6 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:57 AM

This is the only sterling EGA I've ever owned. It's marked H&H. Unlike others I've seen it lacks the blackened finish that would make it suitable for service uniform wear. It'a got a tarnished silver finish so am I correct in assuming it would have been worn on the dress uniform and polished bright?

Greg

Attached Images

• MVC_053S.JPG

#2 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,550 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:43 AM

All correct, these H&H were likely the most prominent of the WW2 period (based on the 1936 uniform records) and were seen on the barracks cover (of senior officers) well into the late 60's. Is yours a pinback or screwback?

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 26 September 2007 - 12:39 PM.
QUOTES

#3 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:45 AM

Thanks. I'd seen the silver and gold emblems and knew they were "dress". This one had me confused. I understand more sterling emblems were made during the war then brass ones.

greg

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 26 September 2007 - 12:39 PM.
QUOTES

#4 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,550 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:42 AM

Gary and I have been having PM's & emails about this group of wartime EGA's. They are unique to the period, I have presumed in many cases their inexpensive coating was simply removed for decoration, decorative uses and or use in MCL jackets and such. I consider Gary to be the expert on this group of period emblems. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif I am sure he will catch this post tonight and add more than I can to the topic of these emblems. Best regards;

#5 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:19 AM

It's a screw back.

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 26 September 2007 - 12:40 PM.
QUOTES

#6 GLM *Deceased*

GLM *Deceased*

DECEASED

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 84
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:11 PM

The emblem Greg posted to start this thread is what I consider a straight up WWII made sterling emblem by H&H. I haven't found any photographic evidence yet of this pattern being worn prior to late 1942-early 1943, so I don't know if I would classify it as falling into the M1936 pattern, but rather a design H&H adopted during WWII as an alternative to the larger, spread legged pattern that is considered by many to be the M1936 pattern by H&H. H&H offered both eagle designs in sterling I've shown here during WWII. Both of these emblems retain 99% of their finish and do appear to be quite a bit darker than the emblem Greg shows. I believe the finish on this type of sterling emblem is a cheaper version of gun barrel blueing and most likely one of the reasons you find these types with all different degrees of finish remaining. Just a little bit of rubbing will take the finish right down to bare silver, so it's really a good idea not to buff, shine or polish them. While the emblem shown by Greg is H&H, an identical bronze version for both cover and collars was made and hallmarked by H&H-Imperial. Finishes on the H&H-Imperial emblems can range from naked bronze to dark black and as of this date, I have not found any HH-Imperial marked emblems in sterling. While I have stated that I believe the sterling H&H emblem shown by Greg is straight up WWII in origin, I do have in my collection a matched pair of sterling collar emblems that goes with this cover emblem that have clutch fasteneres instead of screw posts. My guess is that these emblems were surplus WWII H&H stock that were equipped with clutch fasteners during the early 1950's? If anyone has a set of the clutch fastener H&H officer's emblems they know are WWII or have documentation attributing them to WWII, please contact me. It's possible that H&H offered clutch fasteners as an option during the war?
Gary

Attached Images

• HH_STERLING_SQUAT.jpg
  • HH_STERLING_SPREAD.jpg

#7 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,550 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:43 PM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the EGA "reference section". This area is were posts from the EGA "discussion section" are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the "EGA discussion area" which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users