M47 Dragon Missle

Here's the latest addition to my ord collection, the M47 Dragon Missile. This one was fired, and has very little damage to it when considering. I also aquired a complete extra engine compartment for it, so I may replicate a different warhead and tail section for the display. I located a tube for it, so that too shall be added to the display. Now... if I could only find a cheap sight... :) Enjoy the photos.

Missle002.jpg

Missle005.jpg

Missle004.jpg

Missle006.jpg

V-E-R-Y C-O-O-L!

In 1975, I remember watching a dragon proceed downrange at Ft Polk. Very cool to see with the "jets" shooting off the sides. Hard to explain but very impressive!

Kim

I qualified as a dragon gunner in 1982 while assigned to b 3/10 Inf 5th ID Ft Polk La. The Dragon was a Piece of &%*#. I would like to who got what for the military to adopt it. You would have been exposed to counter-fire for entirely to long for effective use and the vehicle mount never worked.The only bright side was having the alpha designator assigned and carrying and qualifying with a real weapon the M-67 90mm recoil-less rifle while in Alaska

I carried a C2 designator when I was in. M47 Dragon instructor. The real thing was a beast to carry, but it was fun picking off the OPFOR at a thousand meters with the simulators at NTC...

Wayne

I carried a C2 designator when I was in. M47 Dragon instructor. The real thing was a beast to carry, but it was fun picking off the OPFOR at a thousand meters with the simulators at NTC...

Wayne

and even more of a beast to jump, even if it was an empty tube! I had to jump it twice and it scared the crap out of me.

Brad, I jumped the Dragon more than a few times. That damned chunk-o-pipe they had in that thing... During AIT, I popped the rivits out of it and left the chunk in my locker.. ;)

I was a Dragon Gunner at Fort Campbell in the 80's, hated the thing, had to lug the night tracker, which incidentally was in its own large rucksack, that fit nicely on your front, while your regular large ruck fit on your back, to counterbalance you, then you had the tube, your individual weapon, which in my case was an M16A1, we begged for CAR-15's but they were reserved for Special Op's back then, and of course all the other stuff you had to carry to the field. Now, imagine trying to get into a UH-60 Blackhawk for an Air Assualt with all that garbage....

At least during our qualifications and live fire exercises I was able to knock out a dipsy dumpster with a live round...

I was glad to get rid of that monster and I traded it in for an M-60 Machine Gun instead. The gunner didn't like the fact that I qualified expert and he became my assistant gunner, so he had to carry the tripod, spare barrel, and T&E mechanism... Oh well...

Leigh....