does the USAF still issue the leather A2 flight jacket?

MAS36

in the late 1980's the air force did bring back the traditional design of the A-2 to issue to air force pilots and cooper was one the government contractors if my memory serves right.

Laury Allison

Yes, the Leather A-2 Flight Jacket was reintroduced for wear in September 1987 in conjunction with the Air Force's 40th Anniversary. They are issued to personnel on flying duties and may be worn with flight gear or blue service uniforms. I was working at HQs Pacific Air Forces at the time in the Personal Affairs Section. Our office handled the uniform wear policy for the Air Force, so we answered a lot of questions and did a lot of background research on the A-2.

I believe Cooper is the main supplier for these jackets. I have several of them that I've picked up over the years and wear one often (when it's cold of course). I love mine! They are a great wearing jacket and the style never goes out of style!

Laury

101combatvet

Cooper wasn't the only manufacter there were others. I was able to buy a few NOS A-2s awhile back..... how they made it out of the warehouse is anyones guess..

Cooper wasn't the only manufacter there were others. I was able to buy a few NOS A-2s awhile back..... how they made it out of the warehouse is anyones guess..

maybe they followed somebody home :lol:

101combatvet

Actually, with base down sizing the lot may have hit the auction block.... but being a good boy... I never asked the seller.

I'm currently a flyer in the Air Force Reserves and the jacket I was issued in 2001 came from the Defense Supply Center Philadelphia (DSCP). It has A-2 Flyer's Jacket Made By: AVIREX on the inside tag. It also has the tag for the National Stock Number, Size, Lot number, etc... It has a Made in U.S.A. AVIREX LTD tag (below the DSCP sewn in tag) on one side of it and the other side has Long Island City, New York with a phone number and web site address as well.

Randy

thumbsup.gif