Non PC variations

JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII

I came across this on the internet while looking up Military Air Transport Service insignia. I seem to recall quite a few patches and insignia where something was changed or intentionally altered to not be PC or regulation. This one was new to me. It was stated to have been made in Australia in 1944. Are these type of patches actually worn or were they just morale type of insignia? Robert

http://home.brisnet.org.au/~dunn/usaaf/usatc.htm

There are many variations of the patch on the left and they were worn; it was quite a popular design and some are much more, shall we say, anatomically correct?

Hi, there editor. Your work has been very good. Hopefully, we can get some pictures into the newsletter portion and we will be moving toward growth again.

Here are a couple of pictures of Pin-up patches that I have. Mostly, perhaps all, are Army Aviation Pocket Patches. Nice and I do have many more too. A couple of these were made by a company that I talk about on my website. Went out of business and I miss the fine people and their great work each day.

post-2310-1282607309.jpg

post-2310-1282607399.jpg

post-2310-1282607475.jpg

snake36bravo

The ole bone through the nose on a Witchdoctor pocket patch from the 174th Assault Helicopter Company. Must be something in the water Aviation units drink. :thumbsup:

post-2582-1282884815.jpg

And a couple more nice Navy patches. Now, guys, there were 2 dustoff patches shown just above this that I do not have. Also, that Silver Spurs Cav patch, Anyone have some to trade? Would love to hear from you. TEXCEN (Emil)

also: www.texcentrader.com

post-2310-1283469088.jpg

post-2310-1283469557.jpg

Here's an old navy squadron one for you. This is the patch for VAH-5, known as the savage sons of sanford, and the savage sons of ubangi. They flew the Douglas A-3 Skywarrior in the late 50's, early 60's. In 1962 I believe they changed their insignia to a profile of an Indian warrior in headress. The story I've heard is that the squadron was deployed aboard a carrier that was hosting some African VIP's, and the squadron changed the insignia to avoid any hurt feelings. If anyone knows more, please feel free to add to the story.

Mike

post-3212-1283641976.jpg

I love the official & friday sets. They make a nice side by side collection. One thing is for sure, these guys have a great sense of humor.

The sad thing to me is that somewhere from artwork to production a lot of these go from great to ok. Like the dustoff one "the louder you scream....." that coould have been an awesome one, if the digitizer just tried to tweak the facial image a little bit more.............. just a pet peeve of mine as a designer. And don't get me started on that version of TF Rochambeau......... still don't know what that is *LOL*

I think it's supposed to be the Cav hat, but on this version it looks more like the goof face hat you get at Disney............ not a look I associate with a naked woman riding a rocket *LOL*

Andrew

Another. Robert

Robert,

The motto on your patch is one of two I recall from my old SAC days. The other is: "SAC-Where you can't make the same mistake once."

Patch Johnson

Concerning German laws this Shorttimer badge falls into the same category (although it was produced and sold here :lol: ). Um, well, a pirate skull did NOT serve as a model for this particular death's head, if you know what I mean.

Shorttimer.jpg

That short timer badge is certainly an oddball......... is the TK actually part of the whole badge or is it added on to the base ? Anyway, certainly not PC by any stretch of the imagination !!!!!

Oh, and I love the Afghan TLE patch !!!!!!!!!

Concerning German laws this Shorttimer badge falls into the same category (although it was produced and sold here :lol: ). Um, well, a pirate skull did NOT serve as a model for this particular death's head, if you know what I mean.

Here's another that skirts the German laws. USAF Europe Tac Eval. These guys would check out aircrew readiness and safety throughout the command as an inspection team. Obviously, some thought they had a reputation equal to that of this former German organization! Anyone who's ever been on a base that failed one of these knows how brutal life will become til the re-eval is passed. The kicker is this is German made, early to mid 60s. I'm sure it was banned soon after, as I've never seen another.

Randy

post-8832-1284138588.jpg

Well, I held off on this one, but what the heck. 35 FS from Kunsan, Korea, TDY to Alaska. Hard to see, the the red says "Eielson AFB". This one caused a bit of controversy, to say the least!

Randy

post-8832-1284261448.jpg

What unit is this patch from or is it generic?

FIG-MO = *uck it got my orders

Mark

Mark, I don't know what unit or era but it looks pretty old. It's embroidered on wool. Here's the back. Jon.

post-7885-1284359956.jpg

Thought I would add a few from my collection, enjoy...

'Little Annie Fanny' on the 117th AHC Patch, This was from a cartoon strip that ran in Play Boy during the 60sand 70s.

The 175th AHC 'Outlaws' where in Vietnam as A Co 502nd AVN Regt and later assign to Germany, finally becoming a Texas Army National Guard unit and then being reflagged as B Co 1-158th AVN REGT.

C Co 1-147th Combat Aviation Brigade (CAB) is a Command and Control Aviation Company responsible for flying the Commander and the Command Staff over the battlefield to direct the subordinate elements.

More to follow soon...

post-14882-1284909694.jpg

post-14882-1284910272.jpg

post-14882-1284910735.jpg

Here's a common theme across some Army Aviation units. This one's not too hard to figure out. The pin-up girl riding a Hell-Fire Missile.

Represented here are: C Co 1-149th AVN REGT, A Co 1-158th AVN REGT, A Co 1-227th AVN REGT (Task Force Rochambeau), F Co 2/3-159th AVN REGT (TF Eagle), and A Troop 3-17th CAV. The three lower left patches are a sample of around nine variations from A Co 1-277th AVN REGT commemorative patch for its deployment in OIF.

post-14882-1284929714.jpg

Here are some various Attack and Air CAV units:

C Co 3-101st AVN, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) Notice that the letters at the bottom "WWBRD" stand for "What Would Bert Reynolds Do?", D Co 1-227th 1st CAV Division, C Co 1-227th 1st Cav Division, A Co 4-227th Attack Reconnaissance Battalion (ARB) 1st Cav Division, C Troop 2-6th CAV, and S Troop 4-3rd CAV.

post-14882-1284930299.jpg

Lift and Medical Evacuation (MEDEVAC) Company Units:

A Co 2-52nd AVN REGT, B Co 1-126th AVN REGT, B Co 6-101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), A Co 5-159th AVN REGT/12th CAB, C Co 6-101st ABN DIV, 82nd Med Co 82nd Airborne Division, and the 45th Med Co.

post-14882-1284931063.jpg