What are WW2 jeeps worth now?

jgawne

I ask as I had some frustration with a part on mine yesterday and swore I was goign to sell it. Then I cooled down. But my wife said- find out the range they are selling for - if the economy has dropped the value then you have a good reason not to. If they have spiked from all the movies then you may want to consider it.

1944MB in pretty good shape. older restoration, reenacting vehicle not a showroom display. Runs fine.

Unless you need the money don't part with it. I've regreted selling weapons in the past and still wish I had my 1963 Willys CJ5 I had as a kid.

My MVPA has a MB 44 for sale right now for $5k. There seems to be several lookers from what I read.

Steve

Is that in the magazine/on line or the forum site.I saw a 44 jeep there for $8500 from New York.

I saw a real decent jeep in Iola in August.Was a 1942 Ford(thats all I know)and it did have a Williys motor in it.Was nice an turn key drive off shape.New canvas top and seats etc.Guy wanted $9800 for it and it didnt sell.

Course then the auction prices at Iloa. :blink:

General Apathy

post-344-1283888304.jpg

I ask as I had some frustration with a part on mine yesterday and swore I was goign to sell it. Then I cooled down. But my wife said- find out the range they are selling for - if the economy has dropped the value then you have a good reason not to. If they have spiked from all the movies then you may want to consider it.

1944MB in pretty good shape. older restoration, reenacting vehicle not a showroom display. Runs fine.

Hi Jon, I would like to impart a couple of things into your topic, one is the commercial rebuilt Jeep seen in the photo above, it is one of the top restorations I have ever seen on a Jeep, about the only thing I disliked was the color of the canvas and web used on it, there are better manufacturers of Jeep canvas out there. The price can be seen in the following post.

The photo's were taken by a friend of mine that is the editor of the English MVT magazine, while he was visiting in June he took photographs and added them into the magazine from where I have taken copies to show so you can see I am not bull-crapping on the vehicle and the price.

Secondly, I think there is a comment added to your topic ' Don't sell it, you will regret it ' I have to say that I am probably right behind that statement, something's are just too memorable to part with, plus you will never buy another, while you have it enjoy it.

I had to sell all of the vehicles I had over the years but I just don't want to part with the very first Jeep I bought and travelled the most in through England and Europe. :thumbsup:

Not knowing that I would one day be living in Normandy I sold an extremely rare piece of German equipment that would have been a wonderful display piece now that I am here. Deep regrets. :crying:

ken

Steve

Is that in the magazine/on line or the forum site.I saw a 44 jeep there for $8500 from New York.

I saw a real decent jeep in Iola in August.Was a 1942 Ford(thats all I know)and it did have a Williys motor in it.Was nice an turn key drive off shape.New canvas top and seats etc.Guy wanted $9800 for it and it didnt sell.

Course then the auction prices at Iloa. :blink:

No, not in the magazine, it is just a club notice. I emailed the guy on it last night to verify and it seems the owner had a change of heart and decided that he couldn't part with it after all. Maybe he sold his wife instead :w00t:

$5k? I wish. I see them up to $10-15K, but those in the $10k seem to sell.

The prices at Iola for those which sold seemed very high, but they are also turnkey and exhibit wonders. I prefer to look at those which are driven.

I attended a militaria show near Tulsa, OK a couple of years ago. There were 15-20 jeeps in various stages of attractiveness. Then, one collector showed up with his on a trailer. It looked showroom fresh. It was gently assisted off the trailer and chocked on all four tires. Professional signs on easels went up. Admirers were oohing and ahhing. There was an a PA announcement, and it looked like a fire drill. Everyone was scrambling to their jeeps, and they all formed a line and then drove back and forth over the rolling grounds of the pvt airport - except for Mr. Pretty Jeep. He was generally ignored after that. Those in the jeep parade looked to be laughing and having a good time.

No, not in the magazine, it is just a club notice. I emailed the guy on it last night to verify and it seems the owner had a change of heart and decided that he couldn't part with it after all. Maybe he sold his wife instead :w00t:

Makes sense to me.....

$5k? I wish. I see them up to $10-15K, but those in the $10k seem to sell.

The prices at Iola for those which sold seemed very high, but they are also turnkey and exhibit wonders. I prefer to look at those which are driven.

I attended a militaria show near Tulsa, OK a couple of years ago. There were 15-20 jeeps in various stages of attractiveness. Then, one collector showed up with his on a trailer. It looked showroom fresh. It was gently assisted off the trailer and chocked on all four tires. Professional signs on easels went up. Admirers were oohing and ahhing. There was an a PA announcement, and it looked like a fire drill. Everyone was scrambling to their jeeps, and they all formed a line and then drove back and forth over the rolling grounds of the pvt airport - except for Mr. Pretty Jeep. He was generally ignored after that. Those in the jeep parade looked to be laughing and having a good time.

THe prices were high and buyers premium to boot.Course lots of testosterone and cell phones(and deep pockets).Dont get me wrong there were some nice vehicles and rarer models.Was always great to see the collection lined up each year at the show which will never be seen again all together.

Mr.Pretty Jeep...thats classic :lol: I bet it was a real quonset queen

Before the crash, Jeeps normally sold around 15k for a well restored example. I've been watching the G-503 site and anyone selling in that prece range is in for a long wait. Unique or special Jeeps might still sell there or above, but the prices have really come down. Watch the G503 and you'll see what I mean. The other thing is that there is alot more info out there on what is correct and guys are very likley to beat you down on any little thing that is "wrong". I sold my Jeep over 10 years ago and never looked back. Had a bunch of different vehicles and want another, just haven't found the right one.

Tom Bowers

Sell it in the UK and double..maybe even triple... your money for a good, original runner!

Sabrejet

We sold ours to a collector in the UK in about 1995-1996 because he was willing to give premium for it, even though he had to ship it from Los Angeles to the UK!

Dave

I know that type. Good chance he had the speedo cable disconnected to keep the mileage counter on zero.

WWII Ford engine blocks in good, usable condition are scarce and expensive. They were not as strong as Willys blocks and cracked easily, and there were fewer made in the first place. To have an good original Ford engine in your GPW will certainly add to the value.

That said, any WW2 or post-WW2 (headvalve) jeep engine will work just fine on any WW2 jeep.

Greetz ;)

David

Thanks all. The thing is, I can take a pistol belt, throw it in a box, and 20 years it is still there and in reasonable shape. I leave my jeep in the garage for a year without doing all manner of things and it stops running, leaks, needs new gizmos, etc. I have previously sold a non finished M151, 42 ford, and a 3/4 ton (I bougt that for hauling my gear to displays, and when some other group got an award for "renting" a modern truck to bring theirs just got fed up). Plus it was too big to work on by one guy.

I gather the prices are all down due to the economy. I had been seeing them creep up to 15K, but no way I will sell for 5. It'll stay for now.

My other problem is that I have WW2 gremlins in my garage. Things move or vanish. I have a baden winch kit for it. I pulled it out to sell and the bag of bolts had gone west. I sort it out and start to photograph it and another small metal part disapears.

Just like i dismantled the interior of the jeep for refinishing and painting last year. WHen I open the garage up in the Spring- I find the special container put aside with all the little bolts and nuts is gone. Just gone. Gremlins. I know it.

Anything I sell I regret. I can still close my eyes and see things like an Austrian helmet, or my USMC pistol belt I used to own in my hands. But in the end when it comes to no money and no space something has to give. I've decided it is probably better to get rid off things to keep focused on the US Army, and bring the collection from the previous stopping point up to 2010. I still have visions that one day I will be able to give a major part of it to a worthy museum system (NOT New Orleans!), but more likely it'll have to be sold to help my wife. And that being said I think I need to go into the basement of doom and pour through some boxes to see what is excess.

The '42 Ford GPW illustrated below was up for sale at the recent War & Peace show here in the UK. I had a brief chat with its owner..as I recall, the asking price was around £11,500 / $17,816.

post-8022-1283966368.jpg

Sabrejet :w00t:

Johan Willaert

Original WW2 Jeeps are generally 30-40% more expensive in Europe than in the US...

Considering how many Jeeps were overhauled by the French using Hotchkiss parts, all original Jeeps are much rarer over here....

Then again, you can not really compare with the current rate as that only comes into play when you sell abroad...

JOhan

I get where you’re coming from, Jon. I love my Willys MB…. When it’s running, that is. I’m no mechanic and have sheepishly had to call people many times for what most Jeep owners is basic advice on normal issues. Other things (like a sticking oil float or clogged fuel line) have baffled many experienced grease monkeys.

I’m a worrier. Always have been. And a military vehicle really isn’t for a person like me. Every time something odd happens, I worry that it’s going to throw piston out through the hood, or that my brakes will fail and I’ll eat a tree at full gallop (not worried about getting hurt mind, you just damaging the Jeep). Stuff like that. I can’t say it’s very “fun” for me to drive because most often I’m constantly keeping an eye on the instruments and listening for the next thing to go wrong.

ww2reproductions

What ever you do DONT sell it!

My first wife :thumbdown: got the LVT4

The second wife :thumbdown: got the 2x M3 White scout cars.

Wife No3 will get NOTHING! :thumbsup:

Remember they have not made them for over 65 years.

Leo

General Apathy
I get where you’re coming from, Jon. I love my Willys MB…. When it’s running, that is. I’m no mechanic and have sheepishly had to call people many times for what most Jeep owners is basic advice on normal issues. Other things (like a sticking oil float or clogged fuel line) have baffled many experienced grease monkeys.

I’m a worrier. Always have been. And a military vehicle really isn’t for a person like me. Every time something odd happens, I worry that it’s going to throw piston out through the hood, or that my brakes will fail and I’ll eat a tree at full gallop (not worried about getting hurt mind, you just damaging the Jeep). Stuff like that. I can’t say it’s very “fun” for me to drive because most often I’m constantly keeping an eye on the instruments and listening for the next thing to go wrong.

And all the time that your out with the Jeep it's thinking, Jeez this drivers eye sight is failing he wears glasses, what was that thumping noise I heard in his brain, did I hear a heart murmur hope he's not going to throw a valve, he's getting on in age now. No doubt the medical fraternity have wondered what on earth all those mystery noises and twinges you have amount up to, better get some one over for a second opinion keep things running. :think:

Might pay to get oiled now and again :lol: :thumbsup:

ken

Actually, I live in fear of it breaking down and stranding me someplace (happened once- 1/2 mile from home)- loose cable). I also live in fear of hitting someone and hurting them. Imagine the steel bumper hitting someone...

Anyway, as the prices are down I'm keeping it and just got (yet more) bits to keep it running. Now if my carb float would not stick so much...

Jon,

i sold a GPW and a WLA to fund an M-20 armored car. I do regret sending them off to others, but i do not like using the family cash to fund the collection. I understand the position you are in. I also regret anything I have sold, but as my collecting interests change some things end up moving on to other homes. They are all in good hands I'm sure. If money were no object we would all have great collections. I do agree that it seems prices have stabilized or dropped somewhat recently, but the trend of appreciation will no doubt continue. Besides, if you sell it who will help to keep the parts suppliers in business? :lol:

Oz