Wolf's Photo Files

Hawk914

I like the painting on that last plane, not the typical sharks teeth!

Great photos, I'll post some of my grandpa's nose art work soon.

Here's a couple B-32s from the 386th BS, 312th BG. The 386th was the only squadron to use the B-32 in combat... albeit for a limited time.

scan0003b-1.jpg

Click for larger image

Project 914 Archives

scan0004b.jpg

Click for larger image

Project 914 Archives

You can read a bit about the 386th Bombardment Squadron's operations with the B-32 HERE, along with a short but fairly detailed history on the development of the type.

Fade to Black...

Oh, what the hey... I'll throw these in as well...

XP-55 42-78846 is the sole survivor of the three airframes built. She is part of the National Air and Space Museum's vast collection of aircraft and is currently on loan to the Kalamazoo Air Zoo where she has been restored to pristine condition.

Here she is while still in storage at the NASM.

XP-55NASM001.jpg

XP-55NASM002.jpg

XP-55NASM003.jpg

Image sources: unknown web

And here she is, fully restored by the Kalamazoo Air Zoo...

XP-55Zoo001.jpg

'Armchair Aviator' photo

'Armchair Aviator' is a fella named Dave who I bumped into on Flickr. See more of Dave's photos HERE...

Fade to Black...

Here's another Curtiss experimental type, the XP-37...

XP-3737-375001b.jpg

Click for larger image

Project 914 Archives

Sometime in the future I'll post a few photos of YP-37s.

Fade to Black...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a 182nd TFS, Texas ANG F-51D circa the mid-50s...

P-51D45-11447182TFSmid50s001a.jpg

Cliff Bossie via Project 914 Archives

Fade to Black...

And this is a super-groovy shot of 3rd BG A-20s tearing up an airfield in the Raleigh, NC area during wargames in 1941. They're followed closely by USN F4F Wildcats.

In the background are A-24 Banshees, also most likely of the 3rd BG and some Navy SBC Helldivers. The aircraft in the foreground is a B-24A...

15168579-Ob.jpg

Click for larger image

USAAF (USAF) photo via Project 914 Archives

Fade to Black...

Charlie Flick

Steve: I am enjoying all of your photos. You have a wonderful collection. I may post a couple when I get the chance. Keep 'em coming. Charlie

Thanks Charlie, I'm glad you like and am looking forward to seeing whatever you have to share!

I posted this in another thread but wanted to add it here as well...

This photo dates from early 1938 and shows 2nd BG Y1B-17s overflying NYC shortly before their famous goodwill flight from Miami, Florida to Buenos Aires, Argentina and then back to their home field at Langley. The flight was made over the course of ten days; February 17th and 27th, 1938.

Y1B-17soverNYC001b.jpg

Click for larger image

Project 914 Archives

Fade to Black...

Charlie Flick
This B-26 seems to have caught a fish...

Hey Steve:

Neat pic. I seem to recall that at the Battle of Midway there was a contingent of USAAF B26s that were loaded with torpedoes and sent out to attack the Japanese fleet. Is my recollection correct on that? Is the torpedo mount in the pic the typical torpedo set up for the B26 or would the fish be contained inside the bomb bay? I doubt that many USAAF pilots were trained to drop torpedoes.

Charlie

My knowledge on torpedos is a bit rusty, are you sure that is a "fish" he is carrying?It looks to be two short which might help to explain your question charlie the bombay on the 26 might not beable to house the torpedo as torpedos tend to be quite long.

I seem to recall that at the Battle of Midway there was a contingent of USAAF B26s that were loaded with torpedoes and sent out to attack the Japanese fleet. Is my recollection correct on that?

Yessiree, your recollection is correct! Four Marauders were involved, two from the 22nd BG and two from the 38th BG. Check the following links for more info...

B-26 Marauders in the Battle of Midway

The Midway Marauders

THE CHARGE OF THE B-26 MIDWAY MARAUDERS

MIDWAY'S ATTACK ON THE ENEMY CARRIERS

War hero recalls defense of Midway

To answer your and Dustin's questions about the torpedo and mounts...

I'm not up on torpedoes either, and the fish in that photo does indeed look a bit short... but I do know that not all torpedoes were of the same length, with some being rather short. I also think that perhaps the fish in that photo may look shorter than it really is because of the perspective from which the shot was taken.

As to the mount... the setup shown in that photo was standard for early B-26s. I'm fairly sure that the B-26A through B-26C were the only variants so equipped, but not totally positive.

Here's a look at a three-ship of B-26Cs... although the image isn't too hot you can definitely see the shackles under the lead ship's belly and barely make them out on the other two.

B-26C41-34813a.jpg

Project 914 Archives

B-26s based in Alaska also carried torpedoes from time to time...

NA007827a.jpg

Image source: unknown web

The Brits also got in on the action as shown by these shots of a 14 Sqn Marauder. I do believe that, in this case, the mount is improvised.

FK375Da.jpg

FK375D2a.jpg

torpedo1.jpg

Image source: 14 Squadron Association - WWII Gallery

Fade to Black...

Forgot to add this one... this is Lt. Muri's crew. These were the fellas who made the low pass straight down the deck of the carrier Akagi. Lt. Muri is second from left in the front row...

f022850a.jpg

USAAF (USAF) photo

Fade to Black...

I'm a model builder and recently did a bit of research for a project which I hope to start in the near future; depends upon whether or not I can find the kit I need.

Anyhoo, the subject is going to be a B-25H from the 1st ACG and right now the leading candidate for the specific aircraft is RT Smith's 'Barbie III'. Here's a few images I rounded up...

B-25H1ACG001a.jpg

B-25H1ACG002a.jpg

BarbieIII001a.jpg

USAAF (USAF) photo

BarbieIII003a.jpg

RT Smith photo

BarbieIII002b.jpg

RT Smith photo (from Pacific War Eagles in Original Color by Jeff Ethell & Warren Bodie)

Fade to Black...

Night-time is the right time, and nightfighters are where it's at... I love this monster!

YP-61 #2, serial# 41-18877

YP-6141-18877001.jpg

Project 914 Archives

Serial# 42-5507 was the 22nd of 45 P-61A-1s built, and one of only 37 P-61As to leave the factory with the gun turret.

ODWidow001c.jpg

Click for larger image

USAAF (USAF) photo via Project 914 Archives

I dunno if this really happened or not, but I'd like to think it did... two RAF officers were looking over one of the first P-61s to arrive in the ETO and, marveling over the size of the aircraft, one of them looked at the other and said, "Only the Yanks could build a fighter this bloody big..."

Fade to Black...

Charlie Flick

Steve:

Thanks for the excellent update links on the B-26 Midway attack. What a phenomenal effort by those Army pilots. Your photo posts are most enjoyable. Thanks for the education

Dustin:

Thanks for the info on the aerial torpedoes. I wonder how many successful attacks were made by AAF aircraft with torpedoes? It must have been very few overall, and they must have mostly occurred in the early part of the war when there were plenty of target. The 5th AF later perfected the its low level bombing technique with the up-armed B-25 and had a lot of success.

Charlie Flick