• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alec

Alec
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,194
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:32 PM

This is believed to be a photo that was part of the 1904 St Louis Exposition display the Marine Corps attended. Should be verified next week. This photo was found in circa 1904 documents. I assume this is the earliest known photo showing these types of details. Scan I will be getting this weekend will have better detail.

Note how wide Central America is in the EGA. I have not seen this style on a cap before. Does anyone have this variety in their collection?

Attached Images

• EGA_closeup.jpg
  • 1904_Band_EGA_copy.jpg

Edited by Alec, 29 September 2010 - 07:54 PM.

#2 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

This is believed to be a photo that was part of the 1904 St Louis Exposition display the Marine Corps attended. Should be verified next week. This photo was found in circa 1904 documents. I assume this is the earliest known photo showing these types of details. Scan I will be getting this weekend will have better detail.

Note how wide Central America is in the EGA. I have not seen this style on a cap before. Does anyone have this variety in their collection?

Alec,
Great photo. Nice to see the version of EGA used on at least this helmet. Brian has an original one (brass), on the shield, and I think M. O'shea has one as well. Sorry I missed your call, was wrapping up many issues at work tonight. Fred B. has sent me some pics of gold and silver examples. Fakes are prevalent and can be found on e-bay and one version is being sold by a guy who slowly lets them out with squared off prongs on the back. The side buttons also appear to be different on this helmet. Can you post closer shots of that part of the scan please?

Mike

#3 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,501 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:34 AM

... Fakes are prevalent and can be found on e-bay and one version is being sold by a guy who slowly lets them out with squared off prongs on the back.

Mike

An example of the one Mike mentions. These have been doled out on ebay forever.

Attached Images

• test_025.jpg
  • test_024.jpg

#4 Alec

Alec
  • Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:08 PM

Alec,
Great photo. Nice to see the version of EGA used on at least this helmet. Brian has an original one (brass), on the shield, and I think M. O'shea has one as well. Sorry I missed your call, was wrapping up many issues at work tonight. Fred B. has sent me some pics of gold and silver examples. Fakes are prevalent and can be found on e-bay and one version is being sold by a guy who slowly lets them out with squared off prongs on the back. The side buttons also appear to be different on this helmet. Can you post closer shots of that part of the scan please?

Mike

Will post when I get original scan as this quality does not provide any details you can really see.

#5 Alec

Alec
  • Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:22 PM

My researcher just infomred me this Photograph is from Horstmann and is dated 1881. I assume one of the earliest and clearest known photos to date of a USMC EGA.

#6 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,501 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:42 AM

My researcher just infomred me this Photograph is from Horstmann and is dated 1881. I assume one of the earliest and clearest known photos to date of a USMC EGA.

Agree - the photo's do indeed collaborate Driscoll's comments & pic's as seen on pages 12, 13 and 14 of his manuscript.

#7 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,501 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users