Bill Millin D-Day bagpipe player died today ............

General Apathy

Mr. Standfast
Hi Mr Standfast, Bill was real in every sense of the word and was well recorded as having played the pipes ashore and at Pegasus bridge. By the time the film was made in 1962 Bill was around mid forties and like most people several pounds heavier than he was at 21 when he landed on the beaches.

In the film his part was taken by a young piper who was the Queen mothers personal piper.

Cheers Lewis

That is fascinating. Always makes me sad when I find things like this out after people are dead. I have had the opportunity to meet several very unusual and famous veterans, and I always dream of meeting veterans like Bill Millin. Some veterans seemed to be where history was so on the move. Stirring moments!

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

The news I recieved today

The funeral of Piper Bill Millen will take place Thursday, 2nd September at 2pm at Exeter Crematorium. :salute:

There is a book of condolence at Dawlish Museum where a set of his pipes, kilt, beret and dirk have been kept since the 60th Anniversary of D Day

No news on the remembrance service yet - to be announced

Lewis

Robswashashore

That part of the movie is my husband's favorite part!!!

He is a piper as well, and will be playing at our town's 9/11 memorial observance this year.

He also does every Memorial Day, Vets Day, and the occaisional funeral.

Nothin' like being "piped to glory" as he always says!

General Apathy
That part of the movie is my husband's favorite part!!!

He is a piper as well, and will be playing at our town's 9/11 memorial observance this year.

He also does every Memorial Day, Vets Day, and the occaisional funeral.

Nothin' like being "piped to glory" as he always says!

Hi Jean, pleased it rings a note with you both. :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy
Rest in Peace Piper Millin, You are Playing for the Angels in God's Choir Now...

Leigh....

:salute:

Hi Leigh, thanks for dropping by and leaving a message. ;)

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1283549467.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers,

At the following link below is a written news article on the life and funeral of Bill Millin, and also an interesting video clip of interviews with Bill Millin over the years.

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/uk/d...to+rest/3759482

Also the French will be holding a memorial service on September 11th at 14.00 Hrs on Sword Beach.

I will be attending the service.

ken

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

post-344-1284322703.jpg

post-344-1284322671.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers.

The memorial service for Bill Millin happened yesterday afternoon Sept 11 2010 at the coastal village of Colleville Montgomery where Bill came ashore on D-Day June 6 1944.

It was a fantastic sunny day, a good day to say our farewells to Bill.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1284323026.jpgpost-344-1284322993.jpg

Cont ........................

There were around 200 hundred people in attendance for the memorial, with floral bouquets and many single roses tossed into the surf and floating out to sea.

ken

General Apathy

Cont ........................

Finally after the crowds had left Pete Gray, his son Dominic Gray and myself stood on the beach and listened to a lone piper playing a favourite lament of Bills.

All three of us travelled numerous times through Normandy with Bill along with his bagpipes, and he was feted everywhere he went and everywhere he played, a gentleman throughout.

Pete Gray was sixteen years of age and imprisoned by the Germans on his home island of Jersey during WWII for painting Victory signs on walls and anti nazi propaganda. In the early 1970's Peter was the founding member of the historical military vehicle group in England from which many people derive pleasure and friendship today.

Dominc Gray served in the British paratroops and fought in the 1980's Falklands war, his helmet is featured in the airborne museum at Aldershot with a bullet entry hole in the front which skimmed his scalp and parted his hair and exited the rear.

Myself, forum Normandy reporter, and privileged to have met and known Bill Millin.

:salute:

ken

post-344-1284324143.jpg

post-344-1284324169.jpg

Thanks for posting that report Ken..as interesting and informative as ever...and, as you say, a sad but also somehow uplifting day.

Ian :thumbsup:

Must have been quite impressive and emotional.

Very nice pictures, thanks, I sure wish I could have been there.

So they're planning a memorial to Bill Millin?

Erwin