Uniform Grouping of Waldo Peirce

Croix de Guerre

Joyeux anniversaire mon bon camarade Waldo !

Tom, You have done a magnificent job here. I have seen many AFS groups and few compare to this one. Your commitment to research has born much fruit and it appears that there will be more. This post is a great read. Thanks for sharing.

DJ

• 3 months later...
Croix de Guerre
One of my favorite threads Tom. If you every published a Waldo book, I'd buy one.

Thanks Mark! It is in the works. I hope to get Thomson to the publisher this summer and then start in earnest on Waldo. There may even be a trip to Alsace in the making as part of a companion documentary film! More later. ;)

Thanks Mark! It is in the works. I hope to get Thomson to the publisher this summer and then start in earnest on Waldo. There may even be a trip to Alsace in the making as part of a companion documentary film! More later. ;)

That's way cool Tom! Keep us posted. Please!

• 3 months later...
Croix de Guerre
I always marvel at this colection. It's humbling to add a post to such a fine exhibition.

Thank you!

Looking forward to reading it! Are the plans still in the works for a trip to Alsace?

Croix de Guerre
Looking forward to reading it! Are the plans still in the works for a trip to Alsace?

Yes sir, in the works, getting some corporate backing to finance the trip.

Croix de Guerre

It ain't no use

To be really aesthetic

If the painter hisself

Ain’t a little pathetic

An our bard of Bangor

He led too many lives

An’ had too many wenches

And too many wives

He had too many vittles

An’ too much licker

An’ too many homes

In France and Afrikicker….”

Waldo Peirce

post-3356-1342620019.jpg

aerialbridge

Both were remarkable presences in a room, regaling others with ribald tales, great stories, and vivid word pictures. Their six-foot frames and beards were as impressive as their artistic talents. (Peirce was occasionally referred to as the “Hemingway of American painting,” but said once that made as much sense as “calling Hemingway ‘the Peirce of American literature.’”) Both men shared a formidable gusto for life and adventure—each married four times—and possessed an unending, consuming curiosity about the world around them. Fishing was their passion, and several times Peirce joined Hemingway in the Dry Tortugas and the Marquesas Keys.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2002/01/waldo-peirce.html

Great stuff. Hemingway's brother by a different mother. Your Peirce militaria collection is superlative, considering the lifetime achievement's of the man who led a life that most contemporary generals couldn't rival. Your Peirce items are multifaceted collectibles that would appeal militarily, artistically and journalistically to different areas of interest. How many generals hung out with Hemingway and could paint at the level of Peirce? Ike was not a bad painter, but even he didn't run with the bulls and fish with Hemingway. Do you have many of Peirce's paintings?

Croix de Guerre
Both were remarkable presences in a room, regaling others with ribald tales, great stories, and vivid word pictures. Their six-foot frames and beards were as impressive as their artistic talents. (Peirce was occasionally referred to as the “Hemingway of American painting,” but said once that made as much sense as “calling Hemingway ‘the Peirce of American literature.’”) Both men shared a formidable gusto for life and adventure—each married four times—and possessed an unending, consuming curiosity about the world around them. Fishing was their passion, and several times Peirce joined Hemingway in the Dry Tortugas and the Marquesas Keys.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2002/01/waldo-peirce.html

Great stuff. Hemingway's brother by a different mother. Your Peirce militaria collection is superlative, considering the lifetime achievement's of the man who led a life that most contemporary generals couldn't rival. Your Peirce items are multifaceted collectibles that would appeal militarily, artistically and journalistically to different areas of interest. How many generals hung out with Hemingway and could paint at the level of Peirce? Ike was not a bad painter, but even he didn't run with the bulls and fish with Hemingway. Do you have many of Peirce's paintings?

Thank you for your kind words. I feel the same; this group spans the gap from simply being a militaria collectible and crosses into art and literature history. I am planning on a book about Waldo's early life up until the 1920's in Paris. I just have to finish the one I am working on now,,,,but work and my 2 and three year old children take priority so it will be a slow process. Thanks again,

Tom

aerialbridge

Tom, Great picture of Peirce and his wife and daughter. I was curious given her name if he married her in Europe. As you undoubtedly already know, she was New York born to an artistic family, and his 3rd wife, 24 years his junior that he married in 1930--I'm typing this for anyone else interested in reading what I've just found about her, presumably not redundant to anything in the earlier pages of your OT, apologies if it is. He ultimately divorced her after bearing twin sons, and lived to the ripe old age of 102, dying in June 2010. She was quite an amazing woman in her own right from the wiki entry on her--paternal grandfather a prominent NYC developer and businessman, mother a suffragete, she herself an acclaimed artist and activist-- taught art to sailors on leave-- among them Gahan Wilson, and organizer for the UMW, among other things. Seems like at least when he married her, Peirce was attracted to strong women, in addition to, IMO, attractive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzira_Peirce

When you publish that book, I'd like to buy a copy. And after that, you should work on a screenplay-- there's 30 minutes of edited enjoyable biopic just on his 3rd wife! Aside- I was fortunate to acquire an early navy campaign medal issued to an officer who is also an interesting cross-over historical figure. Graduated valedictorian at USNA, after 16 years active, resigned to become a "capitalist" back when capitalists actually made something tangible with money, other than profits from Rube Goldberg investment bubbles, then a few years later went on active duty again, earned his sole campaign medal, then back to his civilian life of being a major developer and society figure in early Los Angeles. His wife came from an interesting pioneer California family as well. I'm still doing research, but will post something about him later. I was glad to earn the position of caretaker for this particular medal, since I live in Southern California, and this individual is significant to Los Angeles' early development, including the Port of Los Angeles. His wife, was also a strong individual with notable accomplishments of her own. Unfortunately, that couple had no children and she died in the 50's.

In your case, Peirce left children. The little girl in the picture you posted from 1940 and the twin sons he had with Alzira are perhaps still living and assisting you with research for your biography?

Croix de Guerre
Tom, Great picture of Peirce and his wife and daughter. I was curious given her name if he married her in Europe. As you undoubtedly already know, she was New York born to an artistic family, and his 3rd wife, 24 years his junior that he married in 1930--I'm typing this for anyone else interested in reading what I've just found about her, presumably not redundant to anything in the earlier pages of your OT, apologies if it is. He ultimately divorced her after bearing twin sons, and lived to the ripe old age of 102, dying in June 2010. She was quite an amazing woman in her own right from the wiki entry on her--paternal grandfather a prominent NYC developer and businessman, mother a suffragete, she herself an acclaimed artist and activist-- taught art to sailors on leave-- among them Gahan Wilson, and organizer for the UMW, among other things. Seems like at least when he married her, Peirce was attracted to strong women, in addition to, IMO, attractive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzira_Peirce

When you publish that book, I'd like to buy a copy. And after that, you should work on a screenplay-- there's 30 minutes of edited enjoyable biopic just on his 3rd wife! Aside- I was fortunate to acquire an early navy campaign medal issued to an officer who is also an interesting cross-over historical figure. Graduated valedictorian at USNA, after 16 years active, resigned to become a "capitalist" back when capitalists actually made something tangible with money, other than profits from Rube Goldberg investment bubbles, then a few years later went on active duty again, earned his sole campaign medal, then back to his civilian life of being a major developer and society figure in early Los Angeles. His wife came from an interesting pioneer California family as well. I'm still doing research, but will post something about him later. I was glad to earn the position of caretaker for this particular medal, since I live in Southern California, and this individual is significant to Los Angeles' early development, including the Port of Los Angeles. His wife, was also a strong individual with notable accomplishments of her own. Unfortunately, that couple had no children and she died in the 50's.

In your case, Peirce left children. The little girl in the picture you posted from 1940 and the twin sons he had with Alzira are perhaps still living and assisting you with research for your biography?

Thank you taking the time to post and for sharing your interest of WP! As far as his children, I have been fortunate to have communicated with one of the twins and he has been very kind and generous with information about his father. I have also contacted a few other members of the family and they like wise have been very supportive and tolerant of my inquiries. As far as Anna Gabby, the little girl in the photo, sadly she has passed away. I plan to focus my book on Waldo's early years up and into the early 20's just after the war as that is the extent of the material I have. Obviously the primary content will be Waldo’s time as an ambulance driver and the men he served with.

Thank you again for your comments, I welcome more if you or any one else would care to share.

Sincerely,

Tom

aerialbridge

Tom, I read through every post and comment, including the many snippets you've shared with us of his writings. Peirce was a monumental man not just in his physical stature. Apart from his valor as an ambulance driver, that conjures up A Farewell to Arms and his war-time portraits that come alive as much as anything on canvas could, he could also have been a great published writer. His letters and verse really convey the horror and tragedies that he saw first hand. Get on that book and get it written because they can't make the movie until you write the book!

• 2 months later...
Croix de Guerre

November 13, 1915

A bad number and a grim day for 168. (His ambulance) At daybreak one blesse, one malade to Moosch. Brakes loose as an empty soap bubble. Endless convoy of mules appeared at bottom of hill. Tail-enders received me sideways or full breech-couldn't stop-didn't think to put on reverse, so did some old fashioned line plunging. Heard cases crack, men swear, mules neigh, but heard no brake take hold. Tried to stop by dragging it against the bank, which was so straight the car rubbed along like an old elephant scratching it's cutlets, and padlocks, keys,tools, and sideboxes were removed like flies.

Waldo Pierce diary

post-3356-1349141877.jpeg

I love the way he is becoming Frenchyfied using French words in his conversation.

The elephant metaphor is excellent.

Reminds me of English class.

• 2 months later...
Croix de Guerre

As it is getting close to Christmas, I wanted to resurrect this thread to pay honor to Richard Hall, the first American Field Service ambulance driver to be killed in combat, Richard was killed in the early morning hours of December 24-25, 1915. Mort Pour la France. Photos of Richard Hall's funeral in the little village of Moosch can be found in the first pages of this thread. For more information about the battles mentioned in this post please check out this wonderful article written by "Pierre Grand Guerre". http://pierreswesternfront.punt.nl/content/2012/02/hartmannswillerkopf--vieil-armand. You can "google" Richard Hall or click on this link for more information. http://net.lib.byu.edu/estu/wwi/memoir/afshist/mem1.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Very, Very Interesting.What a interesting and talented man.Thank you so much for sharing his military and family history and art work.Anyway we can see his medals mounted in the case?

This is an original painting by Peirce that came out of the house in Maine at the same time as his uniform group. The painting measures 23 inches by 17.5 inches high. The closeup of the grave reads Hic Jacet (Here lies) W.P. I believe this was painted in the 1960's. Dave

post-6147-0-08673800-1358699016_thumb.jpg

post-6147-0-02764900-1358699104_thumb.jpg