MATCH THAT EMBLEM

GLM

Here are 2 officer's Collar EGAs. They are not hallmarked. "A" has the stabilizer pin at 3 o'clock and "B" has the pin at 12 o'clock. See the next photo.

I would like to trade one of these to find a left facing mate for either one of these.

Dennis

post-2843-0-28392400-1529093368_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

My USMC collecting goals for 2019 are very modest. One of them is to match 5 singles in the collection. I will periodically post some in hopes of a match, but for now I'll just start with these 5 enlisted dress...

-Large 1920s emblem, piinback with barrel latch, mounted center of crossbar and center of anchor

-P26 droop wing with the rough/choppy wings. Unmarked.

-Bold emblem, believe it to be early private purchase P37

-P37, NS Meyers shield marked on wing

-Dodge pattern, believe it to also be a WWII era, marked sterling on reverse of wing

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm late to this forum topic so I hope the interest is still alive.  After examining all the EGAs posted, I can find none "exactly" as this one that I recently acquired.  The pin hinge is different in every case but for an EGA posted in 2007 with the marking "Melb".  Does this mean there is no mate?

IMG_E0471.JPG

IMG_E0467.JPG

Your EGA is an Australian made one from WW2.  Made by the metalworker firm of Kenneth George Luke, Melbourne.  Found marked “K. G. Luke, Melb” and “K. G. Luke, Melbourne” and sometimes unmarked. Two variations exist. One constructed with separately applied continents like an officer device but also another with etched continents.  I have found them to be worn by both officer and enlisted as this was probably the only option for Marines to privately purchase insignia.  They come in collar sets only.  No hat or cap device is known to have been made.  

Mike Manifor

42 minutes ago, VTK said:

I'm late to this forum topic so I hope the interest is still alive.  After examining all the EGAs posted, I can find none "exactly" as this one that I recently acquired.  The pin hinge is different in every case but for an EGA posted in 2007 with the marking "Melb".  Does this mean there is no mate?

IMG_E0471.JPG

IMG_E0467.JPG

Not my area of expertise, but as you are trying to match an Australian made piece, the pool will be much, much smaller. As you said, the only other piece with a matching pin was made in Melbourne as well. You might have luck asking some of the Australian members here and on our sister, Worldwide, board to keep an eye out. Luke has some nice pieces.

8 hours ago, CDWells said:

Not my area of expertise, but as you are trying to match an Australian made piece, the pool will be much, much smaller. As you said, the only other piece with a matching pin was made in Melbourne as well. You might have luck asking some of the Australian members here and on our sister, Worldwide, board to keep an eye out. Luke has some nice pieces.

Well...actually, he has better odds of matching this than many US-made emblems. There were only a couple of hallmarks used by Luke...whereas a lot of US firms had up to dozens of different hallmark variants. It's ridiculous how many of the same pattern emblems I am waiting on matches for

21 hours ago, Brig said:

Well...actually, he has better odds of matching this than many US-made emblems. There were only a couple of hallmarks used by Luke...whereas a lot of US firms had up to dozens of different hallmark variants. It's ridiculous how many of the same pattern emblems I am waiting on matches for

True, they don't normally do US insignia, so their production span isn't as long. I'd almost guess the other one marked "Melb." is theirs, but Stokes and Sons, Est. 1854, is also out of Melbourne.

AJ Parkes is in Brisbane. Those are the only Australian insignia makers I can come up with off the top of my head. Gaunt of London might have had a satellite office there at one time. I know they had one here in the US. NYC? Besides Luke, which other Aussies make US stuff?

I wonder if anyone in my Aussie Buttons FB group has or has seen any EGAs around?

3 hours ago, CDWells said:

True, they don't normally do US insignia, so their production span isn't as long. I'd almost guess the other one marked "Melb." is theirs, but Stokes and Sons, Est. 1854, is also out of Melbourne.

AJ Parkes is in Brisbane. Those are the only Australian insignia makers I can come up with off the top of my head. Gaunt of London might have had a satellite office there at one time. I know they had one here in the US. NYC? Besides Luke, which other Aussies make US stuff?

I wonder if anyone in my Aussie Buttons FB group has or has seen any EGAs around?

Yes, Gaunt had an office in NYC...but the NYC marked insignias are far scarcer to find that the England marked ones

The only Australian firm known to make USMC EGA insignia was KG Luke in Melbourne...I have seen only 3 different hallmarks used, if memory serves. I have no doubt the ones marked "Melb' are also Lukes

• 11 months later...