Post your minty Field Gear!

THAT GUY

craig_pickrall

That pouch in post # 50 is a grenade carrier. There are at least 2 threads here that discuss it further if interested.

That pouch in post # 50 is a grenade carrier. There are at least 2 threads here that discuss it further if interested.

Interesting. I gotta look for those posts. Thanks Craig.

• 1 month later...

Where did you find those Marine suspeders??? Did the Navy use them too? The other posts here dont seem to shed much light on them.

Hy Guys! Very good idea! It is always a pure pleasure to see old mint stuff... Here some of my best pieces... First a P.B.CO. 1918 cartridge belt with the rare USMC suspenders...Thanks for looking...

post-8381-1281426765.jpg

Fausto

• 3 years later...

Where did you find those Marine suspeders??? Did the Navy use them too? The other posts here dont seem to shed much light on them.

Those suspenders were used according to dated references by both Navy and Marines. They were made around 1914 if I recall, I have the twin set in my collection. The green color matches a 1910 USMC belt I have as well. They are hard to find and Fausto's are a very nice set. You maybe see 1 or 2 offered a year for sale. Kevin

Forgot all about this discussion (along with many others), and surprised it's still only 3 pages.

Here is some more mint canvas; Right and Left B.A.R. Bandoleers, both made in the same place at the same time:

post-3226-0-71552300-1408833190.jpg

Those early Marine Suspenders are...well, uh... :blink::P

Here is an M1912 (?) Cartridge Belt, made by the L.C. Chase Co. in 1918, with quite mismatching left and right halves.

Shows some age, but no use...

post-3226-0-79244300-1408847825.jpg

Here is a mint 1943 USMC Machete rig and the blade is the correct model #37 Collins for the USMC contact in 1943! The original Collins paper lable this just doesn't get any better~!

Craig

post-7997-0-98406800-1408901204.jpg

post-7997-0-92426200-1408901227.jpg

Abe, that's a great piece but what you actually have there is a USAAF contract machete. The AAF contract machetes will be the Collins No.37 stamped on blade, most No.37's you will find have what is referenced as a No.3 handle which is squared off on the back. The AAF contract had the No.6 handle as seen on your machete and typical with all wartime contracted 18" machetes. A green plastic scabbard is correct for your No.37. You need to find a US and dated stamped 18" machete for your USMC scabbard. That is a hard to find machete BTW.

post-56-0-79035400-1408902507.jpg

I am not sure exactly how the USMC procured or requisitioned machetes but they utilized the generic stamped U.S. M-1942 18" machetes by the various manufacturers during the war however their scabbards both cloth and the late plastic were property marked USMC. I am not sure where you obtained the info about the stamped No.37 being a USMC contract but I do not believe that to be accurate.

In 1942 the USAAF adopted the bolo machete seen in the top of the attached picture for inclusion in emergency sustenance kits and contrary to popular belief they are not OSS and were procured in large quantities. In late 1943 the AAF drafted and adopted a new drawing for a machete for inclusion in sustenance kits this being the 18" N0.37 with No.6 handle and with plastic sheath superseding the bolo type.post-56-0-20852700-1408903236.jpg

Here is were I got the information from, they could had used them esle were as well? but when the USMC in WWII had a contract for machetes with Collins they were suppiled with the model #37's

Craig

post-7997-0-27882000-1408903870.jpg

I will admit I do not have that book nor read that section so I don't know exactly what it says however I do know AAF equipment and blades from my own records and know that the No.37 in question was a special order by the AAF. The No.37 is the M-1942, is it possible Henry was referencing the Collins pattern number and it was a literal translation error where in fact the actual machetes delivered were not marked No.37 on blade?

He has a section in the book on the WWII USMC contracts. I borrow the book from a friend and read up on it which I don't have it in hand right now but the No 37 and USMC scabbards are correct together as I remember reading in the book.

It could be only a difference in the contract on which type of the handle material was used?

Craig

I'm a bit out of topic but is since more than 50 years I'm waiting to know more about a Collins Bowie my grandmother bought me in early sixties. It was Identical to this one in the pic with an elephant head. Scabbard was in excellent condituions (the one pictured is missing the nickled brass tip ending with a small ball) and with a number (maybe 10) not the same of the Bowie model (maybe 12). In those years I saw a combat camera movie about Cassino assault and it looked to me to see this bowie in the hand of indian troops in british uniform. I always wondered how this knife reached Italy. Any clue?

post-67-0-07986200-1408956884.jpg