Gen. MacArthur's CIB

Bluehawk

There is an interesting commentary about MacArthur wearing all sorts of decorations that of questionable eligibility: http://thesmokingun.blogspot.com/2007/10/f...ue-case-of.html

That's a provocative link. However, I don't agree with all of the author's assumptions, in particular with his campaign awards, etc. I don't have the time now to go into my personal thoughts, but what I would like to see is McArthur's citations for his awards. Should be easy enough to come by?

Dave

I've read various MacArthur biographies. He evidently wasn't the kind of man to hide his light under the proverbial bushel! Take his visor cap, for example. It was customised with a gold laurel wreath around its hat-band...like a conquering Caesar...and designed by the General himself! And yet...he was known in some quarters as "Dugout Doug" because of his retreat into the Corregidor fortress. Maybe to be a truly great General you must have an equally great ego....and yet Generals Eisenhower, Bradley and Marshall seem to have got by without one! As for General Patton....that's another story!

Sabrejet

By your logic, he "qualified" based upon retroactive recognition of his WW I performance, whether or not "pesky regulations" exist.

The Combat Medic's Badge was awarded only to combat medics assigned/attached to infantry units during WW II. This was amended later to included medics assigned to other ground combat arms units; however, this amendment is not retroactive.

Quite aware of that, but was trying to come up with some form of at least logical rationale somebody, whoever it was, might have used to authorize that CIB to him, whether it was he himself or somebody else - is a question I still have.

Trying to discover, or reason out, who signed off on that order.

teufelhunde.ret
Trying to discover, or reason out, who signed off on that order.

In 1961 General MacArthur executed a deed of gift in which he gave the City of Norfolk all his trophies, medals, prizes, decorations, uniforms, flags, swords, battle souvenirs, personal papers, documents, records and other personal memorabilia. The library contains General MacArthur's original collection of 5,000 volumes augmented by gifts and purchases of books concerning the General, his times, and his associates. This is a non-lending reference and research library. The archives proper hold some 2 million documents, 86,000 photographs, 130 photograph albums, and 111 motion picture films in addition to sound recordings, newspapers, rare books, scrapbooks, and microfilms.

The archival collection is now available on 35mm microfilm. The film may be borrowed through interlibrary loan or purchased directly.

http://www.macarthurmemorial.org/archives.asp

In 1961 General MacArthur executed a deed of gift in which he gave the City of Norfolk all his trophies, medals, prizes, decorations, uniforms, flags, swords, battle souvenirs, personal papers, documents, records and other personal memorabilia.

And the City of Norfolk named a mall after him. What a trade! :thumbsup: (It is a nice mall though...)

Dave

Trying to clear up some difference of opinion about this, so any guidance would be appreciated.

In the January 31st, 1964 issue of Life magazine, on page 21, there is a letter to the editors from one Wisdom H. Stewart, Lt. Col. (Ret.), Clarksville, Tennessee, which reads, in part, "... General MacArthur could not hold either. Due to his age he would not be expected to be able to pass the rigid physical tests for the Expert Badge, and due to his rank he was not eligible for the Combat Badge ...". There is a reply from the editors as follows: "MacArthur was awarded the Combat Badge in 1961, honorarily, for 'performance of duty in ground combat while assigned as Commander-In-Chief in the Southwest Pacific Area from April 1942 - August 1945.' "

That's an interesting bit of detective work.

While I don't agree with the honor, I can't fight city hall.

I feel that some things should be respected as they were intended to be awarded.

Why didn't he get an honorary Good Conduct Medal ?

In the January 31st, 1964 issue of Life magazine, on page 21, there is a letter to the editors from one Wisdom H. Stewart, Lt. Col. (Ret.), Clarksville, Tennessee, which reads, in part, "... General MacArthur could not hold either. Due to his age he would not be expected to be able to pass the rigid physical tests for the Expert Badge, and due to his rank he was not eligible for the Combat Badge ...". There is a reply from the editors as follows: "MacArthur was awarded the Combat Badge in 1961, honorarily, for 'performance of duty in ground combat while assigned as Commander-In-Chief in the Southwest Pacific Area from April 1942 - August 1945.' "

There it is!

Now we know, and with thanks.

If I may say, it is a relief.

Omar Bradley also got and WORE a CIB, possibly granted in 1961 by the same rationalization as as MacArthur.

Well DANG just who all HAS got one!

If possible is there any way you can scan or post a pic of the article? This is a great find.

Chris

"The question remains "who" awarded it?"

Indeed...

I received this reply from the Archivist at The MacArthur Museum in Norfolk. Apparently some folks have not shared their info with the rest of us. :ermm:

John,

It was given to him by General George Decker, Chief of Staff U.S. Army, as an honorary award at MacArthur’s birthday party in 1961. Decker was G-3 for Sixth Army under MacArthur in World War II and he secured the award for the General when he was 81. When we outfitted MacArthur’s uniform in the 1980s we had the U.S. Army Office of Heraldry do it. They approved the placing of the CIB on the blouse that we have on display.

The only other thing that might be rather iffy is the Distinguished Flying Cross, which was given to him by his Air Chief, General Stratemeyer, in 1950. I have never heard of him receiving the Command Pilot Wings.

Hope this helps. We’ve had a lot of other inquiries about this over the past few days.

J.W. Zobel

MacMEM

IMO.... TIOH should not have approved the placement of the CIB (or the DFC) on MacArthur's display uniform because of the conditions under which he received them.

Dang right they have been 'inquired'

So Gen.Stillwell gets his by an act of Congress and Gen. MacArthur gets his as a birthday present from a former staff officer?

It would seem to me that for it to be an award with any merit,it to would have to have Congressional approval also.

...I received this reply from the Archivist at The MacArthur Museum in Norfolk. Apparently some folks have not shared their info with the rest of us....

John,

It was given to him by General George Decker, Chief of Staff U.S. Army, as an honorary award at MacArthur’s birthday party in 1961. Decker was G-3 for Sixth Army under MacArthur in World War II and he secured the award for the General when he was 81. When we outfitted MacArthur’s uniform in the 1980s we had the U.S. Army Office of Heraldry do it. They approved the placing of the CIB on the blouse that we have on display.

The only other thing that might be rather iffy is the Distinguished Flying Cross, which was given to him by his Air Chief, General Stratemeyer, in 1950. I have never heard of him receiving the Command Pilot Wings.

Hope this helps. We’ve had a lot of other inquiries about this over the past few days.

J.W. Zobel

MacMEM

Great work, BlackJack! Research rules again. Tracking down that Life article and making a direct inquiry to the MacArthur museum and posting your results adds some bona fide clarity to this discussion, as well as a welcome breath of fresh air.

...Well DANG just who all HAS got one!

Lt. Gen. Eichelberger wore the CIB after the war while commanding Eighth Army in japan. There is a very good picture of him (and his CIB) at his desk at Camp Zama in his memoirs: Our Jungle Road to Tokyo (Viking Press, 1950), which will be posted here as soon as the book can be retrieved from the garage. The CIB is not mentioned in his memoirs. However, according to his own account, Gen. Eichelberger saw plenty of infantry combat up close and personal as a major general commanding I Corps in New Guinea in 1942, particularly during the battle at Buna in December.

Great work, BlackJack! Research rules again. Tracking down that Life article and making a direct inquiry to the MacArthur museum and posting your results adds some bona fide clarity to this discussion, as well as a welcome breath of fresh air.

Thanks, Wailuna.

The Office of Heraldry approved the CIB on the displayed uniform... so what? The museum could remove the CIB at the very least if they had enough integrity to do so. I have to admit I knew nothing of how debatable so many of General MacArthur's awards were until reading this thread. It's rather disappointing to say the least.

I thank all who added ideas and research to this inquiry, and am grateful to know the answers.

I would like to think that the General would, himself, not have worn that CIB on his uniform during his lifetime. Surely he knew its meaning and regulations.

The Office of Heraldry approved the CIB on the displayed uniform... so what? The museum could remove the CIB at the very least if they had enough integrity to do so. I have to admit I knew nothing of how debatable so many of General MacArthur's awards were until reading this thread. It's rather disappointing to say the least.

I'm disapointed,and also angry,the reason being that on the average of once every month or two months either locally or within the state you see on the news or

read in the paper about the veteran who is just now being awarded the medals and badges that he was recommended for and they slipped thru the cracks and

along comes MacArthur and he gets 3 or 4 of everything just by being in the same hemisphere. And heres the old vet, who's proud as can be,and rightly so,just

to get a Bronze Star with MAYBE V device and a purple heart.

It's not honest,but more than that,it's just plain not fair.

El Bibliotecario
Maybe, but how many commanders were there above MacArthur in WWII? George C. Marshall. Anyone else?

Which leads one to ask, how many people had enough seniority over MacArthur make uniform corrections?

What always amuses me about the Great Thespian is comparing his umpteen rows of ribbons to the paucity of decorations worn by his 5 star contemporaries. Or was he just ahead of his time? Recently I saw a closeup of GEN Petraus, and noticed that at least half his ribbons were the sort that get handed out like party favors.

I think the IOH approved the placement in regard to exactly where the insignia went on the uniform. IOH does not have the authority to say who gets awards and badges.