US Cannon, Repro?

ponyradish

I picked up this little beauty at an estate sale a couple of weeks ago. The top of the cannon by the touch hole is marked "US". As you can see by the leaf in the foreground it is a great collectible size. The cannon itself measures 14" in length, the entire length is 30". It appears to be about 75 caliber. It's a heavy little snot and I'm dying to touch it off. Now the questions. Is this a legit military piece? Signal cannon? toy? I can find nothing on the internet about time period, history, value, nothing. It is not maker marked. I see a few small ones on GunBroker and they seem to be bringing big dollars. Any help will be appreciated. Pony.

post-938-1287063451.jpg

post-938-1287063460.jpg

Can't anyone give me some help with idendtifying this cannon? Is it a US contract item? thanks in advance.

Are there any stampings on the ends of the trunnions? I'm no expert, but I don't think it is U.S. issue in spite of the barrel marking, but I am willing to be proven wrong!

Ponyradish

A “US” cast into an object does not make it a U.S. military contract item. On something like this, some marks indicating it passed some type of inspection before it was accepted would be expected. That is what HerbG was asking about.

My guess is like bummer’s, maybe to start races or parties?? Your cannon is very nice, however I do not think your canon belongs on this board.

That link looks perfect for your cannon.

45B20

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm not a cannon collector so was not sure. I guess "US" stamped on an item does not mean made for "US" military use.

suwanneetrader

attachment=323520:PA210003__Small_.JPG] I have a grown daughter (now32) who up until about 1997, when she was at college, collected cannons, especially ones that could be shot. She sold all but a couple of her collection to help pay for expenses at UF. She had about 80 examples. Included is a photo of a photo of the largest one we had. I found it under a pile of rusted cannons behind the oldest school house in America in St Augustine approx 1972. The other photo is of one she kept. It is very heavy, about 9 1/2" long with a 1/2 inch bore. I got it in the 1960's in Cincinnati from a lady who said her father or Grandfather (I don't remember which) used to shoot it with his friends (who had their cannons) at a GAR Post on various holidays that were inportant to those Vets. I believe your cannon is one assembled from parts that were sold by sutler's at Civil War enactments during the 1960's and possibly later (as I quit going during the 1970's).