US Army Message Center Clock

River Rat 1

here is my US Army Message Center Clock made by Chelsea.The US Army used these from WW2 to the Vietnam War it was used out in the field to mark the time when a message was received this one also has it's Box for easy pack up when the camp moved to protect the clock.There is also another hour hand for two time zones the clock will run for eight days after winding it.

006-3.jpg

I like it too. Apparently all branches of the service bought similar clocks from Chelsea. I've seen Army Signal Corps, USMC, Navy and US Maritime Commission versions. Some have white or gold faces and some have 24 hour movements/faces.

River Rat, you've got some neat timepieces. Any more clocks?

Thanks,

Kevin Williams

I like it too. Apparently all branches of the service bought similar clocks from Chelsea. I've seen Army Signal Corps, USMC, Navy and US Maritime Commission versions. Some have white or gold faces and some have 24 hour movements/faces.

River Rat, you've got some neat timepieces. Any more clocks?

Thanks,

Kevin Williams

Here is another thread I did it's on Naval chronometers a kind of high grade clock the navy used for Navigation.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=86786

I own four other military clocks two of them are Chelsea and two Seth Thomas (1) 24 hrs dial Chelsea no military marks but in latter years they did stop putting that on the dial (1) Maritime Commission Chelsea these were used by the merchant marine most likely on liberty ships the two Seth Thomas that are Navy issue from WW2 (1) Mark I deck clock the other a Boat Clock that a little smaller than the other three.Now since they made a lot of ones for the Navy and Maritime Commission you can get fair price on those.But the others with USMC,Army Signal Corps,US Air Force,US Army Message Center on the dial the price goes up on those.There are ones that are rare military there is one for the US Army Air Force that was used when working with the English in WW2 called a sector clock made by chelsea and Seth Thomas that had a brightly colored dial with lots of colors to hard to explain how it works but I bet some of you know.Then any with US Light house Service on them those two are the most high price ones out there

Here is my last one I got a Seth Thomas MK I made for the US Navy cir.1943

P8163545.jpg

If you look at the dial it looks like some one tried to get rid of the military marks on the dial so I think some yard bird stole it when a ship was in the yards for repair a yard bird a civilian ship yard worker they were known to have sticky finger's that's why most ships removed the clocks during a yard period.

PA112227.jpg

Here is my Maritime commission Chelsea Clock

PA112223.jpg

My Chelsea 24 hrs clock.

003-4.jpg

004-5.jpg

Seth Thomas Boat Clock cir.1941 you can see on the two Seth Thomas you have to open it up to change the time and wind it.

Here are a few photo's from the WW2 Submarine the USS Bowfin the Submarine is next to the USS Missouri in Hawaii had to take some photo's of the clocks inside the sub.

P4203244.jpg

P4203239.jpg

P4203243.jpg

P4203241.jpg

They did not have a lot of room inside the sub what I call tight quarters I can see why the crew had to hot rack two crew members used the same rack that's your bed on a Navy ship when ones working ones sleeping.