53 replies to this topic

#51 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 24,355
  • 15,476 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:03 PM

M37, our unit in Vietnam had one with a 283 chevy from a M114. Dual exhaust, " Tops" vehicle, would do about 70! Unsure of what happened to it when we stood down. Problems with them are differentals, way to slow for driving around town.

That is interesting; I used to see a lot of restored M37's around, but never driving. Looking at the specs, it seems the M37 had a 5:83:1 ratio, while the WWII jeeps have a 4:88:1. Willys CJ-2A's came in at 5:38:1, but were marketed as more of a farm vehicle.

#52 USARV72

USARV72
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,975
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:20 PM

A company sells a better gear ratio front and rear ring and pinion set. Think "Army Motors" has ad for them, or just google it. Friend had one back in the 80s-90s, we used it for Vietnam displays, got to drive it to Jametown for MTA one year, lots of memories.

#53 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 24,355
  • 15,476 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

I ran across this and thought it was worth sharing, the first photo shows a 'Slat grill' MB at Camp Crowder in southwestern Missouri, but the second photo is hard to make out (same location by the way), I think it lacks a glovebox door though. Camp Crowder was a Signal Corps training facility for most of the war, but also taught other things.

slatgrill.jpg

slatgrilljeep.jpg

#54 earlymb

earlymb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 80
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

If it has a glovebox, it's either a late slat or an early standard grill. It still has the script name in the back panel, no jerrycanholer and the rear reflectors in the high position. Nice pics!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users