My Pilots and their Airplanes

Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian

Thanks guys!

Here's a shot of the instrument panel. As for building a 67th FS P-400, if I come across a uniform that belonged to one of their pilots, I'd build it in a hearbeat. But without that connection, I'm gonna stick with one P-400 in the collection.

IMG_0372-1.jpg

Jon

Cobrahistorian

Ok, did a little bit of work tonight on the P-400 and one of the three P-47s I have building. Mainly worked on cleaning up some seams and installing landing gear struts. The Jug has Aires resin wheel wells and Scale Model Conversions white metal gear struts. The P-400, other than the two .30 cal rounds, is built straight from the box.

IMG_0373-1.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

Cobrahistorian
They look great! :jeal0001: I wish I could work on mine, two daughters under two makes it hard to work on my stuff

I hear ya! I'm building as much as I can right now. My son's about to be 2 and baby #2 is on the way! I'd like to get at least half of these completed before he/she arrives!

Jon

Jon,

With a toddler I have a word of warning...

My Dad used to build a ton of model airplanes. They were on a shelf near my sister's playpen. When he walked in the room, she had broken every airplane into pieces. :pinch: She had all the parts stacked together. A stack of wings, a stack of propellers.... :lol:

...Kat

Cobrahistorian
Jon,

With a toddler I have a word of warning...

My Dad used to build a ton of model airplanes. They were on a shelf near my sister's playpen. When he walked in the room, she had broken every airplane into pieces. :pinch: She had all the parts stacked together. A stack of wings, a stack of propellers.... :lol:

...Kat

Kat,

He's been pretty good so far. We go down to the basement (my workshop) together a couple times a week. My really good models are kept in a display case and those I'm working on are in one corner of the room. He's allowed to play in any part of the room, but must ask permission to go in "Daddy's Corner". He caught on fast and asks every time to "see airpanes!" I've got a few that he's allowed to hold and look at, and of course, he's got his own patches and airplanes now too.

Cobrahistorian

Hey all,

I've been making slow but steady progress on several of my model/uniform projects. This one is actually a rebuild of a Hellcat that I'd built in the late 90s. I originally built it as an early F6F-5 in David McCampbell's markings, but since acquiring LCDR Jaynes' uniform, I decided to strip it and rebuild it as the F6F-3N he flew in support of Operation DRAGOON in August-October 1944.

The radome is scratchbuilt and made from a 500lb bomb, chunks of drop tank, sheet styrene and a lot of Bondo. The radar scope inside the cockpit is a piece of styrene rod. The cowling is the Quickboost replacement cowling for the Hasegawa kit, whose intake is incorrectly shaped. Wheels are resin late-production Hellcat wheels from Quickboost as well. Seat belts are the Eduard painted photo etch USN/USAAF belts.

This is one uniform that I will be building two models for. Jaynes was called back to Active Duty in 1950 as a Lieutenant Commander and served as a Det Commander in VC-61, flying F9F-2P and F2H-2P photo recon jets over Korea.

.... and as I'm writing this, I realized I've committed one of the cardinal sins of modeling....

I didn't continually check my references. Apparently one of the photos I'd been using was a reversed negative and I put the radar on the wrong wing.... I've now lopped it off (saved about 90% of it) and will be adding it to the other wing... *sigh....

Ok, on to the pics:

Jaynes' blues.

IMG_0432.jpg

Closeup of his bullion wings. I added the 2-place wide ribbon bar. He also earned two Air Medals for his combat time in the MTO.

IMG_0433.jpg

The model:

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

Corrected Radar installation:

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

:twothumbup: :twothumbup:

Something about adding the model gives the uniform collection an extra depth...you have the uniform, the research, and the model altogether -- that's pretty cool

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Cobrahistorian

My latest focus has been an Accurate Miniatures A-36A built as Captain Eugene W. Santala's airplane. Santala flew with the 523rd Fighter Squadron, 27th Fighter Group in 1942-43. He earned a Distinguished Flying Cross and numerous OLCs to his Air Medal. He scored his first and only kill, an Me109 on 25 September 1943 and was one of three pilots from the squadron to score that day. I've been looking into his mission records and have gotten quite a bit. Unfortunately, I have not found the debriefing for his kill mission, but I've got numerous mission reports where he flew as Flight Leader and Mission Commander.

From a number of those mission reports, I've been able to figure that an A-36A, coded CV on the tail was his assigned aircraft. He flew a few others in combat, but overwhelmingly CV was his. The 27th FG used 2-letter tail codes vertically arranged on the tails of their airplanes. The 522nd used A*, 523rd used C* and 524th used B*. I know it's out of order, and I've yet to figure out why, but they did it that way.

I'm building this particular airplane because Santala's RAF Type D flight helmet, Transition Training logbook (P-40F), flight suits, canteens, and a bunch of other stuff is one of the great groupings in my collection.

This first shot shows the 523rd flightline sometime after July 1943, most likely no later than September. The red surround on the national insignia is half painted out on the nearest aircraft, and was only authorized between 29 June and 14 August 1943. The order for the blue surround on the star & bar was issued on 14 August, so this must be shortly after that. The last airplane in this lineup is Santala's "CV". One last thing to note is the non-standard nose color. One of the tactical identifiers of MTO airplanes was a red nose. Yet here, it is clear that the 523rd airplanes have a blue-painted prop spinner. Comparing the tonal values of the freshly painted surround on the national insignia and the aircraft's nose, the color is identical.

523rd005.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

flight helmets 522
My latest focus has been an Accurate Miniatures A-36A built as Captain Eugene W. Santala's airplane. Santala flew with the 523rd Fighter Squadron, 27th Fighter Group in 1942-43. He earned a Distinguished Flying Cross and numerous OLCs to his Air Medal. He scored his first and only kill, an Me109 on 25 September 1943 and was one of three pilots from the squadron to score that day. I've been looking into his mission records and have gotten quite a bit. Unfortunately, I have not found the debriefing for his kill mission, but I've got numerous mission reports where he flew as Flight Leader and Mission Commander.

From a number of those mission reports, I've been able to figure that an A-36A, coded CV on the tail was his assigned aircraft. He flew a few others in combat, but overwhelmingly CV was his. The 27th FG used 2-letter tail codes vertically arranged on the tails of their airplanes. The 522nd used A*, 523rd used C* and 524th used B*. I know it's out of order, and I've yet to figure out why, but they did it that way.

I'm building this particular airplane because Santala's RAF Type D flight helmet, Transition Training logbook (P-40F), flight suits, canteens, and a bunch of other stuff is one of the great groupings in my collection.

This first shot shows the 523rd flightline sometime after July 1943, most likely no later than September. The red surround on the national insignia is half painted out on the nearest aircraft, and was only authorized between 29 June and 14 August 1943. The order for the blue surround on the star & bar was issued on 14 August, so this must be shortly after that. The last airplane in this lineup is Santala's "CV". One last thing to note is the non-standard nose color. One of the tactical identifiers of MTO airplanes was a red nose. Yet here, it is clear that the 523rd airplanes have a blue-painted prop spinner. Comparing the tonal values of the freshly painted surround on the national insignia and the aircraft's nose, the color is identical.

523rd005.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

Hi, I would be interested in seeing pics of your A-36. My Grandmother's brother, 2Lt Charles A Head, flew the A-36 with the 522nd FS of the @7th FBG. He was KIA Sept 26, 1943... Thanks, Phil.

flight helmets 522
Hi, I would be interested in seeing pics of your A-36. My Grandmother's brother, 2Lt Charles A Head, flew the A-36 with the 522nd FS of the 27th FBG. He was KIA Sept 26, 1943... Thanks, Phil.

Great work...Thanks for the pics... Always interested in anything to do with the 27th FBG.

Phil.

Cobrahistorian
Great work...Thanks for the pics... Always interested in anything to do with the 27th FBG.

Phil.

Phil,

I'll get some more pics up as she gets finished. The book I'm currently working on will feature the 27th prominently through 1944-45.

Jon

flight helmets 522
Phil,

I'll get some more pics up as she gets finished. The book I'm currently working on will feature the 27th prominently through 1944-45.

Jon

That's great. I've asked a couple of the 27th vets how their P-47s were marked, but they couldn't remember in detail. The 27th replaced their A-36s with P-40s for a short time and then transitioned to the P-47 in '44-'45.

Thanks again,

Phil.

Cobrahistorian
That's great. I've asked a couple of the 27th vets how their P-47s were marked, but they couldn't remember in detail. The 27th replaced their A-36s with P-40s for a short time and then transitioned to the P-47 in '44-'45.

Thanks again,

Phil.

Phil,

The markings varied by squadron, but all were marked with a single letter. I'm still having some issues finding a good 523rd airplane to do in the color profiles section, but I've got good ones for the 522nd and 524th

Jon

flight helmets 522
Phil,

The markings varied by squadron, but all were marked with a single letter. I'm still having some issues finding a good 523rd airplane to do in the color profiles section, but I've got good ones for the 522nd and 524th

Jon

Jon... I'd love to see that. There's a great book about the A-36 and the 27th and 86th Fighter Bomber Groups, as well as the 311th Fighter Bomber Group, who flew The A-36 in the CBI. The title is "Straight Down!", by Peter C. Smith. I don't remember it having any color pics, though.

Phil.

• 3 months later...
wwIIfighterpilots

Wonderful idea to displays models with uniforms of the pilots. I have always thought that would be a great display but just don't have the modelling skills you do.

Please continue to post photos.

• 3 weeks later...
John Cooper

Hi Jon,

I had to come check this out because you mentioned it in your other post. I love the P-47! (and the FW-190 on the Luftwaffe side)

Cheers

John

Cobrahistorian
Hi Jon,

I had to come check this out because you mentioned it in your other post. I love the P-47! (and the FW-190 on the Luftwaffe side)

Cheers

John

Thanks John! Been busy as anything with the P-47 book and the new baby, so I haven't made much progress on some of these builds. I need to get back into building now that the book's off to the publisher!

Jon

Yellow paint over the entire empennage and then individually cut and sized black decal checkers. I almost went blind doing it!

I've got a pair of resin wheels ordered for this particular bird and then will add the gear doors, antenna and aerial and we'll declare her finished!

Jon

Blind or not...you did a great job.