• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hwoodyone

hwoodyone
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 4,956
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:17 AM

Hi! I have an nice old rifle with dried caked cosmoline everywhere in the action. Does anyone know a good way to remove? Thanks

#2 101CH47

101CH47
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,964
  • 858 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:01 AM

Soak it in mineral spirits or apply the mineral spirits with a brush.

#3 mrhell

mrhell
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,414
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:28 AM

Boiling water. :blink:

Remove from stock, bring a large pot of water to a boil then slowly and carefully pour the water over greased areas while holding the rifle by the muzzle. Repeat as necessary. I usually do this outside of course. Also make sure to wear gloves and of course shoes! (ask me how I know). :w00t:

The problem grease will melt away from even those tight nooks and crannies and the medal will become very hot which in turn will evaporate all of the water. Of course make sure to re-oil/grease the weapon when done. This method may sound weird to some, but rest assured works like a charm. :thumbsup:

#4 A2vento88

A2vento88
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,996
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:44 PM

Remove from stock, bring a large pot of water to a boil then slowly and carefully pour the water over greased areas while holding the rifle by the muzzle. Repeat as necessary. I usually do this outside of course. Also make sure to wear gloves and of course shoes! (ask me how I know). :w00t:

The problem grease will melt away from even those tight nooks and crannies and the medal will become very hot which in turn will evaporate all of the water. Of course make sure to re-oil/grease the weapon when done. This method may sound weird to some, but rest assured works like a charm. :thumbsup:

Yes boiling water is the best way. Less toxic and it truly works the best.

#5 MAEMT86

MAEMT86
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,272
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:58 PM

Neva thought of that. My personal experience with the stuff: picked up 2 Mosin Nagant rifles which had cosomoline everywhere!, read on another forum local to the northeastern US about cosmoline removal and actually built a small oven out of a galvanized aluminum trashcan and two 150 watt flood lights, not only does it melt the cosmoline out of the action and any other metal parts of the gun, but it boils out of the wood, and lemme tell ya both guns looked fantastic. And not having cosmoline boil onto you hands while shooting is always a plus.

#6 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,549
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:35 PM

This method may sound weird to some, but rest assured works like a charm. :thumbsup:

Used to clean the machine guns this way as well, put them in the shower and turn the water on hot. It will take everything off, carbon and all. You just have to liberally oil the gun because it really dries the metal out and then anything, to include looking at it wrong will make it rust. I woldn't suggest putting cosmoline in the shower, will clog your drain right up.

#7 Dirteater101

Dirteater101
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,381
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:52 AM

What I do for my customers when they bring me (or I get from the cmp) that are packed with uncle sams "miracle preservative" you have 2 options:

1, heat. place near a heat source, wipe often. You will go through a lot of wipe rags......

2, know anybody with a "maricem" (non toxic solvent) parts washer? The solvent is essentially the over the counter "fantastic/ formula 409" cleaning solvent, heated to around 160 degrees. This has proven to be the best and quickest method. 2 hours at the most and you will be done. This can be done without the parts washer by diluting the detergent (fantastic..) on a 3 to 1 part detergent/ water and a cap full of bleach to the gallon. Put in long tray (wallpaper tray?) submerge stock, leave sit for 15-20 minutes in the hot solution, scrub piece with soft (ish) brush. Strain solution (will pick up a lot of "crud". Reheat (as long as it is warm) repeat till satisfied with results. Do not forget the inside of the barrel!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users