LVT's in the ETO

Proud Kraut

I always thought that the LVT's were used in the PTO only. Today I found a picture showing LVT's used by Allies at the Elbe crossing. I did a little research but could not find out which U.S. units used the LVT's over here. Maybe Engineers? Thanks for your help!

Lars

Johan Willaert

I have an original photograph showing an LVT being transported towards the Rhine for the early 1945 crossing...

Will have to check to see if the unit is marked in the caption... More tonight

Johan

General Apathy
I always thought that the LVT's were used in the PTO only. Today I found a picture showing LVT's used by Allies at the Elbe crossing. I did a little research but could not find out which U.S. units used the LVT's over here. Maybe Engineers? Thanks for your help!

Lars

Hi Lars, we have had a previous topic on LVT's in Europe below is a link to it, I think it was left open ended no definite details emerged.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...1509&hl=LVT

lewis

Johan Willaert
I have an original photograph showing an LVT being transported towards the Rhine for the early 1945 crossing...

That picture's in the topic Ken referred to....

Thank you both very much for your help! Great pictures! I have to check them again and see, if the LVT A 1 Alligator (with37 mm turret) was used in the ETO as well.

Thanks again!

Lars

For the Rhine crossing of 23-24 March 45, the BRITISH operated LVT's, which they called Buffalos.

IIRC their amtrac units were Engineer branch, and one of the units was a Yeomanry (mounted volunteer militia) outfit.

IIRC US Navy units were brought forward with LCVPs (trailered in on Dragon Wagons) and also LVTs. There also were Seabees involved with the USN presence, but I do not know their connection to the LVTs.

There at least two E;be R. crossings of which I am aware: south of Hamburg, at Bleckede (w/ 82nd Abn Div) and farther south, at Magdeburg (83rd ID, 2nd AD). Brits operated Buffaloes at Bleckede.

PM sent.

• 3 months later...

Lars

LVT4's were used to ferry 88th Infantry troops across the Po River in Italy in 1945. The drive controls were similar to the M5A1 light tank, so tankers of the 752nd Tank Battalion operated the LVT4's in this operation. I have pics on my website ( 752ndtank.com ).

• 6 years later...
Backtheattack

At Magdeburg, or to be correct at Westerhüsen, the 17th Armored Engineer Btn. used DUKW`s for crossing the Elbe river. This was the first bridgehead build there, but the Ponton Bridge was destroyed and the bridgehead lost.