The Smell

m1ashooter

I have the smell on my hands and its in my den. I've decided to start collecting web gear verses putting money into the stock market. I've just received a korea era M1945 pack and suspenders. Oh the smell, it reminds me of the surplus stores of the 60's and 70's. I'll post pictures ASAP.

"Old" has a very distinct smell, in many shades. I love the sweet smell found on some cloth and web gear. I will begin selling this scent in the form of cologne at the next MAX. You may have old ladies from the "cane and walker brigade" falling in love with you, but you will smell fine!

I ordered a large square helmet net a while back. When it's out of the envelope,the room is filled with the smell.

When it first hit me it was like I had gone back in time to when I was growin up.

"Ooooohhh that smell. Cant you smell that smell" or however the lyrics went. Of course they were referring to something else B):lol:

But, I sure do know what you mean. I love that smell and the nostalgic feelings it brings.

WHEW- sure glad I'm not the only one who goes all nostalgaic at the scent of that cosmoline/mothball SMELL. Even after all these years, the first thing I do on reciept of a new item is to take a whiff :rolleyes:

Sure brings back great memories of them old jam-packed surplus stores... :thumbsup:

Garandomatic

I have section of old tent material sealed up to preserve the smell. Luckily, my local surplus store reopened after a freaking drug store bought it out, and their Nam era paratrooper equipment cases stink real good of surplus. Whole closet has absorbed it!

If you're REALLY desperate for a fix, order a little fabric from one of the military vehicle canvas vendors...not cheap, but it'll smell that way nearly indefinitely...

If you're REALLY desperate for a fix, order a little fabric from one of the military vehicle canvas vendors...not cheap, but it'll smell that way nearly indefinitely...

Never thought of that,but now that you mention it,it do make sense.

Presents a rather funny vision of the newest form of "huffing". Can you picture some guy walking down the aisle at Wal-mart pulling a small, well folded and much used swatch of canvas out of his pocket, and with furtive glances, hunches over and inhales deeply. Leaving a a happily moronic glaze to his eyes and a drooling smile to his lips as he continues on his way. :blink:

Presents a rather funny vision of the newest form of "huffing". Can you picture some guy walking down the aisle at Wal-mart pulling a small, well folded and much used swatch of canvas out of his pocket, and with furtive glances, hunches over and inhales deeply. Leaving a a happily moronic glaze to his eyes and a drooling smile to his lips as he continues on his way. :blink:

*gulp* :blink: ..Didn't think anybody saw me... :ermm:

This definitely has a potential for becoming a pandemic among Old Guys (though it is catching on among younger collectors as well)- "USM1 Virus" (often referred to as Stuff Flu)... :think:

That smell is distinctive. One day I was with my wife and we walked in to a Salvation Army thrift shop. As soon as we walked in that GI smell hit me and I said to her "there is something GI in here somewhere." Sure enough in the back part of the store they had a huge pile of Desert Storm vintage, desert tan, insulated carriers for 5 Gallon water cans. She still laughs at the fact that I can find war surplus by smell.

Dennis

Got da Penny

About 15 years ago i was buying Military items with a co worker of mine. We always talked WW2 stuff on break etc.

One day he turned and looked me in the eye and said ..... "Ya know, if we could bottle THAT SMELL, .... We'd be millionaires" !! :D

Yep, i still take a whiff and just "grin" .... Definitely a GUY THING.

Carey

"...one of those man-candles with that smell."

:hapy0004: :hapy0004: :hapy0004:

Between the various comments above and Got da Penny's avatar, I'm ending my Saturday with a sore gut from laughing :thumbsup:

Thanks guys!!

Garandomatic

How about how WWI stuff is just a LITTLE bit different, too? Almost sweeter, or richer, or maybe just dirtier from being stored in the attic... Got a WWI gas mask bag in a pile of stuff at an auction today, and she sure smells different from the 2 musette bags that were with it. Good story there, one is the late war OD green with a 1943 date, other is more green than "khaki" with a 1942 date! Looks like I got the hole range of colors now.

Hmmm....... :think:

I used to wonder if this was normal. Still don't know if it's normal, but I know now that I'm not alone.

Anybody like the smell of old books. That's one that gets me too. ^_^

This is a great post! My closet used to smell like a 3 by 4 surplus store when I had more G.I. than I do now. But, to preserve the smell, I keep the remaining G.I. gear along with my Great Uncles Gear in his footlocker (its like a vault of mint stuff) and open it once in a while to smell it.

And I too can smell out good antique stores from the bad ones, although I'll have to admit I depend on my OD#3 and OD#7 vision from time to time.

I gotta a good question.Ever try and explain "The Smell" to that current or future lady in ones life?

Yep. Everytime she asks, "Can you open a window in here?" :lol:

I had forgotten about "that smell" until I got the Handie Talkie phone I just picked up from a local estate. I used to love it, but honestly I'm not a big fan anymore. Maybe if it was a nice fresh smell on my Jeep in the garage, that's one thing...but inside the house, no thanks.

As for mothballs, my skin breaks out and eyes swell...so no, I don't love it at all...