509th PIR pecularity

snake36bravo

snake36bravo

I don't know how long I've had this book, "Bloody Clash at Sadzot" but I've had it forever. 1st Edition printed in 1981. Anyway I bought a nice photo from the son of Estlee Ted Mercer on Ebay. Mercer is the guy on the right. What I liked about the image was the interesting way they were wearing the combat knife, the composition and hey, the fact that they were bada$$.

When I got the photo I remembered something.

Here's the photo I got.

post-2582-1281169075.jpg

snake36bravo

The thing I remembered was the book. Specifically a certain picture in it. This one. Taken on the same day no doubt and maybe even by one of the two troopers in the first one. Notice how they are also wearing the combat knife. In both pictures the leather leg straps for the holsters aren't braided or coiled but they all let them dangle.

Just one of those things that time took care of for me.

post-2582-1281170092.jpg

Misanthropic_Gods

Wow...good eye and good memory!

I like they way they are wearing their knives as well...seems like the dangling leg straps would get caught on everything though

snake36bravo

My memory isnt what it used to be trust me. Apparently it is also very selective. :lol:

I've seen the same peculiarities in photos of the 505th in Italy. Must have been a style thing. All the PIRs seemed to have worn things in certain ways to set themselves apart. Like the placement of the first aid pack for example. When I manage to get a 509th display together I will now know how to correctly display the combat knife and to go with 2 buckle boots instead of jump boots.

During this time you also see a lot of berets in wear.

post-2582-1281238863.jpg

Saskatoon Light Infantry

No, this was not a "509th PIR peculiarity."

Wearing the knife behind the holster was done in other units fighting in Italy. Besides the 509th PIB, I've seen photographs showing members of the 82nd Airborne (i.e. 325th GIR and 505th PIR), Darby's Rangers, FSSF and 45th Division doing the same.

snake36bravo
No, this was not a "509th PIR peculiarity."

Wearing the knife behind the holster was done in other units fighting in Italy. Besides the 509th PIB, I've seen photographs showing members of the 82nd Airborne (i.e. 325th GIR and 505th PIR), Darby's Rangers, FSSF and 45th Division doing the same.

Thanks for the heads up. The top two photos were purported to be taken in somewhere in France. The others with the berets were also three months prior to the Battle of the Bulge. I'll have to look at the Italy photos more closely now. Especially those related to the 505th PIR which I'm focusing on heavily.

At present my Airborne references are slim, mostly historical not photographic, and this was the first time I had seen this. Since I am focusing my collection only to Airborne it makes sense that I'll be on the learning curve for awhile.

Thanks again.

collectsmedals

Captain Alden who is pictured wearing the beret earned the Distinguished Service Cross at the Battle of the Bulge. There was a book written about him called "Captain Cool".

The 509 PIR soldiers were made honorary "red devils" by British Major General F. Browning during their time in England, and were permitted to wear the British airborne red beret.

My father was in the 509 during WWII and I still have his British jump wings he was awarded when he got his beret.

snake36bravo

Wow. Absolutely fantastic to see that fountain as it is now. Do you know what city it is in?

collectsmedals, you've got to be very, very proud and I really appreciate the information about the berets and the book on Captain Alden. I have been reading Airborne by Edwin P Hoyt as well as Ridgeway's Paratroopers by Clay Blair. Each hint at the competitive rivalry between British Major General F. Browning, Gavin, and Ridgeway. To the men, as fellow paratroopers I'm sure what mattered most was performance over politics and the passing on of wings or berets from one paratrooper to another is still an honor today.

Thank you both again. :thumbsup: