WWII 1st Ranger Bn Group - POW captured at Cisterna

KASTAUFFER

The 1st Ranger Bn was almost completely decimated at the Battle of Cisterna near Anzio during WWII.

The website http://darbysrangers.tripod.com/ does a better job of explaing what happened to these brave men better than I can. The following is a direct quote:

"The six survivors related the whole story. On that morning January 30 on the fringe of Cisterna; the 1st, & 3rd, Rangers were within 800 yards of the town; when they stumbled into a bivouac area of an entire German Motorized Infantry Division; supported by elements of German, Polish and Italian Paratroopers; and elements of Herman Goering's Panzer divisions.

At about 800 yards from their objective; the Rangers caught the bivouac area still asleep; and the sleeping enemy paid a heavy toll as they were fallen upon by the Rangers.

But, as the Rangers approached within 400 yards of their main Cisterna Objective they were met with heavy resistance and what appeared to be a prepared ambush.

According to the Leavenworth Papers the German's had become aware of the Ranger movements early on; and had set up a warm reception in Cisterna itself; ambushing the lead Ranger elements according to a captured German Officer later on. (1)

Later intelligence analysis of the Ranger Radio Communications indicated a broad range of radio etiquette violations that could have compromised portions of the Cisterna operation.; detailing information that would benefit a determined defensive force.

Violations of Radio Security

The Rangers were driven to ground by the withering machine-gun fire coming from the Cisterna center and driven out into the open plain by the German Armored Division. But, it was soon clear that the Rangers were tossed into the fray far and above their offensive capabilities.

The two US Bn's had no anti-tank weapons and those not cut down initially dug-in using minimal cover and running out of ammunition quickly. But, the Rangers made the Germans pay a heavy toll in casualties.

Out of 767 men, only those 6 Rangers escaped and the others were either killed or captured after putting up a gallant fight that lasted for hours; last radio contact with the Rangers indicated the Rangers were being over-run and were destroying their radio equipment. The two Battalions were numbered among the lost. Their fate; unknown. And their radios silenced forever. "

The following group is from one of the survivors who was captured by the Germans after he was badly wounded on January 30th 1944. The German surgeons at the hospital he was sent removed his foot below his knee. He recovered in the hospital and was transferred to Stalag 17B . Based on the severity of his wounds, he became eligible to be repatriated back to the USA in Sept 1944 on a Swedish Red Cross ship named the Gripsholm. While in England on his way home, he was presented with the Purple Heart .

He stayed in hospitals in the USA until he was discharged.

The 2nd Ranger Bn is often remembered for what they did during D-Day. Lets not forget the 1st Ranger Bn and the sacrifice they made.

MVC_005L.JPG

MVC_001L.JPG

Tucker's Unofficially hand engraved Purple Heart . I actually like the fact this one is not officially engraved. It has more character.

MVC_003L.JPG

US Dogtag and a German POW dogtag issued to him at Stalag 17B .

MVC_004L.JPG

Here is a copy of the General Order awarding him the Purple Heart while in England on the way back to the USA on the Gripsholm.

MVC_015L.JPG

MVC_016L.JPG

Kurt, you always amaze me with both your finds and the research you conduct. Congratulations on another superb addition to your collection!

David

• 3 months later...

Very cool piece of history here. Colonel Darby was from Ft Smith, just down the interstate from me. I've been to his boyhood home several times. Great group of guys.

Truly great piece of history from the Rangers of old. Thank You Kurt for sharing this great grouping and dedicating it to Darby's Rangers.

Rangers Lead The Way :salute:

Ranger Schuler

That is truely an Excellent Grouping you have got there belonging to the 1st Rangers Bn

that is no dout one of a kind and Extremely RARE and thats for sure great to have in any collection :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very Nice and thanks for sharing it i like it.

• 6 years later...

There's some unusual coincidence with this getting bumped back up just now...because Kurt just got this group back in his collection! :)

As a matter of interest, I am the temporary curator of the entire uniform belonging to M/Sgt. Howard V. Kuhl, 3rd Ranger Battalion, one of the six Rangers to make it out of Cisterna. At the end of the war, he played a significant roll is piecing together the history of Darby's Rangers. Jack