Buck Knife(s) and military use

doyler

I picked this Buck hunting pattern knife up this spring.I know Buck knives were and still are bought and used by military personal.I saw many of them in pawn shops when I was able to visit Ft.Campell back in 1979.

My question is does anyone have any solid info on the Buck markings that can date them to a specific time frame or period.The one I am posting looks like the Model 124 Frontiersman.Marked only BUCK USA.IT has a black handle and has the reddish spacers at top under the pommel and above the cross guard.The lanyard hole in the pommel was done by the original owner Im guessing as I havent seen this feature on othe Buck hunting patterns.

Feel free to post other examples and any info is greatly appreciated.I think the Buck knives are very under appreciated as they have seen a lot of use in the military.I know there is a strong collector base and intrest in them as well.

Thanks

RD

post-342-1280691478.jpg

Ron,

Hope that this explanation on John Gibson's website helps. Gary or Frank, or someone else knowledgeable may be able to expand.

http://www.militaryfightingknives.com/collection.html#Buck

I do not have a fixed blade Buck, but I do have a period Buck 110 folder that was very popular in Viet Nam. Here is an article on these folders:

http://www.knifeworld.com/viknandbuusa.html

You may want to copy the article to MS Word and expand the fonts, or you may go blind trying to read the article on your computer screen!

RON- I don't recall the "BUCK" model designation, but I think it was known as the "General" It was a fairly large knife, the scabbard was either a normal type, or it was in the holster type that flapped over the pommel then snapped down. These were PX items real popular in the mid-70's. I bought a Buck 110 in 1970, carried it a few years, but never really like it. Too hard to keep sharpened. Still have it, and belt sheath. Switched to a Gerber folder in 1975, narrower handle and easier to sharpen. SKIP

RON- I don't recall the "BUCK" model designation, but I think it was known as the "General" It was a fairly large knife, the scabbard was either a normal type, or it was in the holster type that flapped over the pommel then snapped down. These were PX items real popular in the mid-70's. I bought a Buck 110 in 1970, carried it a few years, but never really like it. Too hard to keep sharpened. Still have it, and belt sheath. Switched to a Gerber folder in 1975, narrower handle and easier to sharpen. SKIP

Thanks for the links GB

Skip

I had a General also it was a Model 120.Had a longer blade than the one I posed and a bit narrower.Also have an older 110 folder from about 1978-79 era.

Ron- As I recall didn't the "General" have a brown handle? For some reason or other that sticks in my mind. SKIP

Ron- As I recall didn't the "General" have a brown handle? For some reason or other that sticks in my mind. SKIP

May have.I have seen some of the 124s on line with different colored handles

My 120 had a black handle and an open top sheath with a strap and snap closure.Also was model marked 120 on the blade.

Ron- I'm way out in left field on Bucks. Trying to go back 35+ years, on knives that never really interested me. I think I'll stick to what I know. LOL SKIP

Ron- I'm way out in left field on Bucks. Trying to go back 35+ years, on knives that never really interested me. I think I'll stick to what I know. LOL SKIP

:lol::lol::lol:

Im not far behinde you Skip.

I was thinking I have seen some Bucks/read an article about the early ones having a reddish brown handle for a short time?I bought my 120 about 1980.Was new in the box and I never used/carried it.Ended up selling it at a show.Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

RD

Here are two I own.

I believe both are from the Vietnam Era, if anyone knows other wise please let me know.

Top, a Buck, marked,

BUCK

119 -

USA

Bottom, a Schrade, marked

SCHRADE +

USA LB7

post-9491-1280986510.jpg

The actual blades.

This is where the link to US Militaria comes in, the Schrade LB7,

my father purchased for me on Ebay 2 years ago.

The seller said he carried it in Vietnam and let me tell you, it sure looked like it. :lol:

My dad cleaned it up :crying: and gave it to me for Christmas. I never knew about

the original condition (or the knife) until I got it. ( I used to have a "before" picture.)

The Buck 119 came from ebay about a year ago, couple bucks.

The seller claimed he got it from a guy who claimed to have carried it in Vietnam.

post-9491-1280986622.jpg

Your buck is a nice one but a bit later.The model number on the blade and the type of scabbrd with embossed Buck is a bit later.Not uncommon to find older knives in newer sheaths though.Check out the link above to the dating format and see if your falls in the 70s to 80s vintage.

Thanks for posting Pvt T.

RD

Salvage Sailor
Here is my Buck model 315 from 1984:

4861315529_fb047cc1b6.jpg

4861321903_7004398c33.jpg

4861326481_255b27cac7.jpg

This model was popular with the Deck Apes, the rounded blade and marlin spike being very useful for working with lines. & canvas.

Just out of curiuosity! What is the rough estimate on the value of a 1970 version of a Buck 110 w/ original leather belt pouch? In used good condition. THX SKIP

post-2104-1281043409.jpg

post-2104-1281043419.jpg

post-2104-1281043435.jpg

My Buck 110 and case. Carried this from '75 to '85 when I went to the Buck Yatchsman. Continued to carry that knife in the 110 case until I retired in '99. Note the sail twine field repairs to the case. In the second photo, you can just see where I carved my name into the handle. All the Signalmen on that ship had these knives, so we each carved our names in them and filled in the scratches with epoxy. Interestingly enough, on that same ship, the SMs came into possession of a crate of 100 never issued MK1 knives in the fiber scabbards still wrapped in the wax paper. We each took three or four and traded the rest off. Not sure what ever happened to the ones I had.

Steve Hesson

post-2104-1281043580.jpg

post-2104-1281043589.jpg

post-2104-1281043597.jpg

My Buck Yatchsman. Proved to be, for me, the better knife at sea. As Salvage said, more functional. I got it for a pack of Salems from a Seaman. Long Story, but do not feel like I cheated him. Still have them both

Still-A-Marine
Just out of curiuosity! What is the rough estimate on the value of a 1970 version of a Buck 110 w/ original leather belt pouch? In used good condition. THX SKIP

I didn't do as well as the others. I paid $62 for my Buck 110 but it does not have the leather pouch. Bill

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=83365