72

USARV72
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,975
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:14 AM

Only pic of the one I had years ago, all pics are packed up. Harrian 44, bought at a Roanoke Va. flea market about 1999.8C09EF13-C7CC-4BB9-B9A4-B6EE4BDDF157.jpeg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users