WW2 English-made bullion letter wings - thin raised wings pattern

pfrost

This is a small family of English-made bullion wings on the blue combat patch. The first is a wing that I got a long time ago from the daughter of a B-24 gunner. Sometimes I see these attributed to glider pilots, but I suspect it was an early attempt at what English tailors thought would be what the gunner (or glider wing) looked like. In this case, it was worn by a gunner.

The bullion wing is separately added to the blue background.

post-1519-1283641566.jpg

This is a new find, the same basic wing but with an "R" instead of the "G". This is also on a blue combat background, just like the previous wing. Clearly made by the same hand in the same manner. This one seems to have a touch of padding/

I suspect this was also an attempt to make a "radio operator" wing.

I hope you enjoy.

post-1519-1283641721.jpg

This is a small family of English-made bullion wings on the blue combat patch. The first is a wing that I got a long time ago from the daughter of a B-24 gunner. Sometimes I see these attributed to glider pilots, but I suspect it was an early attempt at what English tailors thought would be what the gunner (or glider wing) looked like. In this case, it was worn by a gunner.

The bullion wing is separately added to the blue background.

A neat set of wings definately different from what is normal found. I like them.

:rolleyes:

A neat set of wings definately different from what is normal found. I like them.

:rolleyes:

Thanks,

They are very neat. Likely the same company that was trying to keep costs low (and maybe thought that the USAAF would have a similar strategy as the RAF for wing badges).

The bullion gunner wing was a kind gift from Ms. Carol Erbe who was one of the founders of the B-24 forum back in the late 90's. That was one of the first forums I joined and it was a real treat to participate with a number of B-24 pilots and veterans. Ms. Erbe knew I was starting to collect wings and gave me her father's old wings (Dutch Erbe) since she was just going to throw them away. This was my first bullion wing, first English-made wing, and first veteran attributable wing, and so has always had a high position in my collection.

Patrick

Very, very nice English-made bullion Gunner wings Patrick! Here's the same pattern bullion wing for U.S.A.A.F. Navigator. Unfortunately, they don't have a blue felt background. This Navigator example was purchased from the J. Duncan Campbell estate and is illustrated in the later issues of his book, "Aviation Badges & Insignia of the United States Army, 1913 - 1946"...(page 90, example 98A).

IMG_1538_crop.jpg

• 6 years later...
Patchcollector

Very, very nice English-made bullion Gunner wings Patrick! Here's the same pattern bullion wing for U.S.A.A.F. Navigator. Unfortunately, they don't have a blue felt background. This Navigator example was purchased from the J. Duncan Campbell estate and is illustrated in the later issues of his book, "Aviation Badges & Insignia of the United States Army, 1913 - 1946"...(page 90, example 98A).

I don't collect bullion Wings(yet :lol: ),but I can appreciate them,and that Navigator Wing is spectacular,the nicest example I've seen. :love:

Great Bullion Wings--- I like these a lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Blue Skies Mark

• 3 years later...

I am bringing this post up because today I picked up this neat photo showing these types of wings being worn.

It looks like that he is wearing Air Medal ribbon with 3 or 4 oak leave clusters and the EAME ribbon with one star.

He is also wearing the blue combat patch and a bullion wing with AG on it, like the ones posted above. He does seem to have that 1000-yard stare as well. I suspect he saw some serious combat.

I can not see if he is wearing an 8th AAF patch or just the USAAF patch on his shoulder. Not is it clear to me where the photo was taken, in England or the US. It is nice to see vintage proof that these wings were actually worn.

post-1519-0-79273200-1577505426_thumb.jpg

post-1519-0-42245500-1577505436.jpg

AAF_Collection

I am bringing this post up because today I picked up this neat photo showing these types of wings being worn.

It looks like that he is wearing Air Medal ribbon with 3 or 4 oak leave clusters and the EAME ribbon with one star.

He is also wearing the blue combat patch and a bullion wing with AG on it, like the ones posted above. He does seem to have that 1000-yard stare as well. I suspect he saw some serious combat.

I can not see if he is wearing an 8th AAF patch or just the USAAF patch on his shoulder. Not is it clear to me where the photo was taken, in England or the US. It is nice to see vintage proof that these wings were actually worn.

Nice picture.

Note the ribbon bar is also English made, and he has domed collar discs, these were a common in theatre trend, sometimes made using coins with one side polished smooth.

I'd suggest the picture was possibly taken in the U.S. judging by the lady's dress and hairstyle.

Matt.

Patrick, you knocked it out of the park buddy, never have I seen an individual wearing one of these non regulation wings, just awesome.