15 replies to this topic

#1 all-bull

all-bull
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,063
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:49 AM

Hello everyone,
I don't know a whole lot about knives, but an old friend brought this to me yesterday. He is in very poor health and his wife is dying and he needs money. He brought this to me and I think he thinks its worth a lot more than it is. But I want to help him and give him something for it. Can anyone tell me what a good price would be to give this gentleman? I would like to be more than fair to him. I know the condition isn't there in the knife, but I am hoping the maker might be something unusual. Any help would be really great! Thank you so much!

Attached Images

• knives_001.JPG

#2 all-bull

all-bull
  • Members
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:49 AM

2/3

Attached Images

• knives_002.JPG

#3 all-bull

all-bull
  • Members
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:50 AM

3/3

Attached Images

• knives_003.JPG

#4 Simon Lerenfort

Simon Lerenfort
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,177
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:06 AM

Hello everyone,
I don't know a whole lot about knives, but an old friend brought this to me yesterday. He is in very poor health and his wife is dying and he needs money. He brought this to me and I think he thinks its worth a lot more than it is. But I want to help him and give him something for it. Can anyone tell me what a good price would be to give this gentleman? I would like to be more than fair to him. I know the condition isn't there in the knife, but I am hoping the maker might be something unusual. Any help would be really great! Thank you so much!

Has he given you any indication as to what he thinks it's worth? Edged weapons have held their value well this side of the pond.

#5 River Rat 1

River Rat 1
  • Members
    • Member ID: 14,208
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:02 AM

USN Knifes in great shape sell for 70-100 at the military shows that one not in the greatest shape rust the blade looks like it was ground down from sharpening the original scabbard a plus just take a little off the price for the damage to the blade for what you want to pay.I am no expert there are members that are better pricing stuff than me.I own two I got a mint one with the wrong scabbard for 45.00 and paid the going I think 90.00 for another mint blade with original scabboard.

Edited by River Rat 1, 16 September 2010 - 05:06 AM.

#6 elbertson

elbertson
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,898
  • 695 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:46 AM

Geneva Forge had fairly low production numbers of the Mk1, making them a little bit harder to find. It's sad that it was allowed to deteriorate to that state...in better condition it would probably bring 2-3X what it might get as it is. I couldn't put a price on it no matter the condition as I'm of the school that an item is worth whatever someone is willing to give for it, and that depends on a lot of factors that change constantly.

#7 cherokee tj

cherokee tj
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,645
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:30 PM

It's not worth much in that condition but it depends on how big a heart you have to help this fellow in his time of need.

#8 Simon Lerenfort

Simon Lerenfort
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:04 AM

It's not worth much in that condition but it depends on how big a heart you have to help this fellow in his time of need.

I'd ask him what he thinks it is worth. It's probably worth 50-70 Sterling if it was in the UK. If you got a minty one for $45 then you are very lucky. If I were offered such an item by "an old friend" I would want to do the right thing by him. You owe him that much.

#9 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 21,225 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:15 AM

There was one with no sheath but in better condition that recently sold on ebay for under $20. I would not pay more than $20 for that one normally, but to help out a friend I'd pay $40 and let him know that you are paying more than it's worth (so he doesn't think you're taking advantage of him). I imagine one of those in great condition would top $100, but this one is pretty sad.

#10 gunbarrel

gunbarrel
  • Members
    • Member ID: 70
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:52 AM

I'd ask him what he thinks it is worth. It's probably worth 50-70 Sterling if it was in the UK.

50-70 Sterling! My Word! :pinch: Like Bob says, IF you could find a collector over here that would want to buy it in this condition, the seller would be lucky to get $20 for it. If I had a friend in need like that, I'd tell him to keep the knife and give him $100 to help him out.

#11 Simon Lerenfort

Simon Lerenfort
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:00 AM

US Militaria still sells well over here. Of course it all depends on what you collect and how fussy you may or not be about condition. But on price I'd say $20 for this item is far less than fair, and as said earlier I'd want to do right by the guy. He's held onto that blade for many years and then he offers it to you...

Do the right thing. ;)

#12 bayonetman

bayonetman

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 66
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:05 AM

As far as "value" goes, the knife would probably not bring too much in the US due to the condition. I watch military knives sell on eBay from time to time, and sometimes sell a few, and I can say that condition is extremely important unless the knife is very uncommon.

This is a Geneva Forge that I sold a year ago and it brought $42.75 on eBay.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/bayonetman/Knives/USN%20Mark%201/Genforge.jpg

#13 all-bull

all-bull
  • Members
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:39 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the help you have given me!! I gave my friend $60 (it's between the $20 and $100 you guys have told me), with a promise that I would give him $50 to meet a friend of his who has some WWI items that they might want to sell. Thank you once again for everybody's help!

If any of you guys want this for $60, let me know!! haha!

Edited by all-bull, 17 September 2010 - 03:40 PM.

#14 gunbarrel

gunbarrel
  • Members
    • Member ID: 70
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:47 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the help you have given me!! I gave my friend $60 (it's between the $20 and $100 you guys have told me), with a promise that I would give him $50 to meet a friend of his who has some WWI items that they might want to sell. Thank you once again for everybody's help!

If any of you guys want this for $60, let me know!! haha!

You are All-Right! :thumbsup: You need to change your alias. ;)

#15 Sigfest

Sigfest
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 5,549
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

That knife has an unusual pommel. Were any others like that? I think it was made right down the road from me in Geneva, Ohio. Maybe affiliated with what was eventually True Temper.

#16 elbertson

elbertson
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,898
  • 695 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:43 AM

That knife has an unusual pommel. Were any others like that? I think it was made right down the road from me in Geneva, Ohio. Maybe affiliated with what was eventually True Temper.

I believe that the most common pommel for the Geneva Mk1s were the aluminum ones of that style, although I know they also made some wood ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)