• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kfields

kfields
  • Members
    • Member ID: 60
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:57 AM

I picked this up at the monthly flea market Saturday for a couple bucks. It is well marked and dated ( July 1951) and will go well sitting beside one of my flare guns.

Question: Are these safe to have sitting around on display in the house as long as you aren't "stupid" with them? Not sure if this one still has its contents but it looks like the primer was hit by the firing pin although the top is still on this one.

thanks!

Kim

Attached Images

• MVC_031S.JPG

Edited by kfields, 05 September 2010 - 02:59 AM.

#2 copdoc

copdoc
  • Members
    • Member ID: 498
  • 494 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:37 AM

I picked this up at the monthly flea market Saturday for a couple bucks. It is well marked and dated ( July 1951) and will go well sitting beside one of my flare guns.

Question: Are these safe to have sitting around on display in the house as long as you aren't "stupid" with them? Not sure if this one still has its contents but it looks like the primer was hit by the firing pin although the top is still on this one.

thanks!

Kim

Kim
That is not a flare. That is an air burst simulator and very dangerous. The fuse is percussion and difficult to inactive. You should call your local police especially if it has a primer strike. They are loaded with flash powder and have a pretty big charge.

#3 Linedoggie

Linedoggie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,030
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:38 AM

Quick tip if it says Flash it can take your hand off (Or Worse), turn it in.

#4 Linedoggie

Linedoggie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,030
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:43 AM

The Flash and Sound Signal M74 is designed for simulation of air burst of artillery fire in training troops. It is fired from the Hand Projector M9 or the Pyrotechnic Pistol AN-M8. The signal consists of an outer case, an expelling charge, and an inner cylindrical case containing the delay fuze and bursting charge. The outer case resembles those of the aircraft double-star type.
Dimensions
Length - 98.00 mm
Diameter - 40.00 mm
Hazardous Components :
Filler Black powder
Filler weight 81.65 g
Source: ORDATA Online (http://www.maic.jmu....sp?SearchMode=1) NAVEODTECHDIV, ATTN: Code 602, 2008 Stump Neck Road, Indian Head, MD, USA, 20640-507

#5 kfields

kfields
  • Members
    • Member ID: 60
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:23 AM

Thanks guys.
You never know what you're going to find at the flea market!

Without going into the details, I took the device out of the house and disposed of it.

Kim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users