• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 agate hunter

agate hunter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,495
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:17 PM

i hope this meets forum standards :unsure: , because it does not focus on "militaria" but close enough :) , and a very interesting topic in my opinion. i always love exploring us military bunkers, especially here on the west coast and love the history surrounding them, like ft. stevens.

so if anyone has pictures or stories of bunkers here in the US, feel free to post them! here are some of my pics-

this is on tillamook head in northern oregon coast. its a radar/observation post.
bunker_resize_1.jpg
this is the top of the bunker

#2 agate hunter

agate hunter
  • Members
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

this is the entrance, blocked off from vandalism.
bunker_resize_2.jpg

#3 agate hunter

agate hunter
  • Members
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

this is my hand sticking through the gate trying to get a good inside picture. i just wonder what is in there and what could of gone on. really interesting.
bunker_resize_3.jpg

this is the remains of the radar tower
bunker_resize_4.jpg

#4 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,424
  • 8,049 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

I don't have any photos but that is really cool!

There were some old gun emplacements along the New Jersey coastline when I was there as a kid but never got to explore them. They may have washed into the ocean by now. This is very neat though.
Certainly hoping some more photos turn up. :thumbsup:

#5 dag

dag
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,058
  • 549 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

Here's a few old WWII bunkers/gun emplacements that were along the North Carolina coast, these pics are from the mid-1980's, these too are long gone in the ocean...
IMG_040.jpg
IMG_042.jpg
IMG_043.jpg
IMG_044.jpg

#6 dag

dag
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,058
  • 549 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:18 PM

And another I've seen in the US (barely), these are on Shemya Island (was Shemya Air Force Base when I was there in 1984). These are a few of the old gun emplacements/bunkers from WWII. Shemya was one of the smaller islands within sight of Attu, at the end of the Aleution Islands.
IMG_0124.jpg
IMG_0094.jpg
IMG_0259.jpg

#7 36-tex

36-tex
  • Members
    • Member ID: 98
  • 14,197 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

A picture of one of the several military watch-towers found along the Atlantic Coast in DE. These were built during WWII to protect the East Coast from possible German invasion.

Attached Images

• 1121856_World_War_II_observation_tower_Delaware_Seashore_State_Park.jpg

#8 skir

skir
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,493
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

Here is some shots of the old UDT 22 Bunkers our Det. called home for about 3 months in the early 80s at NAB Little Creek. Great art work in those bunkers that unfortunately were torn down just after we left.

Edited by skir, 06 August 2010 - 05:20 PM.

#9 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,617
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:07 PM

Great shots, had no idea that was down there.

I remember vainly looking for an abandoned MG bunker near the Olympia airport thatís still on the military grid maps of Ft Lewis. Itís not there anymore, trust me on that! I too live in your area, would love to know the other bunkers around these parts youíve found. Iíve spent time around the forts around the mouth of the Columbia and the north Puget Sound area, but those arenít exactly ďabandonedĒ as theyíre in state parks now.
I now regret not taking good shots of the artillery bunker overlooking the impact zone at Ft Lewis. Itís still used from time to time (I used it myself when working with a FA unit on active duty years ago) but Iíd love to know when it was built as it sure looks like a WW2-era emplacement to me.

#10 agate hunter

agate hunter
  • Members
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:13 PM

Great shots, had no idea that was down there.

I remember vainly looking for an abandoned MG bunker near the Olympia airport thatís still on the military grid maps of Ft Lewis. Itís not there anymore, trust me on that! I too live in your area, would love to know the other bunkers around these parts youíve found. Iíve spent time around the forts around the mouth of the Columbia and the north Puget Sound area, but those arenít exactly ďabandonedĒ as theyíre in state parks now.
I now regret not taking good shots of the artillery bunker overlooking the impact zone at Ft Lewis. Itís still used from time to time (I used it myself when working with a FA unit on active duty years ago) but Iíd love to know when it was built as it sure looks like a WW2-era emplacement to me.

If you're wondering where it is and how to get there, you have to drive down the oregon coast a little past seaside. go to indian head beach in ecola state park. when at the parking lot for indian head, grab a brochure about ecola or one of the brochures there and there should be a map of the area. it is labeled on the map. there's two trails, an actual trail (which i believe is part of the oregon coast trail) and an old maitenance road, which i took. go uphill for about 30 min. (there's plenty of markers on the trail, so you won't get lost) and you'll come to the hikers camp, with several little adrionick style shelters and what not, and this is the end of the road. then there is a trail that goes to the look out point for tillamook rock lighthouse. once there, you can clearly find the bunker. i went on a really sunny day, and it was still a bit muddy up there though, so if you happen to go on a rainy day, expect mud, but not much, if you live in the NW then you'll be used to it. also take time to admire the lighthouse, for this is the closest observation point for it, and in stormy weather the waves fly all over the lighthouse. really cool place. i can just imagine being in the radar post up there looking and waiting for japanese ships to come. really cool place.

#11 Misanthropic_Gods

Misanthropic_Gods
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,548
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:48 PM

I am currently writing a book about the former Nike Missile Sites of the Chicago Defensive Ring, part of my quest is to visit and document through photos all 22 of the Nike launch sites and their IFC's (even if they are now demolished) as well as using current satellite data and period USGS Aerial Survey photos to map out and show the changes that have gone on in the past 50 years.

Here is 1 of the sites I visited, It was site C-98 which was in what was Fort Sheridan, what little remains of the Launch site is still US Military property as it is on the US Army Reserve Center, so I went in and knocked on the door, talked to the SGT on duty and he directed me up to the SNCO of the 16th Psychological Operations Battalion upstairs, so I went in and they grilled me for a few minutes and eventually granted me permission as long as I did not take pictures of their buildings. Thanks guys!

The ubiquitous "US Property NO trespassing" sign
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Misanthropic_gods/P6100240.jpg

One of the doors to the underground missile magazine that the missile would raise out of.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Misanthropic_gods/P6100241.jpg

The pad
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Misanthropic_gods/P6100238.jpg

an escape hatch and air vent
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Misanthropic_gods/P6100246.jpg

The escape hatch again
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Misanthropic_gods/P6100243.jpg

I love old abandoned military installations :D

Edited by Misanthropic_Gods, 06 August 2010 - 10:51 PM.

#12 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 2,322
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:10 AM

Makapu'u Point - East end of Oahu

Pillboxes, gun emplacements, command bunker, observation posts

Attached Images

• IMG_2398.jpg

#13 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:11 AM

Makapu'u Point

Attached Images

• IMG_2346.jpg

#14 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:12 AM

Makapu'u Point

Attached Images

• IMG_2347.jpg

#15 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:14 AM

Makapu'u Point

Attached Images

• IMG_2367.jpg

#16 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:14 AM

Makapu'u Point

Attached Images

• IMG_2368.jpg

#17 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:16 AM

Makapu'u Point

Attached Images

• IMG_2373.jpg

#18 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:18 AM

Makapu'u Point

Attached Images

• IMG_2386.jpg

#19 Misanthropic_Gods

Misanthropic_Gods
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,548
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:21 AM

OUTSTANDING....really digging this thread as I am an active Urb Ex'er!

#20 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,617
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

I need to dig up the Grand Canyon trip photos we took, I got some photos of what is obviously a MG (or antitank) bunker on the Arizona side of Hoover Dam, at the very top of the heights overlooking it. Beats me if it's abandoned or still being used... :think:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)