• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bradcliff

bradcliff
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 16,336
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:00 AM

i am new to the forum so i hope that i have this posted in the correct section.

I am building a m224 60mm mortar on a form 1 and almost have enough parts to complete the build. I have posted adds on a number of other forums but was told that i may have some luck here. I am interested in buying just about any m224 mortar parts you have, demilled or not. please let me know if you have or know of anyone who has any of these parts

in particular am looking for the folowing:
1. elevation mechanism
2. round Baseplate
3. m64a1 sight unit (i saw one on gunbroker a few years ago)
4. firing pin
5. yoke parts ie. buffer springs, caps, palmgrip knob (or a complete yoke)

you can follow my build HERE

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae144/benradcliff/m224%20mortar%20pics/m224-60mm-mortar.jpg
http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae144/benradcliff/m224%20mortar%20pics/101_0612.jpg
http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae144/benradcliff/m64a1sightunit.jpg

Thanks,
Ben Radcliff

#2 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

Hi Ben:

Welcome to the Forum.

That sure is an interesting project that you have underway. You obviously have some pretty good mechanical skills. How did you get yourself involved in a mortar rebuild project?

Regards,
Charlie

Edited by Charlie Flick, 09 October 2010 - 12:53 PM.

#3 lewis505

lewis505
  • Members
    • Member ID: 12,528
  • 820 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:36 AM

I went from Ammo bearer to Asst Gunner to Gunner to Squad Leader to Sect Sgt on the trusty M224 my 1st tour at Bragg w/ the 82nd - lemme know if you need any help w/ details!

Chris

Hi Ben:

Welcome to the Forum.

That sure is an interesting project that you have underway. You obviously have some pretty good mechanical skills. How did you get yourself involved in a mortar rebuild project?

Regards,
Charlie

#4 bradcliff

bradcliff
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:01 AM

Charlie,

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. As most of my projects go; I was up to my eyeballs in about three other projects when I came across a bundle of demilled m224 traversing mechanism parts. I have always loved the m224 and had wanted to get into mortars for quite some time so I bit in. I got three traversing mechanisms, one of which was for the most part complete (minus what the demill shears cut :() for just over 25 dollars! So, for the last few years I have been collecting parts and am just now getting around to this project.

Chris,

I appreciate the offer! I have been killing myself trying to find a complete yoke and I finally found one on gunbroker a couple of days ago. It had a buy it now price on it and before I could check with the wife (financial advisor for all of my "projects") someone else bought it. I guess I am going to have to make the internals for the yoke now....about how many pounds of pressure does it take to compress the springs in the yoke?

Thanks,
Ben

#5 lewis505

lewis505
  • Members
    • Member ID: 12,528
  • 820 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:08 PM

Charlie,

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. As most of my projects go; I was up to my eyeballs in about three other projects when I came across a bundle of demilled m224 traversing mechanism parts. I have always loved the m224 and had wanted to get into mortars for quite some time so I bit in. I got three traversing mechanisms, one of which was for the most part complete (minus what the demill shears cut :() for just over 25 dollars! So, for the last few years I have been collecting parts and am just now getting around to this project.
Chris,

I appreciate the offer! I have been killing myself trying to find a complete yoke and I finally found one on gunbroker a couple of days ago. It had a buy it now price on it and before I could check with the wife (financial advisor for all of my "projects") someone else bought it. I guess I am going to have to make the internals for the yoke now....about how many pounds of pressure does it take to compress the springs in the yoke?

Thanks,
Ben

Lemme dig out the 23&P manual & see what it is

#6 bradcliff

bradcliff
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:03 PM

for all of you guys who have been following my build on 1919a4.com

WELL good news and bad news...

The BAD news is that I got a call today from the machine shop that was supposed to be cutting my acme type screws for the traversing and elevation mechanism, informing me that I was pretty much SOL because they couldnít cut the od-ball, crazy, F-ing, government contract threads either.

THE GOOD NEWS is... while I was sucking down cold ones at the tailgate this weekend I ran into a guy who shared 2 key interests with me that made us instant friends... quality machine work and beer. As it turned out, he owns a machine shop in Oklahoma City and was down visiting his daughter for the weekend. We got to talking about the project and as I was expressing my doubts on whether the machine shop that I am using here in Texas could cut the threads. Before I could slur another word he cut me off and said "Hell not only will I take care of this for you... Iíll do it for FREE!!!!" needless to say I was delighted. Gotta love good people who are willing to help out their fellow man just cuz!

Stand the Hell by for pictures!

Ben Radcliff

#7 El Bibliotecario

El Bibliotecario
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,215
  • 913 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:42 PM

I went from Ammo bearer to Asst Gunner to Gunner to Squad Leader to Sect Sgt on the trusty M224 my 1st tour at Bragg w/ the 82nd - lemme know if you need any help w/ details!

Chris

Care to enlighten me on the current employment of this weapon? Is it strictly light infantry? I'm guessing three tubes per company. I ask because during my military service, the standard company level mortar for both light and mechanized infantry was the 81mm mortar.

#8 Varangian

Varangian
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,047
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:11 AM

the standard company level mortar for both light and mechanized infantry was the 81mm mortar.

81s are a battalion-level asset.

Companies get the 60mm.

#9 Redleg13a

Redleg13a
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,224
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:28 AM

81s are a battalion-level asset.

Companies get the 60mm.

Yup, company mortars. When I first started, the companies had 81mm mortars and the BN had 4.2inch.

#10 bradcliff

bradcliff
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

i havnt updated here in quite some time now and i am getting very close to the end of this build. i figgured some of you guys may be interested in the progress of this build. as always IF YOU HAVE ANY M224 MORTAR PARTS I WANT TO BUY THEM!!!!!! email me at [email protected]

anyways here is the latest update that i posted on 1919a4.com you can view the entire build HERE

AHH CRAP !!!
it will not let me post all the pictures. if you would like to see the full build just follow the link above.

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae144/benradcliff/m224%20mortar%20build%203/m224812.jpg

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae144/benradcliff/m224%20mortar%20build%203/m224807.jpg

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae144/benradcliff/m224%20mortar%20build%203/m224815.jpg

The link between the elevation mechanism and the right leg still needs to be made, along with a bronze lug like the one on the right leg.

I'm not sure if you could really tell from the previous pictures but I reparked the tube and was able to get a much darker park. Here is a good picture of how black I was able to get the tube.

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae144/benradcliff/m224%20mortar%20build%203/m224809.jpg

#11 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
    • Member ID: 67
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

Yup, company mortars. When I first started, the companies had 81mm mortars and the BN had 4.2inch.

Me too. Here in Italy infantry bataillon is composed by three rifle companies with 81mm plus one 120mm mortars company.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users