What Years Were The Different Styles Of Fatigue Shirt Name Tape Used?

AirMechanic

A couple or more unique tape there, the U.S. ARMY ones, one of a kinds, or very rare with not many being produced.

To wit, second and fourth U.S. ARMY tapes

post-6975-0-28291600-1549152259.jpeg

And the very bottom subdued one, stamped on some kind of thin sealed web it look like, and quite small, even smaller than the GI nylon woven ones deisplyed right above it, wonder if there was a matching NAME tape along with it.

post-6975-0-94868400-1549152908.jpeg

Think the 4th down yellow on black US ARMY is RVN made. Have another one that I’ll try and get pic of thats framed with RVN made patches, rank ECT. Small stamped one is from nomex jacket, IIRC there were same material and style name tapes. Im down to one set , so have to look but dont think there are any tapes on jacket. These used to be at just about any flea market late 70’s - 80’s, in $0.50 junk boxes at gun shows, no more.

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, patches said:

Looks like an OD Wool shirt,  and not the OG Wool type, no?

It's 100 percent a WWII Officer's quality wool mustard shirt. 

9 hours ago, patches said:

Looks like an OD Wool shirt,  and not the OG Wool type, no?

Starting in 1947 all officers and EMs wear the OD and Khaki shirt with shoulder loops, for EMs the wear of collar discs on them, the wear of the OD types fall off by the end of the Korean War, even before then the shirt worn at least for EMs under the IKE Jackets were either the Khaki cotton twill shirt or the new Tan poplin ones not the OD ones. I don't know if they were issued them or were required to wear anymore after a certain point in the 50s.

Now for the wear of the U.S. ARMY and NAME Tapes on a shirt like this is highly irregular, my est guess he did this as a substitute for the OG 108 Wool shirt, an item that was authorized to have all insignia sewn on it going back to the mid 50s.

Here's one of the OG 108s from the mid-sh  50s mid-sh 60s where someone removed the NAME Tape.

image.png.300e0179c4ce2b857a89bdd51f4b6514.png

• 4 months later...
On 10/14/2020 at 8:42 AM, allsoldier said:

Maybe someone could shed some light on this one? Artillery in Germany?

DSCN1455.JPG

Most probably. In the 50s you could get away with things. Special Forces began wearing green berets in Germany long before they were authorized. 

For Reference.

The Branch Colored NAME Tapes of the late Korean War late 1950s, an application that was popular and thus tactility approved Army Wide.

• 4 weeks later...
Amateur Vietnam Collector
On 9/2/2010 at 11:18 AM, snake36bravo said:

B229, I think I've got the progression right on these. I didn't include the many SEA or current theater produced examples in my collection from hand embroidered to machine embroidered types.

Includes current going back to first types.

post-2582-1283440682.jpg

Was it common to replace an old US Army tape with a newer one? The reason I ask is that I have a Type II utility shirt (1963 or 1964), but it has the tape corresponding to the fourth tape down, which I think would be later than 1963 or 1964.  

90574E55-713C-4F5C-8828-48F5257DECD5.png

FT.Monmouth1943

Without seeing the inside of the jacket where the tape is sewn on, I don’t really see how you can conclude that the branch tape was replaced. The tape that is on there is period correct and as I stated earlier, there is nothing wrong with the shirt.

As for your other question; yes, soldiers would occasionally replace tapes for new ones.

- Jakob

Amateur Vietnam Collector

Thank you, Jakob. I guess I’m confused about the term “tape”.  This suggests to me, a novice, that the branch/name tape had a sticky backing or something.  So you’re saying they were sewn on?

• 4 months later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I
On 3/24/2021 at 4:24 AM, Amateur Vietnam Collector said:

Thank you, Jakob. I guess I’m confused about the term “tape”.  This suggests to me, a novice, that the branch/name tape had a sticky backing or something.  So you’re saying they were sewn on?

Tape is often used as a shortening of  "adhesive tape" which is what you are thinking of but the original meaning of tape is just a narrow strip or band of something, often cloth. 

So no, name and branch tapes are not adhesive, and were always sewn on, baring the odd soldier who broke regulations and glued them on. 

• 1 month later...

I got a jungle fatigue and it has these tapes. I don’t know if they used these in Vietnam. This was a airborne jacket and maybe they used these. When did they started using them and when they stopped?

A2692D4B-D153-4031-A50D-88E1705590D2.jpeg

1 hour ago, Airbornewingz said:

I got a jungle fatigue and it has these tapes. I don’t know if they used these in Vietnam. This was a airborne jacket and maybe they used these. When did they started using them and when they stopped?

A2692D4B-D153-4031-A50D-88E1705590D2.jpeg

Yes these type of Issue Tapes were worn in Vietnam, they are called by most as the Nylon Woven Subdued U.S. ARMY Tape, and the Ribbed Nylon Stamped Tape, both coming out for the first time like in the early summer or so of 1968.

11 hours ago, patches said:

Yes these type of Issue Tapes were worn in Vietnam, they are called by most as the Nylon Woven Subdued U.S. ARMY Tape, and the Ribbed Nylon Stamped Tape, both coming out for the first time like in the early summer or so of 1968.

Ok thanks that helped!

On 9/12/2021 at 6:49 AM, Airbornewingz said:

Ok thanks that helped!

Here's  two examples of the Nylon Woven U.S. ARMY Tape being worn in country 1968-1972 (These were Posted by member beefheart in Uniforms). There are a lot of these tapes floationing around on Vietnam worn itms in varuios forums, as well as period photograhps.

Two different Tropical Coats of a Captain of the Medical Service Corps 101st Abn Div (Ambl)

ui.png

uy.png

9 hours ago, patches said:

Here's  two examples of the Nylon Woven U.S. ARMY Tape being worn in country 1968-1972 (These were Posted by member beefheart in Uniforms). There are a lot of these tapes floationing around on Vietnam worn itms in varuios forums, as well as period photograhps.

Two different Tropical Coats of a Captain of the Medical Service Corps 101st Abn Div (Ambl)

ui.png

uy.png

Thanks! The first one looks a lot like mine

6 hours ago, Airbornewingz said:

Thanks! The first one looks a lot like mine

Yes I posted the other one, the one that has the Embroidered on cloth tape by accident, but in any event this guy had at least two tropical coats, and on one of them he decides to use the very new issue one for whatever reason.

• 1 month later...

.....just for discussion sake. This is one of my old BDU shirts. Found the US Army tape in one of the surplus stores in Killeen circa 1981. Had it sewn on one the of shirts I was issued in late summer/early fall 1981. Wore it till I ETS'd in 1984. Saw time with the 1st Cav, CSC 2/7 and  Fox Trp 2/11 ACR. Nothing was ever said about it.

IMG_20211026_102639_kindlephoto-2756672.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, i have one kinda “weird” us army tape. 

But i think its not a theater made tape. 
Just another issued version of us army gold tape. 

CC9ACD89-0706-4E6D-93A8-8AAD1BAECD9B.png

On 11/23/2021 at 7:07 AM, beefheart said:

Hi, i have one kinda “weird” us army tape. 

But i think its not a theater made tape. 
Just another issued version of us army gold tape. 

CC9ACD89-0706-4E6D-93A8-8AAD1BAECD9B.png

I think it is a Theater Made one, South Vietnamese, note the irregular Non Block  Lettering one sees with the 50s 60s U.S. Made types. Makes Shirt worn there in 65-66.

tyui.png

6 minutes ago, patches said:

I think it is a Theater Made one, South Vietnamese, note the irregular Non Block  Lettering one sees with the 50s 60s U.S. Made types. Makes Shirt worn there in 65-66.

tyui.png

Hi @patches, thank you for the information. Just realized that the lettering it's very identical to early Vietnamese embroidered tape.

I also provide the better picture of the tape and also the shirt below if you have any comment.

It's 173rd abn (right), 101st abn (left)

IMG_0055.jpg

PhotoRoom_20211120_11709 PM-compressed.jpg