Tragic death of Jim Frey

giconceptsjw

On Friday afternoon October 1st, my friend Jim Frey was helping to load vehicles onto a flatbed low-boy trailer in preparation for the annual Marching Through History public event in Chino California. They had just loaded a Stuart tank and were in the process of loading a mock-up Japanese Hago tank behind it. Jim was standing on the trailer behind the Stuart giving hand signals to the driver of the Hago. The Hago apparently stalled twice before going up the trailer ramp so on the third try the driver gave it a little more throttle. The tank came up the ramp too fast and couldn’t stop. Jim saw this and tried to jump off the trailer out of the way but he didn’t make it. His head was crushed between the two vehicles. The Hago tank did manage to stop on it’s own just 4 inches from the Stuart and tragically, Jim’s head was caught between that 4 inch wide space. It crushed his skull but did not kill him. He was taken to the hospital and upon arrival he had zero brain activity however, doctors maintained his breathing and heart rate mechanically. The following Tuesday, October 5th Jim’s family discontinued his life support realizing there was absolutely no chance of recovery. Jim died a short time later. That day was Jim’s 45th birthday. I had known Jim Frey since the mid 1990’s and he was a very happy, friendly guy and everyone liked him. The added tragedy to this is the driver of the Hago tank was also a very close friend of Jim’s and has since attempted suicide as a result of the accident. Jim had many years experience as a driver and mechanic on military vehicles and had loaded them for transportation literally hundreds of times before. He knew better than to place himself between two vehicles like that but he just forgot to be careful. This was a very tragic and senseless accident that has hit all of his friends & family very hard. In case anyone in the southern California area is interested, there will be an open invitation memorial for Jim at the Chino Air Museum on Saturday, October 30th at 11:00 am.

JW

General Apathy
On Friday afternoon October 1st, my friend Jim Frey was helping to load vehicles onto a flatbed low-boy trailer in preparation for the annual Marching Through History public event in Chino California. They had just loaded a Stuart tank and were in the process of loading a mock-up Japanese Hago tank behind it. Jim was standing on the trailer behind the Stuart giving hand signals to the driver of the Hago. The Hago apparently stalled twice before going up the trailer ramp so on the third try the driver gave it a little more throttle. The tank came up the ramp too fast and couldn’t stop. Jim saw this and tried to jump off the trailer out of the way but he didn’t make it. His head was crushed between the two vehicles. The Hago tank did manage to stop on it’s own just 4 inches from the Stuart and tragically, Jim’s head was caught between that 4 inch wide space. It crushed his skull but did not kill him. He was taken to the hospital and upon arrival he had zero brain activity however, doctors maintained his breathing and heart rate mechanically. The following Tuesday, October 5th Jim’s family discontinued his life support realizing there was absolutely no chance of recovery. Jim died a short time later. That day was Jim’s 45th birthday. I had known Jim Frey since the mid 1990’s and he was a very happy, friendly guy and everyone liked him. The added tragedy to this is the driver of the Hago tank was also a very close friend of Jim’s and has since attempted suicide as a result of the accident. Jim had many years experience as a driver and mechanic on military vehicles and had loaded them for transportation literally hundreds of times before. He knew better than to place himself between two vehicles like that but he just forgot to be careful. This was a very tragic and senseless accident that has hit all of his friends & family very hard. In case anyone in the southern California area is interested, there will be an open invitation memorial for Jim at the Chino Air Museum on Saturday, October 30th at 11:00 am.

JW

Sincere heartfelt consolations to his family and friends, a tragic event during what should have been a funfilled weekend.

lewis

JW

Sorry to hear the loss of your friend.May your memories of him help you lighten the burden of a tragic loss.

Please relay my sympathy and best wishes to the family.Another loss of a young man.

:salute:

RON

My deepest condolences. God Speed to your friend as he heads into another life. Prayers of comfort for the family & friends.

I will most definitely be attending at Chino airport, it is very close to my home.

I heard about the accident when I attended the Prado event, but the severity of the injury was not known.

My sincerest condolences, I will be at the memorial.

PvtTamura

I'm very sorry to hear this.

Thanks for posting the details. I'd heard it happened but nobody would say how. I'm not a sicko who gets kicks on these details, but it is important to know so others learn from the error.

I hope the driver gets the help he needs.
When I was active duty, one of my people did exactly the thing thing, but only with a PLS instead. Everyone forgot the driver, I'm glad someone else is thinking of him too.

Brian Dentino

Just saw this thread....what a tragedy....thoughts and prayers to both Jim and his family as well as the driver of the other vehicle. Like Ken said, a sad start to what should have been a happy and fun weekend. Godspeed......to all.