Old Corps

Dirk

I guess the Marines in this picture qualify as old Corps. Several years ago I was made aware of this photo from another Forum member...well recently I found a original copy in a grouping I just picked up from a early China Marine. The photo was most likely taken near the Company offices in the building that houses the Quarterdeck. It shows a Guard Mount for the American Legation, Peking China c. 1907-08. Teufelhund(ret) and I are trying to ID the Sgt...and I think we have some very good candidates....chances are the Sgt came in around 1892 or so....a lot of character in these men's faces.

old_corpsa2.jpg

I guess the Marines in this picture qualify as old Corps. Several years ago I was made aware of this photo from another Forum member...well recently I found a original copy in a grouping I just picked up from a early China Marine. The photo was most likely taken near the Company offices in the building that houses the Quarterdeck. It shows a Guard Mount for the American Legation, Peking China c. 1907-08. Teufelhund(ret) and I are trying to ID the Sgt...and I think we have some very good candidates....chances are the Sgt came in around 1892 or so....a lot of character in these men's faces.

Great photo and shoes a good deal of early USMC equipment.

teufelhunde.ret
.... trying to ID the Sgt...and I think we have some very good candidates....chances are the Sgt came in around 1892 or so....a lot of character in these men's faces.

Dirk, here is the Sgt picture we spoke of yesterday. The image is pulled from the album contaned this this thread: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=76369&hl= I did track the Sgt further on the muster Rools until his retirement (30 years) in 1910. Little doubt in my mind it is him, unless we've overlooked someone. The issue with this photo & album is, many pic's are annotated being 1914 :think: Could this album refect all of Creamer's tours?

Copy_of_post_376_1274282625.jpg

post_376_1274282625.jpg

Darrell: The man in your photo is a 1st Sgt vice Sgt so it can't be Doran as I don't see Doran as a 1st Sgt in Peking.....that said the more China stuff I get into the more I see it is not uncommon for a China Marine to have pictures in his album from even before he got to China. The album you pulled the images from I think were taken 1909-10 time frame...as for our man being Doran right now I am in agreement with you but I think I want to check as far back as 1906 just to make sure we missed on one else. Dirk.

• 4 years later...

Great photograph! I have a question on equipment: The men are carrying Krags but they are not wearing the usual Mills single cartridge belt but instead have a type similar to the ones used with the 03 Springfield. I've never seen this before. How were the Krag cartridges carried in these, just loose in the pouches?