My Pilots and their Airplanes

Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian

Hey all,

I'm working on four Jugs right now, all related to my WWII uniform and photo collection. This one is Lt. Morris Magnuson's "MAJ MAC" from the 23rd FS, 36th FG. If you're interested in the history of this bird, John Mollison has an incredible history of Lt. Magnuson's WWII experience up on his website and a great color profile of his airplane. Here's the link MAJ MAC

MAJ MAC and Lt. Magnuson came into my life about six months ago when I purchased a grouping of about 25 photos that were primarily of Lt. Magnuson, his ground crew and his airplane. There are some incredible shots in the grouping. After a little bit of research, I came across John Mollison's website and learned Morrie Magnuson's story. Truly an amazing man. Unfortunately, I received an email recently from John letting me know that Mr. Magnuson passed away suddenly on August 29th. So I figured I'd finish this build as a farewell to him.

I've gotta get some custom decals done for the tail "Easy's Angels" markings and the name "MAJ MAC", but otherwise, I'm just cobbling the markings together from various sources. Enjoy!

IMG_0023-1.jpg

IMG_0024-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Cobrahistorian

Hey all,

I posted a shot of this one in the Uniforms section as well, since I'm building this to go along with Harold Wolfe's uniform. This is the Hasegawa 48th scale kit with custom and kitbashed decals. I haven't printed out the custom decals for the name or the kill markings yet, but should have those done on Monday.

Harold Wolfe served with the 317th Fighter Squadron, 325th Fighter Group and flew both P-47s and P-51s. He shot down one Me109 while flying P-47s and two Me109s and a Rumanian IAR-80 in P-51s.

DSCN2101.jpg

DSCN2102.jpg

that's a nice looking Mustang! great job :thumbsup: I also think that's a very neat idea to build a model representing a ride belonging to an ID'd uniform in your collection. Too cool.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...
Cobrahistorian

Ok, making headway. I made custom decals for the name, kill markings and pilot's name. It was my first attempt and worked out pretty well!

All that's left is to do the resin wheels, add the gear doors, canopy and radio aerial!

IMG_0027-2.jpg

IMG_0028-2.jpg

Cobrahistorian

I experimented with custom decals and was very happy with the results! I created decals for "MAJ MAC", "Easy's Angels" and the 23rd FS "7U" codes. Came out pretty nice!

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0032-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Cobrahistorian
Love the tail...is it paint or decals?

Yellow paint over the entire empennage and then individually cut and sized black decal checkers. I almost went blind doing it!

I've got a pair of resin wheels ordered for this particular bird and then will add the gear doors, antenna and aerial and we'll declare her finished!

Jon

• 3 weeks later...
Cobrahistorian

Thanks guys! Been working on a few others as well. MAJ MAC is just about done, just needs ordnance, which I will get to eventually. Right now in the P-47 realm, I'm working on two D models from the 324th FG and an N model from the 507th FG. The D's will go with photos I've got for the book I'm working on, and the N will go with a uniform recently added to my collection.

Jon

Cobrahistorian
Jon - that's a lot of Jugs! Do you reckon you could build one in your sleep by now? :lol:

Terry

Terry, you're tellin me! The Tamiya kit pretty much falls together by itself. Hasegawa is a close second. Academy needs a little finesse to be accurate, but yeah, I could probably do a Tamiya one in my sleep at this point. Here's what's currently on my workbench:

P-47D-15-RE 42-76167 E4*? 90% complete (To display with 1Lt George Kelly's uniform)

P-47D-23-RE 42-27915 "98" "Janie" 40% complete (Display with photos of forum member 316thFS 324th FG's grandfather's airplane) *

P-47D-25-RE 42-26444 "E" "Candie Jr." 30% complete (display with photos, courtesy of 1st Sgt CES, whose Uncle flew this airplane) *

P-47D-25-RE 42-26785 "6D5" "Oh Johnnie" 0% complete *

P-47D-25-RE 42-26861 "94" "Marie" 70% complete (display with photos, courtesy of 316thFS 324th FG) *

P-47D-28-RA 42-28927 7U*N " MAJ MAC" 90% complete (On display with 25 photos of Lt. Magnuson and his airplane)

P-47N-2-RE serial unknown "High Cover" 50% complete (To display with Maj. Dave Pierson's uniform)

P-47N-2-RE 44-33221 "119" "Chautauqua" 0% complete

F-6A "BG" 111th TRS 0% complete

F-6B 43-6163 AX*G 75% complete (display with original photos)

F-6C 15th TRS, exact airframe TBD, 30% complete (display with original photos)

F-6D 44-72565 ZM*S "Sugar Train" 50% complete (display with original photos)

P-51D-5-NA "The Lone Wolfe", 317th FS, 325th FG, Capt. Harold Wolfe, 90% complete (to display with Capt. Wolfe's uniform)

P-51D-5-NA 44-13503, 307th FS, 31st FG, Maj. John Gfeller 30% complete (to display with Maj. Gfeller's uniform)

Spitfire IX 307th FS, 31st FG, Maj John Gfeller, 40% complete (to display with P-51 and Maj. Gfeller's uniform)

L-4H "33" (to display with Maj. Charles Clime's uniforms)

F6F-3N VF(N)-74, 50% complete, (to display with LCDR S.L. Jaynes's uniform)

Those listed with an * above are to be profiled in the book I'm working on for Osprey.

SO yeah... seventeen single engined fighters in some stage of construction. I should be knocking a few off the list this week if all goes well...

Jon

Cobrahistorian
holy cow! I figured you were working on maybe 6-8 P-47s. But SEVENTEEN??!!

My hat's off to you, sir! Enjoy that glue-sniffing :lol:

Terry

Terry,

Yeah, I've always built with a bit of an assembly line mentality. Honestly, I'm actively working on three Jugs and two Mustangs right now. As soon as I hit a stalling point on one, I shift to another build.

That happened the other night with my Accurate Miniatures F-6B. She's painted and partially decaled, but both the kit and the aftermarket decals I got are incorrect. The kit has gray squadron codes and the extra sheet has white codes. The 107th TRS codes were yellow. So, until I get the correct yellow lettering, she goes on hold.

I also forgot to list the P-40C that I've got building. This one'll take a bit longer, as I'm working on a set of masters that will be cast in resin and offered as a correction set to fix the accuracy issues with the Hobbycraft/Academy P-40C kit. The correction set will include a new radiator trough, radiator assembly, wing spars, and open cowl flaps.

I've always loved modeling, but being able to intermesh it with my militaria-collecting hobby has made it a lot more fun!

Oh, did I mention the 48th scale B-29? Slowly working on that one too. It'll be displayed with its bombardier's (KIA)tunic once it is done. BIG model!

Jon

Wow, Jon, great models!! Thanks for sharing them with us, I don't think I have time for TWO hobbies, haha. I really enjoyed the website about MAJOR MAC as well, thanks for posting the link.

Tyler

Cobrahistorian
Great idea. I'd like to see how you plan to display these with the appropriate uniforms.

Dave

Right now I've got room for about a dozen uniforms on torso forms in the basement. I've only got 3 up there so far (my grandfather, my wife's grandfather and a KIA B-29 bombardier) and plan to display the models by each uniform.

Spent some time tonight working on my F-6C. This one'll be from the 15th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron. I've got a couple original pics of some 15th birds and there's a shot of one with the tail fin fillet and a Malcolm hood, but it's painted in OD/Neutral Gray. Just an interesting combination of early and late features on a single airframe. I'm looking for a uniform to go along with any of my Tac Recon birds now....

Anyhow, I grafted the tail of a P-51D onto my P-51B in order to make it a late-model P-51C/F-6C.

DSCN2221.jpg

DSCN2224.jpg

DSCN2222.jpg

DSCN2223.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Cobrahistorian

Hey all,

I just started on my Hasegawa P-400 Sunday night (add it to the in-progress list of WWII fighters on my workbench!). This one too will be included in my uniform display, as I've just gotten a uniform that belonged to a P-400 pilot from the 35th FG. Anyhow, as I was building, I realized that yes, I'm building an Airacobra and I needed nose weight....

Fresh out of fishing weights....

Normally I'd cram pennies or hex nuts in there, but pennies are too big and I had no hex nuts on hand. I didn't have much else to work with...

And then the muse struck me. I've had a bunch of 1942 Lake City Arsenal .30 caliber rounds sitting around. The shell casings were swollen and corroded, so I'd pulled the powder out of them a while ago. So, what the hey... it turns out that two .30 caliber slugs fit perfectly in the weapons bay!

IMG_0328-1.jpg

Hey all,

I just started on my Hasegawa P-400 Sunday night (add it to the in-progress list of WWII fighters on my workbench!). This one too will be included in my uniform display, as I've just gotten a uniform that belonged to a P-400 pilot from the 35th FG. Anyhow, as I was building, I realized that yes, I'm building an Airacobra and I needed nose weight....

Fresh out of fishing weights....

Normally I'd cram pennies or hex nuts in there, but pennies are too big and I had no hex nuts on hand. I didn't have much else to work with...

And then the muse struck me. I've had a bunch of 1942 Lake City Arsenal .30 caliber rounds sitting around. The shell casings were swollen and corroded, so I'd pulled the powder out of them a while ago. So, what the hey... it turns out that two .30 caliber slugs fit perfectly in the weapons bay!

IMG_0328-1.jpg

Could you get any more appropriate? :thumbsup:

Steve Hesson

Cobrahistorian

Thanks guys! I'll see if I can get some more pics up tonight. I do want to get a shot of all 13 of my uniforms and their models in whatever stage of construction they're in.

Right now I've got:

P-400 - Lt. Bernard Oliver - 40th Fighter Squadron - Airframe together, awaiting primer

P-40F - Maj Joe Bell - 66th Fighter Squadron - Just have to paint the canopy and finish the weathering and she'll be finished.

P-47D - Maj Ray McClung - 22nd Fighter Squadron - just started

P-47D - Lt. George Kelly - 377th Fighter Squadron - needs individual aircraft code letter and weathering

P-47N - Maj Dave Pierson - 465th Fighter Squadron - Airframe together, awaiting primer

P-51D - Capt Harold Wolfe - 317th Fighter Squadron - awaiting resin wheels, nearly complete

Spitfire - Maj John Gfeller - 307th Fighter Squadron - Airframe together, awaiting primer

A-36A- Capt Eugene Santala - 523rd Fighter Squadron - Airframe together, awaiting primer

L-4H - Maj Charles Clime - 195th Field Artillery Group - Awaiting re-filling and paint

L-19 - Maj Charles Clime - 1st Cav DIVARTY (Aviation Section commander) - Decaling and weathering

B-29 - Lt. Morris Rosenthal - 882nd Bomb Squadron - Cockpit under construction

F6F-3N - LCDR S. Lester Jaynes - VF(N)-74 - Wing paint being retouched

F6F-3P - Lt. Warren Manhart - VMD-354 - unstarted