Preservation options for my grandfather's Ike jacket

Longhorn92

When my grandfather gave me his Ike jacket about 30 years ago, it was already in terrible shape--mostly moth issues. His ribbon bar, CIB, and the other insignia are in somewhat decent shape but could definitely use a cleaning. The SSI is pretty dirty looking.

I want to display it somehow and since the Ike jacket is near gone, what do you guys think about stripping the jacket and displaying everything in a shadow box or frame of some sort? On the one hand, I hate to strip the jacket; on the other hand, I'm certain it's beyond repair.

The other option I thought about was buying a replacement Ike and putting his insignia on the new one. But I think the insignia would stand out as older looking than the newer Ike.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

If you are sentimental about keeping the original Ike jacket, you could purchase a large sports shirt frame, popular at Hobby Lobby and display the ike that way, or you can do as you said, remove the ribbons, and other items from the Ike jacket and display them in a shadow box.

Space is also a factor, but can you please post pictures of the uniform?

Leigh..

Here are some pics. One tailor told me it would take up too much of his time to repair and another said it would cost me a fortune. There are small holes all over the jacket that don't show up too great in the pics.

Not sure why his ribbon bar is out of order; that's how it was when he gave it to me.

post-15696-1285801537.jpg

post-15696-1285801547.jpg

Looks like it has seen better days. You may just want to leave it as is, it has character. I wish I had my Dads jacket, regardless of condition it cool. Just my 2 cents

Bob

Looks like it has seen better days. You may just want to leave it as is, it has character. I wish I had my Dads jacket, regardless of condition it cool. Just my 2 cents

Bob

Adding on to Bob's advice, I wish I had my grandpa's Ike, but he sold it after Korea.

I would put that in a frame, with acid free backing, as is. It has character. :thumbsup: My .02

PvtT

I would say the same thing: preserve as it is.

This is the actual jacket your grandfather whore and you will not find another one, so I would definately not remove the insignia (but that is up to yourself of course).

Perhaps you can preserve the jacket and purchase some identical patches and frame those?

Just a thought...

Good luck,

Tom

Bob

I agree with framing it, you may want to check with a local museum and see if they can refer you to a restoration person for advice or a cost for as much repair and cleaning that can be reasonably done before you frame it, going that extra step may save you some regret after it is framed.

Bill

My suggestion would be to bag it, let it sit in the freezer for about a month to kill any leftover moth larve (sneaky buggers) and then go over it with a clothes brush and a lint roller to get rid of any dust/dirt/etc. that might be left behind. Steam it to get out any wrinkles, and then frame it. Unfortunately, it's too far gone to do any reweaving on it. If you really did want to repair the holes, buy another Ike (or pair of trousers0 and sew chunks of fabric from that one in place where the holes are...not perfect, but it would work.

Dave

You could also use part of the Ike as background IF you decide to get rid of it.

Keep part of the sleeve with the patches on, the part where the ribbons are on, etc.

You could take a photo of the Ike as it looks and frame it with the parts and insignia.

And maybe add some info as well.

Just a thought.

For what's it worth; I would clean it up and keep it as it is.

It has too much emotional value.

I would frame it together with a photo and some information (Regiment, name of soldier, etc).

Erwin

I would say the same thing: preserve as it is.

This is the actual jacket your grandfather whore and you will not find another one, so I would definately not remove the insignia (but that is up to yourself of course).

Perhaps you can preserve the jacket and purchase some identical patches and frame those?

Just a thought...

Good luck,

Tom

There is only ONE original!! I would not strip it, preserve it and display it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you for posting the pictures. Now that I have seen it, I would honestly keep it all together. As Dave said, place it in a bag in the freezer to kill off any stragglers. As I suggested you may want to look into Hobby Lobby or another hobby store that specializes in framing, or a museum that may assist you in ideas to display the coat. I would consider purchasing a sports shirt shadow box. These are large enough for sports shirts and they would surely fit your uniform. You can fold the sleeves over so the 36th ID patch is still visible.

As far as the ribbon order, If this was the way your Grandfather gave it to you, leave it that way. You will see many Ike jackets and other uniforms with ribbons out of order of precedence. Soldier's were not really too concerned with the order the ribbons were placed on their uniforms, and with single ribbons, they usually just pinned them on.

On a side note: I have a 63rd ID Ike jacket with the 36th ID patch as the former wartime service, it belonged to a medic and it has a combat medic badge but only 2 ribbons, the American Defense ribbon and the European African Middle Eastern Campaign Ribbon with 4 campaign stars and 1 bronze arrowhead assault landing device. It is missing the WW2 victory ribbon and good conduct ribbon, and possibly other ribbons..

As others have mentioned this is your grandfather's Ike, and it has character..

Leigh...

I echo the sentiments of those who have said to frame the Ike. It would be a shame to lose such a wonderful piece of your family history. My Great Uncle fought in the 141st Infantry (as your Grandfather did, judging by his DIs) and I would love to have any article of clothing that he wore during his service.

Thanks for sharing, Longhorn92!

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, the pictures are not allowed since they are not US uniforms I am sorry that I went against forum policy.

Best regards

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Your Grandfather was a highly decorated member of a celebrated division that saw some of the most intense combat in WWII (Italy)....a "T-patcher". I would frame it as suggested. I would say a good 50% of the out of the woodwork tunics I see have the ribbons out of order. The guys were demobilizing and didn't care. In this case, I would imagine that he had the lower three ribbons on there first, then received the top two and just pinned them on in the order received....do you have a copy of his Silver Star citation?

I would leave it as is. I would also put together a second jacket. Buy all of the components & put together a nice replica to display. - Dave

do you have a copy of his Silver Star citation?

I do have it but it's faded and doesn't copy well. I'll try to get it up here soon.

Thanks again for the help.